PDA

View Full Version : White vs. Dark

ddegroff
06-06-2005, 06:30 PM
I was just wondering which is better for you white meat chicken or dark meat?

Built
06-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Dark has more fat, but it has a better taste and texture.

I make chicken soup from the dark meat - I roast it first (tastes better that way), skin and debone the meat, chill the soup, and skim off all the fat. Lets me get the best of both worlds.

ddegroff
06-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Ok thats what i thought as far as the fat content. But that soup sounds really good! thanks

Built
06-06-2005, 06:58 PM
It's good! It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but I only have to do it once - I make a huge pot of it once every week or two. Just toss the thighs in the oven doused in balsamic vinegar, seasoning salt, pepper, whole cloves of garlic, couple of onions. Roast it until it smells good, then dump the whole thing (minus a few for, um, quality control purposes) plus the drippings into a pot with some water, boil, strain, debone, and defat after a trip to the fridge.

I use it as a base for a lot of my meals. Want something post workout? Add in lots of salt, frozen peas and some angel hair pasta for fast carbs. Want it lower carb? Toss in spinach instead of the pasta. Insta-meal.

smalls
06-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Dark has more fat, but it has a better taste and texture.

I make chicken soup from the dark meat - I roast it first (tastes better that way), skin and debone the meat, chill the soup, and skim off all the fat. Lets me get the best of both worlds.

Blasphemy!! White meat is the only meat, all others are condemned. Although if you were making me soup I would allow the dark meat, i guess.

Max-Mex
06-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Speaking of dark meat, chicken thighs....MMMMM. Just had some tonight.

WBBIRL
06-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Im not picky about it, as long as Im not the one who has to cook it. I have a feeling ill be doing alot of cooking with beer (but ill probably end up drinking most of it)

ReelBigFish
06-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I've always liked white meat better, don't know why. Although the way i mostly used to eat my chicken was fried..lol so it didn't really matter.

Drai's
06-07-2005, 08:24 AM
The white is better. Higher protein per serving, and chicken fat isn't exactly healthy.

ddegroff
06-07-2005, 10:27 PM
cool thanks guys

body
06-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Blasphemy!! White meat is the only meat, all others are condemned. Although if you were making me soup I would allow the dark meat, i guess.

beef steak yum, bacon yum, chinese spare ribs yum, roast lamb and mint suace yum.

blasphmey :cool:

WBBIRL
06-08-2005, 10:55 AM
I love chicken, I could eat about 10 legs at a time. We go through so much chicken at my house its not even funny.