PDA

View Full Version : South Beach Diet

Deathwish
06-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Have any of you had any experiences with it? What are your opinions? It's something like this:
2 Weeks Low Carb to 'reset your metabolism'
The rest of the weeks on a 30/40/30 diet
Once at target weight eat healthy

It sounds good to me but I would like some opinions from the more knowledgeable.

Drai's
06-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't know how going low carb for any period of time would "reset your metabolism", but the ratios look fine. Personally, I don't think ratios are necessary, but compared to all the other fad diets out there that one actually sounds respectable.

spencerjrus
06-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Trendy diets that "reset your metabolism" are complete BS.

Find target cals for your bulk or cut.

Get 1-1.5 gram of protein per lb bodyweight.

Get at least 20-30% of cals from healthy fats.

Start eating.

Built
06-08-2005, 01:27 PM
:withstupi

Although, to be fair, I started with Atkins, and it was the right place for ME to start because I knew NOTHING, and I have insulin resistance. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have done what I'm doing now with my cutter, but it took me almost 4 years to figure out how to tailor my eating to my training, given the appetite-stimulating effect of a low-fat, high-carb diet on my body.

Shao-LiN
06-08-2005, 06:32 PM
As far as I know, it still utilizes a caloric deficit...so, bam, weight loss.

JeffWillConquer
06-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Exactly.

Max-Mex
06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Have any of you had any experiences with it? What are your opinions? It's something like this:
2 Weeks Low Carb to 'reset your metabolism'
The rest of the weeks on a 30/40/30 diet
Once at target weight eat healthy

It sounds good to me but I would like some opinions from the more knowledgeable.

The thing I like about this diet is that it teaches you what are "bad" carbs and "good" carbs. Now, granted there really are no such things, but when trying to lose weight, it's good to know the difference between a food that will keep you feeling hungry longer and one that doesn't.

One thing I did learn from the book was how the body breaks down food, how it uses it, and what it does with the extra. I could have learned that here, but it doesn't matter. I still learned it. :D

bill
06-08-2005, 08:02 PM
I know a few people that have had good results from it. They say its a lot like atkins but more choices.

Drai's
06-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Being from Canada, I was amazed to go to a grocery store in the US recently and see the whole line of "South Beach" products Americans can buy. There was stuff in the frozen food section, the cereal section, the meats, etc.

I wonder why none of this stuff ever makes it north of the border.

Shao-LiN
06-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Yah, I'm a big fan of South Beach food products, very tasty and some good macros. Hell, the pizza has 31g of protein in it and uses a wheat-type crust =P.

AllUp
06-10-2005, 12:48 PM
A female relative who isn't the best w/diets lost like 15-17lbs on it, her only issues are the phases in which fruits cannot be consumed.