PDA

View Full Version : Resistance Bands

KevinStarke
06-08-2005, 08:47 PM
I've been thinking i might start using resistance exercise bands to further help my bench. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these, how to properly use them, what weight resistance to use, etc... etc... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Stagg
06-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Check out www.elitefts.com. They have a number of articles, a Q&A, and they even sell the bands.

I use them.

KevinStarke
06-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Awesome! thanks man

WBBIRL
06-09-2005, 11:36 AM
During High School football (graduated this year) we had chains that went onto the end of the bar. I've used them and they were nice for busting platues. Im immaging a band would do much the same.

EDIT: Sweet, im just about able to use the average flex bands. Someday I hope to be strong enough to even need the Heavy bands.

Now that ive looked over those bands a little bit better, I have a question that I cant seem to find an answer to on that site. Exactly how would you use those bands on lifts like the big three.... and would they work at all for lifts curls??? Im really interested in these now and may buy some.

KevinStarke
06-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Yah i was thinking of getting a light and an average heavy band myself. As you know from my previous post im trying to break a platau myself so im hoping these and negatives will help. I had a little trouble finding a visual on just how to set the band up on a bench press, any help?

Darracq
06-09-2005, 12:25 PM
I have been using them for months. I have #1s though #4s. I always double them or you wont get any tension at the bottom. They really work well. I got mine from ironwoodyfitness.com

Paul Stagg
06-09-2005, 12:51 PM
For benching, double the minis. Unless you bench 700 or so, light bands doubled will be too much tension.

For squatting, choke the bands around the bottom of the rack or around dumbells - you want to have tension at the bottom.

Yes, you can pretty much use bands as resistance for anything you can come up with. Keep in mind you shoudl be using these tools to purther a specific trainig goal, not just to use bands.

KevinStarke
06-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Paul cause im not putting up 700 haha. I'll go for the mini's then. Oh i have a specific goal, Im trying to break my bench press platau.

KevinStarke
06-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Might be a stupid question but where exactly do i wrap the bands when using them for bench, the bar on each side and the bottom of the bench?

biggimp
06-09-2005, 03:30 PM
yes.
and for squatting, ive seen people stand on the band. looks like it worked, though i dont know how you would do it w/o a spotter holding it down for you before you step on it. (or w/ a monolift)

bigpoppapump979
06-09-2005, 03:33 PM
squatting with bands is pain...in your whole body shoulders down. i love squatting with 2 bands linked and tied to the bottom of the power rack. do the reps slow...oh wait, you really dont have a choice or youll end up on your ass

Sensei
06-09-2005, 04:05 PM
squatting with bands is pain...in your whole body shoulders down. i love squatting with 2 bands linked and tied to the bottom of the power rack. do the reps slow...oh wait, you really dont have a choice or youll end up on your ass

Box squats - that's the choice to make!

Make sure your rack is heavy enough. I just about killed myself the first time I tried to use bands (for squatting) in a rack that wasn't secured to the floor.

If you don't have a secure rack, you can anchor the bands by choking them to a hex DB and then placing a 45 (or 45s) over it and then threading the bands through the hole of the plate up to the sleeve of the bar. You will want someone to help you put the other side on the bar at the same time, or start w. the bar on the safety pins and then squat the bar w. bands up to the j-hooks before adding weight.

A lot of people will use bands on the bench by choking a band around a DB (preferably a heavy hex DB, or DBs w. a 2.5lb plate on each side of it) on each side of the bench. You can use a much heavier band this way as opposed to when you double them.

WBBIRL
06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Thats what I was just thinking.... we have 100 lbers at our gym and they seem like they could hold it down. Nothing in our gym is secured to the floor lmao, nothing.

Anthony
06-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Make sure your rack is heavy enough. I just about killed myself the first time I tried to use bands (for squatting) in a rack that wasn't secured to the floor.

Definitely ... I remember unracking the bar and the entire squat rack came off the ground. It was interesting, but probably not very safe. :D

Adam
06-10-2005, 11:36 AM
yup, same thing happend to me.
I had a mirror right infront of me though:omg:
thank god for workout partners

WBBIRL
06-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Theres a mirror infront of ours too... I think ill just use the 100lb DB's lmao.

Darracq
06-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I use all bands up to Mediums and i dont bench any where close to 700. I dont speed bench though doesnt do anything for me. I can bench more than double body weight though.

KevinStarke
06-12-2005, 01:26 PM
What do you weigh

Darracq
06-15-2005, 11:48 AM
If you are talking to me i weigh a little under 165.I am 6 foot tall so i am a skinny 165 lol. Benched 350 a few weeks ago.

KevinStarke
06-15-2005, 01:24 PM
wow, 350 at 165 with long arms? thats impressive. You should think about competing, i know the state record for 165 in my state is like 330.

Darracq
06-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Thats what i am shooting for. I might try a meet in september. I cant afford to go right now. I need to work on a good pause also. I dont bouce but dont pause very long at all. I am not looking forward to wearing a singlet either. Skinny legs lol.

KevinStarke
06-15-2005, 04:49 PM
haha i was a little warry at first but they're very comfortable