PDA

View Full Version : Getting committed

Mike G
06-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Had a journal in here a few months back. I was following Westside and making good gains. Then I started a new job at my gym as an instructor (selling memberships and training my members). I changed my routine to more of a bodybuilding type of workout. I had been debating back and forth on what I wanted to accomplish in the gym over the last month. Over the weekend I decided I want/need to get strong again. I love moving heavy weight. I am also going to try and cut my weight for the summer. Today was my first day following Westside again.

ME Upper
Close Grip Bench
315x1
335x1
355x1-heavy

Rope Extensions
3set of 10x150

Side Laterals
3 sets of 10x25

Pulldowns
1set of 8x160
2 sets 8x130

Hyperextensions
3 sets of10xbw

Quick workout, had to get out of the gym after being there for nine hours. 335 was heavy on the CG but my buddy spotting me told me I could get two. I was going to end there but decided to test myself a little. Told him to throw another ten on. He said that I should put a 5 on and try that. I bet him lunch tomorrow that I could get 355, he owes me lunch. Overall not a bad day. Need to get my routines figured out for the week, any tips are welcomed and appreciated.

Mike G
06-09-2005, 08:36 PM
DE Lower
Box Squat
2 sets of 8x135

Speed Deadlift
1 set of 8x185

Cleans
2 sets of 8x135

Hyperextensions
3 sets of 8 x25

Leg Raises
3x10

Lying Hamstring curl
160x8
180x8
200(stack) x8
Box squats were off of a cardio step. Fairly low, maybe 10 inches off the ground. Weight felt good on everything. Haven't done cleans in a few years so I went really light with them. Overall a good, quick workout. Still need to write up the workouts for the week instead of trying to figure it out once I start.

MM
06-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Nice work on the CG bench.

Stats?

Mike G
06-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Nice work on the CG bench.

Stats?

Thanks. First time close gripping in about two months, I want 365 next week.
5'8"
215lbs.
25 yrs. old
No clue on BF% and I haven't taken any measurements in a long time.
Been lifting since I was 14. First nine years hard. Last few years on and off. No real clue on maxes right now. Bench has always been my strong point. Squats and Deads are weak right now, mostly because I have never deadlifted until the past few months and only recently started to squat again after ACL reconstruction a year and a half ago.

Mike G
06-11-2005, 06:14 PM
ME Lower
Good Mornings
245x1

Leg Curls
3 sets of 8 x 200

Pulldowns
3 sets of 8 x160

Leg Raises
3 sets of 15

Hyperextensions
3 sets of 10

Fair workout overall. Wasn't in the best frame of mind to work out, once again just wanted to get out of the gym. Very slow day and my manager was being a pain in the ass. Lower back started to feel pretty tight so I just went bodyweight on the extensions.

Mike G
06-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Cardio

30 minutes of cardio. 15 on a step mill, just about killed me. 15 on a bike, much easier. Today confirmed two things; I hate cardio and I am in terrible shape. Thinking about getting up early and going to the gym for a half hour of cardio three to four times a week. I need to drop some weight for the summer before it is over. I know it will slow my strength gains, but I have gained strength in the past while losing weight.

Mike G
06-13-2005, 09:25 PM
ME Upper

Close Grip
365x miss

Skull Crushers
1 set of 8 x 95
2 sets of 8 x 115

DB Flat
2 sets of 10 x 60

Horrible workout. Felt weak warming up and went from there. 225 was heavy on close grip. My buddy was supposed to spot me on the 365 but was afraid if I didn't get it he wouldn't be able to help. I told him not to worry about it and just help me dump the bar to one side if he had to. After I said that I think he got nervous and got another guy to help spot. Actually felt light until I got about five inches off my chest. I stuck a little and they grabbed the bar! Really wanted to work for the rep. I hate having new spotters. Last week the same thing happened but my spotter knew to let me work and I got it. Tonight they just grabbed hold and brought it up. Just nervous that I would get burried. Nothing seemed to be working right tonight. The 60's were heavy at the end even! Once again my mind was not right for a heavy night. Need to sell some memberships and make some commission so I can get a good workout in.

Mike G
06-19-2005, 06:44 AM
DE Upper

Speed Bench
6 sets of 3 x 185

V Bar Extensions
1 set of 10 x 175
2 sets of 10 x 185

Lateral raises/Reverse raises
6 total sets of 10 x 15

Easy workout. Speed was good on bench, really focusing on form. Went light on shoulders, they have been sore for a few weeks.

KevinStarke
06-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Nice workouts man, bench is my strong point too but your close grips crap all over my max flat haha. Keep up the good work

ILL_Mitch
06-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Solid bench brother

Hatred
06-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Have fun in the Asylum.

Mike G
06-19-2005, 09:00 PM
ME Lower

Good Mornings
1x255

Hamstring Curls
1 set of 8 x 135
2 sets of 8 x 115

Pull Throughs
1 set of 8 x 70
1 set of 8 x 90
1 set of 8 x 110

Weighted Abs
3 sets of 10 x 80

Pullups (partials)
3 sets of 5 x BW

Good workout overall. Felt strong on the good mornings, PR. Still nowhere near where I need to be, but I'll get them there. Hamstring curls were on a strive curl. Really liked them and had to do something else since I maxed out the other leg curl. The strive you can put the plates on. Pull throughs were light, will up the weight next time on them. I did the pullups a little bit differently. I only went up until the top of my head was at the bar. I really liked doing them this way. I got a much better back workout than going up to my chin. I am going to keep doing them this way and up the reps.

