PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here. Should I eat to cut, bulk, or at maintenence?

wax on wax off
06-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Okay, I have my routine down (it's a four day split) that I will be starting monday, but am not sure if I should be eating to bulk, cut, or at maintenence.

Here is my situation.

I am just below 5'6" and weigh about 200 lbs.

Right now my body fat is at 20% or so, and to describe my body I would say it looks like big legs and stomach, man boobs, and small arms.

I've heard that as a newbie I am in the unque position of being able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

But what, considering my body, would be the best way to go about that?

Eat 12 x my body weight in cals with cardio added in?

Eat 12 x my body weight in cals but with no cardio?

Eat 18-20 x my body weight in cals but with cardio added in?

Eat 18-20 x my body weight in cals but without cardio?

Eat at maintence but with cardio added in?

Eat at maintence but without cardio added in?

What do you guys think will be the best plan of attack right now?

spencerjrus
06-04-2005, 05:26 PM
You should be cutting very slowly, find your mainteance cals and take away 1-200. Start lifting heavy and you will see your BF% start to drop while you get stronger and build more lean mass. It takes awhile but it will pay off. Try to aim for losing 1-2 lbs a week, any faster than that and you risk losing more muscle mass than you should be.

JeffWillConquer
06-04-2005, 05:31 PM
5'6 200 is pretty big. Cut slowly.

wax on wax off
06-04-2005, 07:35 PM
You should be cutting very slowly, find your mainteance cals and take away 1-200. Start lifting heavy and you will see your BF% start to drop while you get stronger and build more lean mass. It takes awhile but it will pay off. Try to aim for losing 1-2 lbs a week, any faster than that and you risk losing more muscle mass than you should be.

How do I find my maintenence cals?

Isn't it usually 15 x your body weight roughly?

Also, when you say "take away 1-200" do you mean subtract 100-200 cals from what my maintenence cals are and have that be my base calories?

JeffWillConquer
06-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Maintenence cals is the amount of calories you eat to stay at a constant weight. It varies for everybody, so multiplying bodyweight can only give you a very approximate number.

And yeah, that's what he mean't by take 1-200 away.