PDA

View Full Version : How important is PPWO meal?

TooSmall
06-03-2005, 06:01 PM
If I just have a big shake of whey and maltodextrin when I'm leaving the gym, is it that important to get another meal an hour later? Reason is that it's not really that easy for me to have a PWO shake and then be able to get a whole food meal 1-1.5 hrs later beacuse of work/classes.

If I can't get a PPWO meal, would it better to just have a regular meal post-workout (maybe a whey shake, cream of wheat and banana) and then have another meal a few hours later?

Built
06-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Carry solid food with you. You really need both. Your anabolic window is active for several hours (actually longer, but the first few hours are critical) after lifting. I get in about half my day's worth of calories after I lift, and I lift at night.

TooSmall
06-03-2005, 06:24 PM
another thing is, part of me just isn't comfortable taking in 60g of maltodextrin. I mean, I work out fairly hard, but I just dont feel like taking in a bunch of carbs with a GI of over 100. Just doesn't feel warranted. I guess i'm just more comfortable with solid food.

Built
06-03-2005, 06:27 PM
I hear you. Even when I'm bulking, I don't do as much as is usually recommended either - I'm IR, and I get DIZZY if I go too high on the post workout dex/malto. Right now I'm cutting, so I'm on ONLY solid food because I get too damned hungry when I drink my meals - I want to CHEW, dammit!

At the moment, I consume oats with protein pre and post workout.

Dedicated
06-04-2005, 12:09 AM
another thing is, part of me just isn't comfortable taking in 60g of maltodextrin. I mean, I work out fairly hard, but I just dont feel like taking in a bunch of carbs with a GI of over 100. Just doesn't feel warranted. I guess i'm just more comfortable with solid food.

Yea it isn't necessary, there are alternatives to a pwo shake. You can have a meal. I find it does help me to take a postworkout shake. I get more out of a pwo shake than I do a meal if the shake has dextrose. I've never tried maltodextrin, but they are supposed to be the same pretty much.

Oh and generally I also have a meal, usually 30min to 1 hour after my workout.

Wild Cat McCane
06-04-2005, 11:28 AM
I am with built. I eat hard all day, but after lifting my body just wont let me stop eating.

on the dex and malto. I read something pretty comprehensive (i understood about half of it) on the abc site (abcbodybuilding or something?) anyhow, it was saying it was essential. It empties your stomach the quickest and brings your nutrients the fastest.

I am the same though. It just seems like too much? I'm still doing it every other work out or so but...I have my doubts on long term effects. eeeh

Built
06-04-2005, 12:02 PM
It's not essential - but if you skip it, you better make sure your pre-workout nutrition is in line.

THe difference between malto and dex is in the sweetness (malto isn't sweet) and the osmolality - malto doesn't tend to bloat you like dex does. When I use it, I tend to do half and half.

Drai's
06-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Your nutrition for the day, or even week, is going to be a lot more important than a single meal.

Maki Riddington
06-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Absolutely. However if you wish to optimize your recovery and muscle building capabilities consuming a pre workout shake and a post workout meal/shake is very important.

YungLifter
06-04-2005, 06:30 PM
what woul a good pre workout shake consist of?

Built
06-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Depends on how soon it is before you lift.

If it's within a half hour or so, I'd say whey with dex. If it's farther ahead than that, something slower and solid would do the trick.

WBBIRL
06-05-2005, 10:52 AM
I find that after I lift hard and heavy Im just on a warpath when it comes to food... I mean Im a big eater to begin with but after a good maxout day I could really just eat for an hour solid. The biggest real food meal ive ever eaten (by real food i mean not something like a pizza thats been dilevered) was 10 chicken thighs and a box of lipton noodles.

But now that im trying to cut down a little, Ill usually have a shake right before I lift and then within half an hour after im done eating and about another hour after that ill eat a meal.