PDA

View Full Version : is flat bench enough?

ilankaplan1
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
i used to do flat bench, incline flyes and the flys where u sit up. since there aint no upper chest , lower chest etc... i feel that im wasting my time doin incline dumbell flies after flat bench, since i work my shoulders and all that stuff anyway. is doing flat bench press enough for my chest?

WBBIRL
06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Flat bench is just one chest lift, if you feel its enough then I guess it is. Personally you could use atleast one other lift that directly targets the pecs... maybe incline and decline benching, while they mainly work the chest again, they change the stabliers/synergists.

GonnabeBig
06-02-2005, 03:03 PM
careful... incline flies can mess up your shoulders... stick to incline presses

ilankaplan1
06-02-2005, 04:05 PM
do i even need incline presses if i already do military presses. im willin to do 1 other chest excersize but only if its gonna be necessary ..

cosmicdebree88
06-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Generally, a different exercise for the same muscle will hit the same muscle at a different angle or utilize different stabilizers. Incorporating different exercises into your routine will help you to better avoid plateaus IMO. However, just doing flat BB bench press and then switching to a different exercise when you hit a plateau would probably work also.

PhilsterT
06-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Dips?

BG5150
06-02-2005, 07:44 PM
wide-grip flat bench are good for the outside pecs.

flat bench flyes good for that as well.

dual-cable flies from the high position will work the inner pecs.

dumbell presses hit some outside pecs, too.

pec dec machine for inner pecs and definition

decline bench and dumbells for lower pecs.

What are your goals? Mass or definition? Power?

RussianRocket
06-02-2005, 08:01 PM

:cry:

ilankaplan1
06-02-2005, 08:05 PM

the one
06-02-2005, 08:09 PM
do we really need to go over it again?

JeffWillConquer
06-02-2005, 09:14 PM
lol at that guy. Anyways, I guess it would depend how hard you're working on the bench. If you're bench is a pretty hardcore workout, it might be enough.

BG5150
06-02-2005, 09:15 PM
My bad. I usually don't look at signatures, esp with stats. :(

BG5150
06-02-2005, 09:18 PM
But wouldn't doing a variety of exersizes that utilize different sets of muscle fibres be beneficial overall? Benching over and over would lead to a plateau eventually, and w/ the strengthening of all the chest muscles would lead to the goal quicker.

Or am I all turned around on the subject.

Max-Mex
06-02-2005, 10:59 PM
i used to do flat bench, incline flyes and the flys where u sit up. since there aint no upper chest , lower chest etc... i feel that im wasting my time doin incline dumbell flies after flat bench, since i work my shoulders and all that stuff anyway. is doing flat bench press enough for my chest?

I came the this realization a long time ago as well, so I just do Barbell bench, then DB bench, then either an isolation (like a fly of any kind) or dips. That just about covers the whole spectrum for chest IMO.

Dedicated
06-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Flat bench is responsible for every bit of muscle I have on my chest. I have also done alot of flys, but it seems when I bench goes up my chest gets bigger.

Still I like to do flys though.

BG5150
06-03-2005, 12:00 AM
But what about incline bench? I heard it's GREAT for isolating the upper chest muscles!

...bg

j/k (I read the thread, so don't flame me!)