PDA

View Full Version : Power cleans???

D Breyer
06-07-2005, 06:16 PM
hey guys-
I'm really interested in trying the Russian Bench Routine. One "lift" i've never preformed before, that is in that routine is the power clean... could somebody supply a site or just type a detailed description on how to preform this lift?

also- has anybody tried this routine?... i've heard from a couple of people that it puts a lot on their bench... what are your thoughts? thanks in advance for any replys.

the routine: http://www.fortifiediron.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=63

Built
06-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Here's a hang clean
http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/OlympicLifts/HangClean.gif

MixmasterNash
06-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I did 44 of them yesterday. Fun stuff.

A power clean is a clean (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Clean.html) without a deep squat drop.

bigpoppapump979
06-07-2005, 06:38 PM
what does a power clean have to do with benching? if you perforn the exercise correctly...upperbody should hardly come into play

D Breyer
06-07-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm just doing the routine as its shown... i've already looked at exrx... are there any important things to think about when preforming them? also: if its a clean without a full squat to catch the bar, about how much do you want to bend your knees when you do them? thanks

Built
06-07-2005, 07:10 PM
You're just going to have to experiment a bit. Cleans are a "knack" exercise - they take a bit until you get a feel for tossing the weight.

D Breyer
06-07-2005, 07:40 PM
i think im just going to go to my club and have one of the personal trainers give me some pointers... i don't want to look dumb trying to power clean... they'd probably turn into jump shrugs or something :(

Built
06-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Good idea. :)

drew
06-08-2005, 06:40 AM
I've tried it. I like it. It's great if you're trying to get through a plateau, but shouldn't be used for more than a month and not more than once or twice in a year.

MixmasterNash
06-08-2005, 08:09 AM
upperbody should hardly come into play

Ha ha.

They work the heck out of your entire body. True, the main power generation comes from your hips and butt and legs, but there is definately an effect on the upper body as well.

Hazerboy
06-08-2005, 11:13 PM
yeah, the next day I can definatly feel it in my traps. Especially if I'm doing regular hang cleans.

justhrowit
06-09-2005, 10:34 AM
That link doesn't work NE more. Can you post the workout. Interested in seeing it

Jay

Weightlifter
06-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm just doing the routine as its shown... i've already looked at exrx... are there any important things to think about when preforming them? also: if its a clean without a full squat to catch the bar, about how much do you want to bend your knees when you do them? thanks
A power clean is a power clean if the lifter doesn't descend with the bar after the pull and catch below the point of parallel. Some people would say the lifter must not reach down to parallal. If it goes below this point, then it is a squat clean and not a power clean. In any case, the idea and goal of the lifter is to pull the weight so fast that the lifter doesn't have to squat under it at all. Of course as the weight gets heavier the weight will drive you down. When a lifter is trying to squat clean, they are intending to squat under the weight as low as they can go from the outset of the lift.

Regards

Miker
06-18-2005, 02:35 PM
guys... it isn't hard to find what a powerclean is.. one google and wham.. there she was

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/mofpics/anims/cleans.gif
Power Cleans

Purpose of Exercise: An excellent exercise that stresses almost every muscle group in the body. It will primarily develop the trapezius, spinal erectors and most middle back muscles. Secondary stress will be felt in the biceps, forearm flexors, glutes, brachialis and thighs.

Execution of Exercise: Assume the same position as in the 'Deadlift' except do not use an alternate grip, have both palms facing you. Pull the bar up explosively as in the deadlift and when the bar reaches your mid thighs shrug the weight up as you simultaneously drop under the weight and effectively reverse curl the weight to your shoulders, whilst standing erect, from the finish position let the bar drop to arms length as you bend your knees and lean forward to place the bar on the floor. Repeat for the desired number of reps.

Important Points: Always remember to keep your back tight and look up. It is VITAL on this difficult and technical exercise that someone with good form and experience demonstrates correct technique and observes you so as to offer advice. This is a back and leg exercise and not an arm exercise, remember this and it will serve you well.

D Breyer
06-18-2005, 06:26 PM
thanks miker

debussy
06-18-2005, 11:51 PM
That guy's power clean form sucks. And the description is not right. The clean start position is not the same as a deadlift.

These guys know a thing or two about oly lifting: http://www.fortifiediron.net/invision/index.php?showforum=9

Miker
06-19-2005, 07:41 AM
That guy's power clean form sucks. And the description is not right. The clean start position is not the same as a deadlift.

