PDA

View Full Version : maltodextrine v. sugars

jazer80
06-03-2005, 05:43 PM
1)people talk about how it's very good to get excessive simple sugars out of your diet. why? also, are these reasons applicable to maltodextrine as well?
(please omit responses directly related to the insulin spike, as i know we all know about that like the back of our hands).

2)if i add enough fiber to my maltodextrin-based weightgainer, would it be similar to an oat based weightgainer? why/why not?

Built
06-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber slows the rate of gastric emptying, where insoluble fiber does not.

For post workout, as you are well aware, you WANT the fast insulin response of malto/dex, and these sugars both quickly turn into glucose in your system, which is taken up preferentially by muscle glycogen. Regular table sugar, sucrose, is functionally a glucose bonded to a fructose. Fructose is preferentially taken up by liver glycogen. That's why it's contraindicated for post workout nutrition.

TooSmall
06-03-2005, 05:58 PM
I've also read that fruit can actually be OK post workout because replenishing liver glycogen puts you in an anabolic state (assuming u get enough other carbs too)

Built
06-03-2005, 06:05 PM
I've been seeing buzz around this recently. Do you know how MUCH fructose you would need to accomplish this?

jazer80
06-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber slows the rate of gastric emptying, where insoluble fiber does not.

For post workout, as you are well aware, you WANT the fast insulin response of malto/dex, and these sugars both quickly turn into glucose in your system, which is taken up preferentially by muscle glycogen. Regular table sugar, sucrose, is functionally a glucose bonded to a fructose. Fructose is preferentially taken up by liver glycogen. That's why it's contraindicated for post workout nutrition.
ya i'm using psyllium husk which is soluble.

is sugar bad for you for reasons aside from it's GI value?

Built
06-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Sugar's not bad for you. It's just empty calories.

wrestlemaniac
06-03-2005, 07:18 PM
well... if you take the GI factor out of sugar then theres really no diffence between it and any other carb right? Every carb would be equal.

Built
06-03-2005, 07:21 PM
For me, it's all about the hunger control.

Dammit it's unholy how much I love food.

tsungwei
06-03-2005, 07:51 PM
so how effective is

some juice after workout in replacement of dextrose?

say 2 cups... 70g of sugar

Built
06-03-2005, 07:52 PM
My feeling is that it's probably too much fructose and not enough dextrose.

Dedicated
06-04-2005, 12:39 AM
1)people talk about how it's very good to get excessive simple sugars out of your diet. why? also, are these reasons applicable to maltodextrine as well?

Not sure if this helps. But basically you have a 2 hour window post-workout. So it's really good to take it right after you workout. Dextrose or Maltodextrin will both do it. On cuts I tend to skimp a little postworkout. I'm supposed to take like 80 grams or something according to my bodyweight, but I don't take that much. I'm sure if I did, I would notice a huge difference in recovery. I notice a huge difference now with taking half that.

Now at other times excessive simple sugars are bad, you just don't want that. I mean there are just better alternatives you can eat that will give you more energy. For example, I can tell the difference in energy in my day if I eat 5 slices of white bread or 5 slices of wheat. Wheat keeps me full all day long and energized, whereas the white bread doesn't fill me up as much.

Dedicated
06-04-2005, 12:40 AM
so how effective is

some juice after workout in replacement of dextrose?

say 2 cups... 70g of sugar
I've tried that, didn't work as well as dextrose. If there is such a thing as a dextrose responder I am it. It really makes a difference for me.

jazer80
06-04-2005, 09:01 AM
not using this as solely pwo, i'm using ~ 250K of it with my meals at work, which is typically 2 daily. i figure that if i add my fiber to it, and am consuming it with a meal, it will be an easy 500K bump daily, plus pwo shakes