PDA

View Full Version : Powerbuilding?

METAL VIPER
06-07-2005, 12:43 AM
I was wondering what, if any, changes I should make to my routine to spurt greater myofibrillar hypertrophy. I would prefer to be a powerbuilder...one with great strength, but also look aesthetically built as well. Here's what I do now:

Chest/Triceps
6 sets bench - 3 reps per set 1 day and the next 6 reps the next
4 sets weighted dips - usually 8 reps
4 sets either CGBP or skull-crushers on decline. 6-8 reps

Back/Biceps
4 sets deadlifts - 3-4 reps one day and next 6-8
4 sets weighted pullups - alternate weeks with mix grip, traditional, and
hammer. Usually 6-8 reps
4 sets either single arm DB rows or bent over BB rows - usually 8 reps
4 sets spider curls (alternate bicep exercises every 4 weeks) - 8 reps

Shoulder/Chest
6 sets dumbell bench - 8 reps. Thinking of alternating hi/low day
4 sets military or dumbell press - 8 reps
4 sets laterals or lying laterals - 8-12 reps

Squat
4 sets squat - 6 reps. Just started doing them ATG
2 sets front squat
4 sets step ups - 6 reps

Speed Bench
10 sets - 3 reps

I lift each day. I lift one day, followed by cardio (boxing and jumping rope) the next. So lifting is every other day. I also just purchased some flex bands, so if someone could tell me how to incorporate those I would be much obliged. Thanks bros

debussy
06-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Damn thats a decent recipe for looking/being powerful. I really don't know if you need speed bench... but it doesn't hurt. You're going to be a badass as long as you remember to eat enough.

METAL VIPER
06-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks a lot bro, I appreciate it. I find speed bench is great for keeping my CNS going as fast as possible for bench. I only do it on my off day before bench day. As for eating enough, I'm trying. I eat usually between 6-7 meals a day, all very clean. I'm just trying to get my ultimate goal for now, which is benching 2x my bodyweight...Hopefully by the end of the year, that would be a great Christmas present. Again, thanks a lot

MixmasterNash
06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
That's an insane amount of volume for a single workout. How long does it take?

I hope there's a split in there somewhere.

METAL VIPER
06-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Each muscle group is one workout, then I have an off day which consists of cardio

Anthony
06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Where's the hamstring work?

MixmasterNash
06-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Phew, I was worried for a second. Also, agree with Anthony.

METAL VIPER
06-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Where's the hamstring work?
I suppose I could throw in some SLDL on leg day....never done them before though

Franco
06-07-2005, 02:56 PM
You do realise that power comes from the posterior chain?

Are you going to failure on all sets? For hypertrophy to occur failure is not a necessity

Also, I think you like the number four too much.

DNL
06-07-2005, 04:33 PM
I don't think he likes odd numbers. =)

METAL VIPER
06-07-2005, 07:15 PM
I always go to failure. If I don't I feel like I'm short changing myself. As for mostly everything being 4 sets, what can I say, 3 seems like too little, while 5 is too much :D

debussy
06-07-2005, 09:26 PM
If you are looking for strength gains, going to failure is horrible. However, I have no clue about hypertrophy... I guess it could be good once in a while.

Sensei
06-08-2005, 02:07 PM
I lift each day. I lift one day, followed by cardio (boxing and jumping rope) the next. So lifting is every other day. I also just purchased some flex bands, so if someone could tell me how to incorporate those I would be much obliged. Thanks bros

Training to failure all the time is going to put you in a rut pretty quickly - especially in the strength and power department. You're going to have to mix things up occasionally.

As far as bands go, check the articles at elitefts.com - they should have just about all the info you need. Personally, I used to use them a lot in my bench and squat workouts, but these days I use them primarily for accessory work like tricep pressdowns, pull-throughs, etc. They are great to have around.

bill
06-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Personally I don't see physique changes in myself doing power lifting as opposed to bb. If I eat enough and train heavy power or bb I gain either way. Emphasis on rep scheme seems not to be a big factor for me. Mostly I say this because if you decide to powerlift you can go ahead and focus on it.

METAL VIPER
06-09-2005, 04:43 PM
If you are looking for strength gains, going to failure is horrible. However, I have no clue about hypertrophy... I guess it could be good once in a while.
Does anyone have a better bench scheme by chance? I just don't feel like I'm doing enough if I don't go to failure

Sensei
06-09-2005, 05:26 PM
they'd be running for miles and miles! Stop thinking that way - it makes no sense!

Seriously, if muscular endurance is what you are looking for, then HIT does have some merit. But even if that's your goal, there are other ways to get there! Westside is just one of them, so don't feel like it's the only option either.

I don't have access to my links right now, but just a google search should give you some options if you type in the right key words. I'm not exactly sure what you want, but things like weight training for boxing, powerlifting routines, etc. will probably turn up something.

debussy
06-09-2005, 06:53 PM
I think the problem is, you need to concentrate on one thing. do you want to just look good as possible... or do you want to be as strong as possible. when you just want to be middle of the road... we'll just give you middle of road answers.

but the general idea is... lift heavy but don't go to failure. simplest routine is 5x5 progressive overload.