PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my routine, fat coming off slowly :(

Vel
06-10-2005, 12:30 PM
I am 28 years old, 6'4", currently 220 lbs. I am having a hard time losing fat now that i have come off of a 3 months long cycle in the beginning of March I believe. All throughout my life I have had a hard time losing fat. 3 years ago I turned to DNP and that was the only thing (of course with proper diet and training) that helped me get down to 165 lbs eventually over about a years time (I only used DNP twice during that time at 2 week intervals each).Even at that weight I still did not have a prominent 6 back and didn't look ripped, despite following advice given from many online fitness sites portaining to diet and training.

So after reaching 240 lbs with this last cycle i have decided it of course was time to diet down the blubber and get my flat (albeit 6 pack-less) stomach back.

For the past two months, this is basiclly what i have been doing:

Workouts: 3 days per week weight training, standard 3 day split. Off days cardio. My cardio consisted in the beginning, going to a soccer field near my house and jogging laps. Being I am asthmatic, and I hadn't done cardio in a long time, like maybe 8 months, I had to start off slow. I could only jog one lap around before having a mild asthma attack. Now however I have finally worked back up to jogging 3/4 of the lap, walking the other 1/4, then repeat for 10 laps. I'm starting to jog 2 laps in a row now. The asthma doesn't bother me anymore now, what does bother me is just general fatigue during the runs, my legs just don't want to go anymore, and it's hard pushing yourself to keep running the laps when you just want to stop cause your cardio system is taxed, though of course this is what you must do to increase your cardio power, just like pushing that last rep in the gym to really destroy the muscle to get bigger when it repairs. So needless to say, I do push myself bit by bit every time I do my cardio routine. I have started to switch it up a bit by running HIIT sprints up a hill 10 times, each attempt takes about 7 seconds, and they just exhaust me.

Gym workouts have changed over to doing a total upper body curcuit 4 times on the day's I don't do cardio. So it's a fast paced sweaty workout, I'm in and out in about 45 mins total, being I spend about 10-15 mins on abs each time I go which i do before my real workout.

Diet and supps: have been taking low doses of t3 for the past month (weaning off it now) and did a 2 week cycle of clen. I supplement daily with multivitamin, carnitine, and liquid amino after my workouts. My general diet consists of the following:

Meal 1: 1/2 of a large chicken breast or 40 grams whey with water, half a bag of frozen green veggies or 1 cup of Fiber One cereal with water, 1 Tbsp Total EFA oil.

meal 2: same, however I won't have whey this time if I had it for meal 1 I'll have actual meat.

Meal 3, pre workout: 40 grams whey and water, 1 container of yogurt.

Post workout: 70-100 grams of whey and 50 -100 grams of maltodextrin.

meal 5, 6: same as meal 1

meal 7: IF there's a meal 7, same as 1.

Every 2 weeks or so I blow my diet and eat whatever for a day, mainly carbs.

Water intake: About 1- 1 and 1/2 gallons daily flavored with crystal light.

I think since I've began dieting 2 months ago I lost close to 20 lbs though this is probably muscle and water. I'm noticeably weaker in the gym and have lost a full inch off my arms for example. I also want to note that i did maintain my eating and training habits for a month or so after coming off my cycle, I didn't go right into dieting.

So how does this look..What do you recommend I switch or delete etc? Things just don;t seem to be to me going as fast as they should, or going at all.

TooSmall
06-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Eat less, run more. Losing weight isn't really that complicated. Just make each meal smaller and burn more calories throughout the day.

You may be losing muslce because you basically have no complex carbs in your entire diet. Muslces can't grow on vegetables and protein alone.

Built
06-10-2005, 01:41 PM
You may have lost muscle from the T3. Running can be catabolic to muscle as well. And a 20 lb loss in 2 months is LARGE. Wouldn't it be hard to prevent muscle loss when losing that quickly without running a cycle?

Unlike TooSmall, I don't think your carbs are too low - you're not trying to gain muscle, you're trying to preserve it while dropping fat, and you've got the malto for post workout. But I don't know why you're only doing upper body circuits for your lifting 4 days a week, and no lower body lifting, for your cut. I do short heavy sets of upper and lower for cutting, to try to coax my body into hanging onto LBM.

I don't think it would work for me, either.

Vel
06-10-2005, 02:05 PM
You may have lost muscle from the T3. Running can be catabolic to muscle as well.

Well as much running as I'vemanaged to do int he past 2 months I really can't see that amount as having any significant effect on muscle loss. My cardio sessions never go for more than 1/2 hour. As I get my cardio system up to par, they will probably even become shorter because I will be switching over to HIIT sprints.

And a 20 lb loss in 2 months is LARGE. Wouldn't it be hard to prevent muscle loss when losing that quickly without running a cycle?

Well I agree that it's large but if you think about it, let's say 10 lbs of that was water (I was pretty puffy) and in 2 months have lost, worst case scenario, 5 lbs of muscle and 5 lbs of fat. I think that's realistic, though disappointing, being I had done everything correctly when it came to keeping gains post cycle (used HCG and ate lots and trained like i did while on cycle for a month after) and when you look at it like that it seems ok would you disagree?

Unlike TooSmall, I don't think your carbs are too low - you're not trying to gain muscle, you're trying to preserve it while dropping fat, and you've got the malto for post workout. But I don't know why you're only doing upper body circuits for your lifting 4 days a week, and no lower body lifting, for your cut. I do short heavy sets of upper and lower for cutting, to try to coax my body into hanging onto LBM.

I'm not doing lower body weight training when dieting because as I've learned a couple weeks ago, if I even do ONE set of, for instance, single leg presses, I have a hard time getting out of bed and walking up steps the next day, never mind doing sprints or jogging. Just ONE set!

