PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition and schedule conflict.

GotLift
06-06-2005, 02:53 AM
I just started working out again and I need help in the nutrition department. All of the information about nutrition seems to be overwhelming and I think I'm low on memory. My biggest problem is my schedule. I work 12 hour night shifts from 6pm -6am Sun- Tues. and every other Sat. I am off Wed-Fri. and every other Sat. and try to maintain a normal day schedule (with the exception of Wed. when I sleep until noon.

Sounds confusing huh? I haven't even begun to try to maintain an eating schedule. At most I eat 3 meals a day and sometimes I eat less. I usually have a pretty good dinner (chicken, steak, or ground beef with potatos, and a side of greens and some bread) anywhere from 3-5 hours before bed. I do snack some during the day, but it isn't always healthy. I'm trying to be more concious of what I eat but it seems impossible to actually maintain a diet.

Any advice, tips, or slams?

HILL
06-06-2005, 06:27 AM
It depends on what your are trying to achieve. if you are trying to bulk just eat all the time and everything. can you eat at work. you must get a good few breaks on your 12 hour shift take food with you and eat that as long as you get a good few meals in you should be ok. Fitday.com is good to help teack your calories it only takes a few minutes to do.

Unreal
06-06-2005, 07:08 AM
The joys of working at Intel.

Only issues I could see is if your in the fab and can't get out to eat, even though that shouldn't be an issue. Advice would be the same for anyone. Start by eating the right things in the correct portions. Monitor your calories/fat/protein/carb intake and see where its at. Get it to a healthy level and go from there.

Drai's
06-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Try to eat every few hours and get a meal in a lot closer to bed than you are right now. In 99% of cases, work can't be used as an excuse for a poor diet.

GotLift
06-06-2005, 02:56 PM
The joys of working at Intel.

Only issues I could see is if your in the fab and can't get out to eat, even though that shouldn't be an issue. Advice would be the same for anyone. Start by eating the right things in the correct portions. Monitor your calories/fat/protein/carb intake and see where its at. Get it to a healthy level and go from there.

Yeah, the schedule always gives it away.

Try to eat every few hours and get a meal in a lot closer to bed than you are right now. In 99% of cases, work can't be used as an excuse for a poor diet.

Yeah, I guess I just need to commit. It is hard to eat closer to bedtime because my wife and I eat dinner together and we have different goals. She is afraid of gaining weight by eating too close to bedtime, which I always thought was the case.

Drai's
06-06-2005, 02:58 PM
It is hard to eat closer to bedtime because my wife and I eat dinner together and we have different goals. She is afraid of gaining weight by eating too close to bedtime, which I always thought was the case.

Eat dinner with your wife and then eat another meal later.

Also, the time of day you eat doesn't matter. It's the number of calories you take in.

Shao-LiN
06-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Eat when you can. 3+ meals is perfectly fine. If you want to fit in more, just prepare a liquid meal or MRP...quick to down.