PDA

View Full Version : Westside Stlye lifting

Ante up
06-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Iv been lifting for about a year for football using the bigger faster stronger routine as my base but i changed it a lil bit. But i was reading about the westside style of lifting. If there is anyone that could help me make a routine using the westside style of lifting that be great. My 1 rep bench max is 280, my squat is 475 and deadlift is 485.

shootermcgavin7
06-08-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm in a good mood so I won't abuse you over the Search:

I got most of my information from searching people's journals and this board, from www.elitefts.com, and from an old WBB article about the Westside Barbell Club ...www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=46

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65178

There are a lot more threads a lot more in-depth.

Now is when I'll abuse over the search function.........................

Paul Stagg
06-09-2005, 06:09 AM
There are a number of us who use conjugated periodization, most based on the WSB style of training. Read through the training logs, as well as the links mentioned above.

Look for the beginner routine on elitefts.

drew
06-09-2005, 06:55 AM
What they said. Also, read Dave Tate's Periodization Bible on T-mag (you can link to it through elitefts).

Ante up
06-10-2005, 07:09 AM
i decided that i cant do the westside style because my gym doesnt have a box to squat and theres no room to do floor presses. Im training for football and im getting kinda bored of my routine now so any suggestion would be cool.

drew
06-10-2005, 07:18 AM
1: Yes you can.
2: Stack plates on the floor to make a "box". I do it all the time. If you have rubber mats, you can put them between the plates to help stabilize.
3: If you have a power rack, you have room to floor press. I don't have one in my gym. I do DB floor presses instead.

The best part of Westside is you can do it almost anywhere with any equipment available. Just gotta be creative.

Adam
06-10-2005, 11:54 AM
:withstupi
He is 100% correct in everything he said.

Hazerboy
06-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Or you can just bring your own box. 8-)

But seriouly I just use a bucket.

Sensei
06-10-2005, 12:36 PM
i decided that i cant do the westside style because my gym doesnt have a box to squat and theres no room to do floor presses. Im training for football and im getting kinda bored of my routine now so any suggestion would be cool.

You don't HAVE to do box squats and floor presses to do Westside... A lot of people don't have/use bands, chains, reverse hypers, glute-ham bench, etc. either. It's not that hard - just substitute exercises...

drew
06-10-2005, 12:45 PM
And if you don't know what to substitute and where, just ask!

Ante up
06-10-2005, 09:17 PM
iight cool..im gonna try and get a routine down sat night and post it. If you guys could fix anything thats wrong wit it that help a lot..

Ante up
06-10-2005, 10:01 PM
ok i couldnt wait till sat night so i did it now...tell me what you think

Monday-Max Effort Upper Body
Board presses:Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.( not really sure what that means)
INcline Dumbell press: 4sets of 8
Bent over Barbell row:4 sets of 10
Low Row machine:3x12
Weighted Decline Situps:4x15

Tuesday
College speed work and conditioning

Wed
High bar Olympic squats:Work up to a max set of 5 reps.( is this the same as regular squat?)
Barbell step-ups(might need a replacement for this):3x8
Romanian Deadlifts:3x8
Behind the back wrist curls:3x15

Thursday
Same as tues

Friday
Barbell bench press:Work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60 seconds between sets.
(confused with rep scheme again)
Skull crushers:3x8
Lat pulldowns:3x10
Push press(tell me if thats too much)3x8*it says bradford press but i love to push press
Dumbell curls:3x8
Weighted Decline situps/legs lifts/Obs

Ok well thats wut i got i used defrancostraining.com as my guide. Tell me what you guys think.

drew
06-11-2005, 12:04 AM
I think you need to start a little more basic than that.

It looks like you have two ME days for bench and none for Squat/DL.

The first day looks fine. You should work up to 1-3 rep max though. And don't use the same exercise every week. Like, do a 2 board press this week, 3 boards next, maybe incline the following. I would also leave abs work for Squat days.

Go to www.elitefts.com and read the articles there. GO to the T-mag link and read Tate's Periodization Bible (you want part 2)