Mike G
06-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Kevin, Mitch- Thanks guys. Really want to get some respectable numbers in the next several months.

Hatred- Feels like I am in an asylum. Who would have thought working at a gym all day could suck. Summer is so slow and most of my pay is commission based. The thing that really sucks is that we are a fitness club so the atmosphere is terrible for lifting. Even the music sucks.

Mike G
06-23-2005, 07:59 PM
ME UPPER

Close Grip Bench
365x1-got it

Seated one arm DB press
3 sets of 8 x 45

Skull crushers with straight bar
3 sets of 8 x 95

Rope extensions
1 set of 8 x 150

Happy to get 365. Got stuck about four inches off again, but my spotter didn't get anxious and let me fight it out. Everything else felt pretty good, elbows were starting to get sore at the end. My schedule has been pretty messed up the last couple of weeks. I make sure to get my ME days in and atleast one DE day. I have been doing a lot of cardio the last few days to try and get my weight down. Hopped on the scale today and gained weight in the last two weeks. My plan is to get down to 198 before October and find a meet to compete in. Right now I am sitting at 222 fully clothed. Going to check weight every two weeks to see how I am doing. After I start to lose some of the buddha I will have BF checked.

Mike G
06-29-2005, 08:47 AM
ME LOWER

Box Squat
315x1

SLDL
2 sets of 5 x 275

Partial deads
3 sets of 10 x185

Hypers
3 sets of 10 x bw

Weighted Abs
3 sets of 10 x 70

Terrible workout. Went early because I haven't been able to go after work. Working on form with squats. I knew my squats were bad and I have to really work on them. Still too early to work weak points, everything is weak right now. Right quad is still extremely weak so I may start doing some extra quad work to try to get it back.

Mike G
06-30-2005, 08:28 AM
ME UPPER
Floor Press
355x1

JM Press
3 sets of 3 x 140

Incline DB Bench
2 sets of 10 x 70

Seated Cleans
2 sets of 10 x 40

OK workout. Wanted to go heavier on floor press but I have never done them before and I didn't have a spot. Literally no one to spot me, no one I trusted anyway. Still figuring out weights on my lifts. Hard not going to failure on supplementary lifts and leaving some in the tank, but that is how the program works. Went a little too light on inclines, up that next week to atleast 85's.

Mike G
07-04-2005, 10:51 AM
ME Upper

FLOOR PRESS
365x1

JM Press
3 sets of 3 x 135

Reverse Grip Tri Extensions
3 sets of 10 x 130

Front Raises
2 sets of 10 x 25

Cardio-1/2 hour and two games of racquetball

Good workout. Shoulders are still very tight and I can't seem to loosen them up. Still not sure if I am doing JM Press right. I can only find descriptions and no pictures. Pretty much given my month notice at work today. The manager set sales goals for everyone and told us if we don't meet them we'd be gone. My job search has officially started. If I didn't have a baby on the way I would quit and find something, but I need the cash right now. I am seriously thinking about getting certified as a trainer and getting hired at another gym. Most trainers suck, but the ones I know closely are good and really help their clients. I am already good at the training aspect, just suck as a salesman. Then to make things worse he tells us that today is not a paid holiday and we have to make the hours up sometime this week. Now I wasted my morning there and have to go back on Sunday for a shift. I need to talk to my fiance because we have saved up a decent amount of cash. If she was cool with me quitting I would do it in a heartbeat. The other thing that is funny is that my boss talks sh@t about the other instructors and how I am a better worker than guys who have worked for him for over a year. Just not a good work environment.

pfc3rex
07-04-2005, 01:18 PM
who's me and de? :D man your stats are incredible at only 215, good luck man. How much of a discount do you give to the hotties there? :D

Mike G
07-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Ha. Besides having a pregnant fiance, we aren't allowed to date members. There are definitely some hotties though, still nice to look. My numbers are decent, not anywhere near where they should be. Are you in the army now? I am debating signing up. Signed up two years ago but tore my ACL before I left for BT.

Mike G
07-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Quit my job. After talking to my fiance we decided that I can't work at a job where I don't know if I will get fired day to day. Have another job painting and doing maintenance work for a few months atleast. This gives me time to find a full time job and still make decent money. Big problem now is that I don't have anywhere to work out. I am going to have to go to another gym and do a three month membership. With any luck I will get hired at one of them.

Mike G
07-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Last post for awhile. Went to the gym last night for the first time in a week. Went heavy bench. Repped 315 for four with a little left. Put 365 on and got buried. I am going to take the rest of the week off and then start fresh on Monday. No more journal entries until my numbers are where I want them. I am disgusted with myself. I am benching the same amount of weight now that I was 6 years ago when I was a 180 pound freshman in college. I have literally wasted the last few years in the gym due to inconsistency. My squat is so low right now that I don't even want to post numbers. It is time to get to work in the gym again and stop making excuses.