PDA

View Full Version : Staying motivated!

Rygel
06-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Ok it seems anyone keeping a good log going gets good replies and help from more experienced peeps. So here goes!
Im gonna post my stats soon as i can find a tape to do it. My story is... I let myself get to 278lbs (telling myself id never go over 280) i started to think about it alittle and begun to watch what i was eating (alittle). once i got to around 270 in a week or two (probally water weight) i found myself getting a job that makes me work more in one day than i was in one week. I begun to lose weight along with my "diet" very fast as in in the last three months i've got down to around 250lbs. So since i seen my progress i have decided its time to try to meet some goals and began to get my bad health in check.
About me....
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 250lbs
estimated BF: 25% -will post some pictures soon

I enjoy playing computer games (world of warcraft) , Building and working on computers. Hunting ,fishing and camping. Hope i can get into the gym to replace my lazy hobbies some.

Goals....
Short term... To just be able to get myself into the gym. to stay motivated. continue losing bodyfat in any way shape or form. and to maintain my course to meet my long term goal.
Long term... To get into a size 36 jean (been since 8th grade). want to get under 200lbs if my musle mass will allow it. If not I want to get my Body fat around 10-12% . want to just be able to look into the mirror and feel good about what im looking at. Want a good looking girl to actually smile at me when i walk in.(even though im married!-lol) in the end I really want my health to improve as i am diebetic type 2 , borderline high blood presurre and have high cholesterol.

Will except any help i can get from anyone and will listen! Have a memebership at Gold's Gym. Will be going as soon as i wake up. will post workout idea's and diet in the post as this is just a basic "about me" type beginning!
Thanks for reading and possibly helping in away you feel will help!

Rygel
06-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Ok now that that is out of the way! I have been reading here at the site and some others (in which i like this one best!) that weight training will assist in fat loss more than just cardio will. Im going to start by using the WBB #1 routine. maybe do some cardio from time to time but not mix it on the same days i train. I'll be going to the gym before work so i wont eat before i get there as i have read more than once that training before eating will increase the fat burning. Im guessing that i should eat a high protein meal just after along with my vitamins. Going to be eating a 5-6 meal a day plan. Keeping my carbs to the low side (not to low) and my calories probally alittle lower than most here will agree with. I am not so much worried yet about my muscle mass size as I am fat and have been fat for so long! I cant afford alot of supplements right now but do have some protein laying around. If there are some basic stuff you'd recommend ill do my best to get it! My job has me walking,pulling,lifting and sweating my a** off all day. So at my weight im probally burning a buttload of calories just at work. Im not going to use that as a basis of my caloric intake due to my goal here is to drop as much weight without killing myself so i can do one of those "i cant gain any weight" posts that you see so many times more than a fat guy post! Any help and guidence will be appreciated!

also should i post some pics to give everyone an idea of what im am starting with ? (no fat jokes right!?!-lol)

Unholy
06-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Good luck with your goals. And some starting pics are always good.

Unholy
06-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Oh and by the way what server do you WoW on?

Rygel
06-12-2005, 11:16 AM
DragonBlight . Thanks for the reply also. If your ever on it this is my mains name also.

WBBIRL
06-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Well im in much the same position you are. Except im 12 years younger, am not married and weigh a bit more. I have started losing weight, after highschool football I found myself 320lbs and not as lean as I would like to have been. I got a membership at the local gym and worked out a routine that my body responds great to. My overall long term goals have changed slightly and Im going to edit them to reflect. I plan on losing around 70lbs or so (my lean body mass is in the ball park of 245lbs). I was tinkering with the idea of trying to drop to about 230 ( I will more then likely lose a little muscle mass ) and then bulk cleanly up to 250.

Biggest thing I can suggest for you is do not do cardio at all, your job is physcial enough and until you shed some poundage theres no sense in beating your body more then it needs. Always eat properly, dont be afraid that you wont burn the fat during the lifting sessions because you ate... your body will burn fat while you recover. Lean muscle mass burns alot of fat. Work on your diet and take this to heart, your diet will make or break you and your goals.

As far as my motivation goes, being the biggest strongest man in my family and knowing I'm on higher level then most of the population.

Geeper
06-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Take a ton of pictures and measurements, I totally regret that I never did. I know it's hard to deal with when you are big, but take the shirt off and take pictures! It doesn't matter if you ever share them, you will have them for yourself.

Rygel
06-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Geeper- i just posted in your picture thread! And then i relized you posted here! Good job on your transformation! Its funny that i showed your pics to my wife and i told some of my good friends about you. (or your posts anyway). And if there was anyone i've seen so far that really makes me want to get off my arse its you! no matter how many of these "i lost this in 6weeks" scams i see I can see your work!And your site is fun also! I can tell you ,you will get many questions from me in time to come!
Since i let today get by me im gonna post what i did and what i ate tomorrow. Have to get to bed so i can hit the gym at Odark 30!

