PDA

View Full Version : Is Turkey a good bedtime snack?

wrestlemaniac
06-02-2005, 05:06 AM
Just wondering. I know it has an essential amino acid called tryptophan which helps you sleep (and I have a hell of a time getting to sleep). My question is how does this high protien food stack up against cottage cheese? I know theres a million and a half "bed-time snack" treads on here at a time but this is different, I'm just wondering how well this food stacks up (where as most of them are asking for examples of what to eat before bed or if eating before bed is a good or bad idea).

If this is full of good slow digesting protiens like Cottage Cheese is then IMO it would be natures perfect bedtime snack. If not then maybe I'll have a little turkey and a lot of cottage cheese (or if it's a really bad idea I'll just stick to cottage cheese I guess lol).

Also I did do a search and I couldn't really see anything that applied. Thanks in advance guys.

TheGimp
06-02-2005, 05:08 AM
Flesh takes a long time to digest so it sounds fine to me.

Drai's
06-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Yeah, it's good. People are quick to suggest cottage cheese, but in reality, basically any whole food protein (meat, poultry, fish, eggs, etc.) works just as well.

Geeper
06-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Sounds prefect... but it probably would depend on what you where eating with it.

Just plain turkey= awesome (but dry)
Turkey sandwich? Mayo and the bread would be fast absorbing carbs with no energy expenditure your body would store them for when you needed them (IE fat)

ryuage
06-02-2005, 11:25 AM
huh

Slim Schaedle
06-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Sounds prefect... but it probably would depend on what you where eating with it.

Just plain turkey= awesome (but dry)
Turkey sandwich? Mayo and the bread would be fast absorbing carbs with no energy expenditure your body would store them for when you needed them (IE fat)
Double huh

Geeper
06-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Double huh

All I mean is if you ate just turket, it would be dry but a great evening snack, but if you ate a turkey sandwich the carbs in the meal wouldn't be used for energy during the night becas your sleeping (carbs are used as energy and as your energy source) so your body would store the carbs until you needed that energy, the way your body stores energy is as fat.

Hope this makes more sense, I did a lot of reading on when to eat carbs ect and don't personally eat any after 5pm and try to eat a majority of them pre-noon so I have all day to use that energy, and let me tell you since I've been doing this there has been a huge change in my body.

wrestlemaniac
06-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Alright, thanks for letting me know. I'm going to eat turkey everynight now lol. I might just have it with some mustard (since ketchup is pretty much pure sugar).

ryuage
06-02-2005, 02:50 PM
thats funny i thought it stores it as glycogen as well?

Slim Schaedle
06-02-2005, 03:18 PM
thats funny i thought it stores it as glycogen as well?
You beat me to it.

Slim Schaedle
06-02-2005, 03:20 PM
All I mean is if you ate just turket, it would be dry but a great evening snack, but if you ate a turkey sandwich the carbs in the meal wouldn't be used for energy during the night becas your sleeping (carbs are used as energy and as your energy source) so your body would store the carbs until you needed that energy, the way your body stores energy is as fat.

Hope this makes more sense, I did a lot of reading on when to eat carbs ect and don't personally eat any after 5pm and try to eat a majority of them pre-noon so I have all day to use that energy, and let me tell you since I've been doing this there has been a huge change in my body.
Carbohydrates are not only used for energy required during physical activity. It's good that you've read up on the stuff (which actually sounds more like fad diet reading material) but you need to read more before posting things are are not exactly true.