PDA

View Full Version : just wondering

spanky33
06-05-2005, 12:58 PM
This is one of those pointless threads, but I'm just curious to see if anyone else thinks this way:
I'm currently cutting, and once a week (usually saturday) I have a 'cheat' day. Now, I found that I had two choices. Either eat well above above maintenance, but high carb/low fat. This would replenish my glycogen stores and allow me to eat a lot. The problem with this was that I wouldn't be able to eat many of those foods I'd been craving all week, the high fat high sugar foods (well obviously I could eat them, but that would lead to high fat storage). So my 2nd option was eating at maintenance, but eating whatever the **** I want.

I usually choose option 2. I dont go over maintenance, but I do it by eating donuts and chocolate LOL.

Anyway, what do u guys do? what would you choose?

WBBIRL
06-05-2005, 01:24 PM
The thing is that your body could use the extra cals... dont be too paranoid about the extra fat if its only one day a week. I would suggest option number 1 and not two. By eating like you suggest in the second method your probably robbing your body of proteins and other vital nurtients that you need more then anything. If you stay strict at x ammount of cals then your metabolism will slow because it will naturally try to keep you from starving yourself. Which is why you need varation... say if your on a 2000 call diet, every so often it will do you good to jump to say 2500-2700. Thats like 1/7th the cals in a pound of fat... not that much extra when you think about it.

Unreal
06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
I was wondering, last weekend I went to the cheesecake factory. Had a awesome shrimp/chicken/rice curry dish and a slice of cheesecake. Easily 2500+ calories without considering the 1200 or so I took in the morning. Seems like if you cut 300-400 calories a day, then go over by 2000+ on a cheat day, you basically just undid a weeks worth of work. Or does your body just crap out alot of the calories if you really overdue it one day?

spanky33
06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
i've wondered that too actually. cuz when i go back to maintenance after my cutting is over, i want to still 'cheat' on the weekends. so i plan on eating 200-300 sub maintenance monday-friday, then go way overboard on weekends. dont know if i'll actually maintain weight like that though. never tried it b4. sounds fun though.

WBBIRL
06-05-2005, 01:35 PM
So your saying that you cut on around 1700 cals??? thats pretty low to me and im a big man cutting on 2000-2200 and I think thats low. When was your last cheat day, were you due for one??? If you last cheat day was a week or more ago id say your fine. And I find it hard to believe that the dish you ate was over 2500 cals... id be supprisedi if it was over 2000.

monotone
06-05-2005, 03:04 PM
If you stay strict at x ammount of cals then your metabolism will slow because it will naturally try to keep you from starving yourself. Which is why you need varation...

in order to be in "starvation mode" you have to be well below maintence cals. i wouldnt really worry about going into starvation mode because rarely, if ever would you ever reach that point.

Unreal
06-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I've been sticking around 2100-2300 cals a day so far. Right now I'm 6'2" 215ish.

Check my fitday if you want to see what I've been doing.
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=nvisokey

WBBIRL
06-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Your metabolism will adjust to whatever caloric range you keep it in.... if you go lower then what it needs then it will slow down unless you vary it up. If your body needs and it used to having 2500 a day and suddenly you just drop 1000 of them off then you body will slow to make up for the defecit.