These guys know a thing or two about oly lifting: http://www.fortifiediron.net/invision/index.php?showforum=9

Dude.. did you watch the powerclean video on the site you pimped? Did you read the explanation? Cause.. they look the same to me. One guy has a nice red suit with rainbow coloured plates.. but otherwise.. aside from the camera angle.. I don't see much difference in form.

Gutz981
06-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Considering its a bench routine I dunno what power cleans are there for but its there for something so do it...that looks like a pretty sweet routine you got there...

debussy
06-19-2005, 12:35 PM
The difference is "small" ... but to initiate the clean pull, the first pull in a clean... you will bring the weight up with your legs up to about knee level, thats when you initiate the 2nd pull by brining your hips in and shrugging. theres no way you should be able to clean pull as much as you deadlift unless your deadlift form sucks.... thats the difference. oly lifts are techincal and people spend years mastering the lifts. please dont oversimplify them, its an insult.

Miker
06-19-2005, 02:16 PM
please dont oversimplify them, its an insult.

You ought to actually read the description I posted ... (which btw is not my own).. .. your favourite site's description may be wordier.. but it ain't anymore correct than the one I googled. The videos are so much the same as to be called.. 'the same'.

By the way.. where was your expertise when the guy asked for help anyways.. or do you just like dissembling other posts? The fact is.. what I googled and found on the URB/Ministry of Fitness site is a perfectly legit, relatively accurate description of the movement. Your nitpicking does not help the person that asked the question. You might have posted suggesting a slightly different emphasis on the phases of the movement etc. and let the guy decide but by coming out and claiming the form sucks etc. ensures we are to suppose you are an expert in the movement. You have yet to demonstrate that expertise. I have snipped my earlier comment as it might have been a bit over the top however.. my post did not insult you.. and since 'exercises' are not cognizant entities.. they cannot be insulted. Do Power Cleans your way.. or don't.. I couldn't give a ****.

jed
07-13-2005, 11:52 PM
http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercisevideos/Weightlifting%20Movements%20Page/Weightlifting%20Movements.htm

tehres a video of a guy doing a powerclean in there. powercleans are great exersize, u shud do them alot. i love them.

schmitty199
07-14-2005, 07:59 PM
power cleans are great for explosiveness in the full body arms legs hips it does it all great for football players

fixationdarknes
07-14-2005, 10:09 PM
What about the olympic cleans where you squat down to catch the bar? Should I do that one or the Power Clean if I'm looking for size and strength?

MixmasterNash
07-14-2005, 10:37 PM
What about the olympic cleans where you squat down to catch the bar? Should I do that one or the Power Clean if I'm looking for size and strength?

Football players tend to use power cleans because it more closely mimics the explosive movements necessary to come of the line. They don't bother with a full clean because it's more technical, and they're rarely in a deep full squat position during play.

Use all variations of olympic lifts, as appropriate.

RickTheDestroyer
07-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Okay- these are a lift that I've never really felt like I had nailed the form on-
In the video that Miker posted- is the guy finishing correctly?
His knees look like they're in a bad, bad position at the end.

MixmasterNash
07-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Okay- these are a lift that I've never really felt like I had nailed the form on-
In the video that Miker posted- is the guy finishing correctly?
His knees look like they're in a bad, bad position at the end.

The animated gif? I'd simply say it's too hard to tell from the few frames there.

In a power clean, you are dropping a bit and doing a quarter squat at the end, just the cushion the catch.

RickTheDestroyer
07-15-2005, 12:45 PM
I guess my point/question is that he bends at the knees but not the hips- which just strikes me as a bad idea.

MixmasterNash
07-15-2005, 01:54 PM
I guess my point/question is that he bends at the knees but not the hips- which just strikes me as a bad idea.

Well, he is bent at the hips, but not bent over as far as someone doing a squat. Your torso really does have to be farily straight and up right for an clean.

I still think it's just a bad "video" though.

chris mason
07-17-2005, 06:12 AM
The difference is "small" ... but to initiate the clean pull, the first pull in a clean... you will bring the weight up with your legs up to about knee level, thats when you initiate the 2nd pull by brining your hips in and shrugging. theres no way you should be able to clean pull as much as you deadlift unless your deadlift form sucks.... thats the difference. oly lifts are techincal and people spend years mastering the lifts. please dont oversimplify them, its an insult.

It can take years to properly learn form on the Olympic lifts.

As to the insult, the powerclean is not an Olympic lift so no insult should be taken.