EDIT: nice pics you're the youngest looking 41 yr old I've ever seen. HOT.

some of me close to the end of my cycle @ ~ 240 lbs

Built
06-10-2005, 02:08 PM
This last part makes no sense to me.
What do you USUALLY do for legs?

Dedicated
06-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Are you counting calories? How many are you eating now?

Also you should work legs, it burns alot of calories. Working your quads, glutes, and hams hard helps raise your metabolism, those are big muscles there. It also adds more muscle to your legs, again raising your metabolism, slowly but surely.

And 20lbs in 2 months is alot yea. I guess you are doing ok. I don't know what bf% you were at so it might not be that bad. If you lost an inch off your arms remember not all of it was muscle, alot of it could have been fat.

It sounds like you need to revamp your routine though.

Vel
06-10-2005, 02:15 PM
This last part makes no sense to me.
What do you USUALLY do for legs?

When i go for mass I do squats/leg press/xtensions.

I have a hard time doing anything with legs tho cause I have a herniated disc or who knows what it devolved into by now. I feel like no matter how har I push legs, my back gives out before my legs do so I never push my legs hard enough, though with the pain i get in them the day after a leg workout , I shudder to think that i would possibly be completely immobilized if I pushed harder.

Vel
06-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Are you counting calories? How many are you eating now?

Also you should work legs, it burns alot of calories. Working your quads, glutes, and hams hard helps raise your metabolism, those are big muscles there. It also adds more muscle to your legs, again raising your metabolism, slowly but surely.

And 20lbs in 2 months is alot yea. I guess you are doing ok. I don't know what bf% you were at so it might not be that bad. If you lost an inch off your arms remember not all of it was muscle, alot of it could have been fat.

No not counting, I used to be a freaking nazi when it came to calorie counting years ago and I just stopped. I was eating close to 3500 calories daily when i was on cycle, so I know theres no way I'm coming anywhere close to more than 2/3 that with my current diet. I basically eat the same exact thing every day of my life right now. If I wanted to drop cals I'd simply sebtract a scoop of malto from my PWO drink.

EDIT however tallying it up currently I have around 1440 calories in 5 meals, then 700 in my PWO drink alone, for a total of *around* 2200 cals daily.

Vel
06-10-2005, 02:28 PM

But what can i possibly change it to besides maybe going back to a typical 3 day split and lifting heavy, and doing AM HIIT cardio?

I will NOT go back to doing AM fasted HIIT cardio. Yeah sure it helped me get down to 165 lbs however that was a lot of muscle gone also. You don't wanna see a pic of me at 6'4" 165 lbs. I guess I exude cortisol like a...cortisol exuder.

Built
06-10-2005, 02:29 PM
AM empty HIIT is a lousy idea. Feed HIIT like a lifting workout.

Vel
06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
AM empty HIIT is a lousy idea. Feed HIIT like a lifting workout.
Yeah i found that out the hard way after following the advice of the masses way back when on some bodybuilding forums.

But what kind of lifting routine would you personally recommend? You think the every other day fast paced super circuits suck or what?

Dedicated
06-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Hmm. Well you could try my routine. I made it over a year ago with some help from someone who followed one very similiar. My goal was to mimic his, but I couldn't because he had access to machines.

I posted the routine in this thread:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65514

You can scroll down to look at it, and ignore the cardio/HIIT and arrange that however you like.

For that routine, it would probably be a good idea to swap dumbell pullovers with a machine equivalent. Similiarly you might want to replace leg extensions with leg press. Swap bench dips with real dips. And use any ab machine for the ab machine listed and another ab movement for the ab wheel, preferably something you can add resistance too. The volume is low, so you can incorporate as much cardio as you like. The guy who's routine it attempts to mimic did cardio every day except leg day. He was like 195lbs at 6% bodyfat and he like you, ate the same thing every single day.

Also swap the dumbell flys with incline flies, and the one leg calf raises with a calf machine.

The workouts will leave you feeling strong and pumped every time. They are short, heavy, and frequent. Works well.

One more thing, for the incline curls, hammer curls, lateral raises, and front raises, do them one arm at a time. It works better. For the barbell rows, use a 45 degree angle and pull it up to your abdomen. That is all I can think of that is important about it.
I just started doing it again, and it's going amazing. Goodluck.

Vel
06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Hmm. Well you could try my routine. I made it over a year ago with some help from someone who followed one very similiar. My goal was to mimic his, but I couldn't because he had access to machines.

You can scroll down to look at it, and ignore the cardio/HIIT and arrange that however you like.

For that routine, it would probably be a good idea to swap dumbell pullovers with a machine equivalent. Similiarly you might want to replace leg extensions with leg press. Swap bench dips with real dips. And use any ab machine for the ab machine listed and another ab movement for the ab wheel, preferably something you can add resistance too. The volume is low, so you can incorporate as much cardio as you like. The guy who's routine it attempts to mimic did cardio every day except leg day. He was like 195lbs at 6% bodyfat and he like you, ate the same thing every single day.

Also swap the dumbell flys with incline flies, and the one leg calf raises with a calf machine.

The workouts will leave you feeling strong and pumped every time. They are short, heavy, and frequent. Works well.

One more thing, for the incline curls, hammer curls, lateral raises, and front raises, do them one arm at a time. It works better. For the barbell rows, use a 45 degree angle and pull it up to your abdomen. That is all I can think of that is important about it.

ty for the input

Vel
06-10-2005, 03:35 PM

1 thing i forgot to ask is the person whos routine this is mimicing, what kind of cardio was he doing and when ? Am fasted state? Post workout?

And are these work sets to failure?