PDA

View Full Version : Bulk or Build?

karsel
06-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Alright i need help deciding on what to do.

Im leaning towards bulking for the next few colder months to gain some extra mass quicker because i find myself just not built enough. I have a pretty well toned body that hasn't required much maintenace, just lucky i guess. I want to add mass so i can achieve bigger benches/squats/all around lifts and get that big raw power look.
So what do you guys think bulk or keep building with protein? If i start bulking will i lose the type of tonign i have in my back and stomach? If so will i be able to achieve this look again?

Thats my only fear about bulking not getting the definiton back that i have now. Anway tell me what you think.
By the way my aims for this year are: reach a weight of 85kg, to bench 100kg (75kg now), squat 80kg (about 60kg now), i want to all around improve the size of my body, mainly back, arms, chest.
Oh yer i made this thread to host my pics because i want to start another thread in "Body-Building and Fitness" to get some advice on my bulk/build dilemma.

So my main question is BULK or build???

Cheers Guys :)

ericg
06-08-2005, 05:46 AM
Ummm...

Bulk = build

You sure you dont mean bulk or cut?

Anyways I think you should bulk, you got some nice definition already and if you are patient with your bulk you can keep most of it and add some quality mass.

karsel
06-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Haha by Bulk or Build i kinda meant should i bulk up or build on what muscle i have got and keep fat down. I wouldn't cut, not sure what my BF is (how do you find out?(newb)) but im lacking fat as it is.

Anthony
06-08-2005, 06:56 AM
So your choices are gain muscle or gain muscle? Sounds like an easy choice.

darius19
06-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Yeah so it seems like lol

karsel
06-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Im going to keep quiet :)

Beholder
06-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Haha by Bulk or Build i kinda meant should i bulk up or build on what muscle i have got and keep fat down. I wouldn't cut, not sure what my BF is (how do you find out?(newb)) but im lacking fat as it is.
last time I checked bulk = build :P
But anyhow, Id try and do a clean bulk so you can try and keep the great definition you already have. Just dont panic if you do get some fat, as thats how it goes with bulking generally.

Stackattack
06-08-2005, 07:34 AM
From what i understand I think your asking if you should Bulk fast (and gain more fat) or slow (and gain less fat). It's a little difficult to tell what you're asking.
But if that is indeed what you are asking then i would say you should do a slow, clean bulk. Given that you seem to wish to stay lean. Start off just eating a few hundred cals above maintainance then adjust according to your rate of weight gain.

HILL
06-08-2005, 08:55 AM
bulk i think then u can watch the amount of fat u put on if you are not happy slow it down

Relentless
06-08-2005, 09:20 AM
you look like a naturally lean guy... I'm kind of assuming you didn't need to diet to get your current body if you're asking a question like that

so long as you keep the calories clean and you focus on progressing your lifts, you shouldn't gain too much fat as you bulk. If you're anything like most lean guys I train with your challenge will be gaining weight period, not worrying about fat.

Wierz
06-08-2005, 09:39 AM
... If you're anything like most lean guys I train with your challenge will be gaining weight period, not worrying about fat.

Amen.

I say bulk. Clean if you want, but bulk nonetheless.

chris6969
06-08-2005, 10:25 AM
bulking is building?! not sure what you're asking? LOL

Seriously.... though....

Very clean bulking / limited calories possibly (your definition of "building") takes longer and you definitely hit more walls, and its a lot harder in general... you'll have to have your diet almost perfect.

And even then you're limited to the amount you can add. Thats why most Pro BB's have "off-seasons" where they bulk up and get "fat" (relative term). Granted some stay very lean year round... but most of those have already acheived a MASSIVE size and aren't really bulking any more, more of maintaining and refining.

So if you want to get bigger, you're going to have to eat and eat a lot. You might add a little bit of fat, but you'll definitely gain more muscle if you flood your body with protein and other good nutrition.

Personally, I've made some of my best gains when I was scoffing down cheeseburgers, whoppers, etc... But also added fat.

So you're choices are really:

1- bulk
or
2- maintain (which is what you'll be doing for the most part if your calories are too tight) -"building"
or
3- cut (obviously not what you want since you're already lean)

Sidior
06-08-2005, 09:23 PM
So your choices are gain muscle or gain muscle? Sounds like an easy choice.

I would choose gain muscle, just my opinion though

karsel
06-08-2005, 10:15 PM
sorry about my newb mistakes, only been doing this for 6 months now, so not sure on all the slang/terms you guys use :). Yer i am a very lean person as is and have never had to cut, apart from being on protein for the past 6 months.
I think the clean bulking soudns liek the best option for me, not adding to much fat. So what types of foods do i eat to get a CLEAN bulk? MAX. Calories and limited fats and high protein do you think?
Thanks for your help everyone VERY VERY much appreciated.
Keep it coming, clean bulking sound good?

Stackattack
06-08-2005, 11:30 PM
So what types of foods do i eat to get a CLEAN bulk?

Take a look here
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

karsel
06-09-2005, 02:32 AM
Jesus.
Wish i found this site earlier everyone is so helpful. Alot of people i know will benefit comnig on here.
Thanks again.

ericg
06-09-2005, 05:33 AM
A clean bulk is good. Though it takes more patience than if you ate everything in site.

being on protein for the past 6 months

FYI - you are always on protein, you mention it like it is illegal :p

karsel
06-09-2005, 06:53 AM
lol :D FINE! I have been buying
MUSASHI WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE
And Protein Bars etc.

Is that specific enough :P

Alex.V
06-09-2005, 07:26 AM
"clean bulks" are much better, in my opinion. Getting fat to get big can be discouraging for those used to being lean, not to mention that most natural guys lose a good amount of that muscle during the cutting phase following, unless they're very specific about their diet, training, and recovery. It's that last part that's killer... most people with busy lives have trouble being that precise and specific; better to simply not get fat in the first place.

Note, the exception here is for people already pushing their natural limit; these guys pretty much HAVE to scarf down everything in sight to bump their weight up.