Rygel
06-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Had a great day!Probally didnt eat what i should of when i should of but the gym went really well and I had fun! I didnt get my full workout in due to not knowing where some of the equipment was and stuff,so i had to ask questions and it took longer than i wanted.
I followed WBB#1 day one and got in:
Chest: Flat barbell bench:1x90 , 2x110 8 reps each(used smith machine and not sure of the bar weight yet.)(also i wasnt at muscle failure on my last rep,so I'll up weight next workout)
Low incline dumbell:1x15 , 2x35 8 reps each(will start with a higher weight but close to muscle failure on last rep)
Dips (used machine):1x35 each arm , 2x45 8reps each
Back: chin ups (used machine): 1x90 , 2x160
then i ran out of time. Will have to get up 1/2hr earlier!

DIET: 5am:(preworkout)protien shake with 1/4 oatmeal mixed using 1/2cup milk.
6:30: (post)1 tbs nat PB
10am: large chicken breast (oven cooked with olive oil)
12pm: 3 egg whites ,6oz can of chicken
6pm : 2 small salmon patty's cooke din oliveoil. (yes there was alittle breadcrumb in this,along with an egg) , small portion of asparagus.
probally wont eat anything before bed due to what i ate for dinner.
(didnt go as planned due to our schedule was all screwy today)
Its gonna take me some time to adjust my diet completely. Im gonna work it my best. Having 2 kids i have to usually cook for is gonna be hard to not snack on what i cook for them! anyway i see that this will be my weaker point and will just have to adjust!
my shoulders seem to be alittle more sore than anything and i really didnt think i did anything with them!?!

Geeper
06-13-2005, 05:42 PM
So you're eating your breakfast and then working out right away? Wow, that would make me so ill! I usually have to let any meal sit for at least 45 minutes before I think about lifting... I must have a weak stomach!

Your protein shake is important right after working out too! You've just torn and ripped those muscle tissues up, give them the fast delivering protein they need to start the repair job!

You'll figure out the diet and kids, don't worry. My son snacks when I snack and although he might be having trans fat free healthy cookies (don't tell him) I'm eating a can of tuna mixed with pepper. He doesn't know the difference. And he looks forward to our chicken breasts at supper every night! If I could only turn him on to oatmeal we'd be eating a lot of the same things, except I'm not crazy about his veggies!!!!

And the shoulders... you did a lot with them! They aren't the major muscle group in each exercise you did, but they are certainly involved in all those exercises! They are often a lacking part and maybe why they are sore. You'll get there...

BTW- Thanks for the compliments,

rcbrymer
06-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Rygel...congrats man, you made it to the gym and asked questions. I find that asking questions to be the hardest part in the gym. Remember that success is a succession of failures. Anything that you identify today, you can correct tomorrow. Built, she is not a man, gave me some great pointers on my diet. Iím reworking the diet tonight. The planning of it all still has me confused, getting up, eating, waiting, working out, going to work, balancing home life. But Iím sure we will both get it worked out and be successful. Later rbrymer.

D Breyer
06-13-2005, 06:17 PM
good luck with the chicks man

Built
06-13-2005, 06:47 PM
i am diebetic type 2 , borderline high blood presurre and have high cholesterol.
I started this lifestyle almost 4 years ago, at age 38, with borderline type 2 diabetes (on Metformin - I'm off now) and with cholesterol that had been through the roof since my early thirties.

Good for you for doing this. You'll never want to go back.

Rygel
06-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Built- do you have any pictures from before you started to work out? Your amazing now-just like to see what you started with!

Rygel
06-13-2005, 07:27 PM
geeper- would i want to maybe do just a pure protien shake after my workout? my main goal is to lose the weight (you'll see in my pictures). What i did was drink the shake and then left for the gym. so its about a 15 min break inbetween. Is this ok? Im getting up so early now and now that i seen it took me longer than i wanted im gonna be getting up around 4:30. Id have to say i feel better at work when i go to the gym first! but then i walso feel like going to bed way to early! - thanks for the replies!

Built
06-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Rygel - thank you, and unfortunately, no. I hid from the camera back then.

Rygel
06-14-2005, 05:18 PM
God durn did i wake up sore as crap! my back and chest needed to be streched as i "ROLLED" out of bed! but i know its for the better of my bod!
didnt go the gym was an off day and want to see how my bod will do with the workouts before i start any serious cardio on my off days! Am going to the gym in the morning!
5:30am:3 egg whites, 3 pieces turkey bacon (cooked in microwave,all grease wiped off)
10am: protien shake(1/4 cup oatmeal mixed in)
12: small can of chicken (2 fishoil caps) , 1 small chicken breast.
3pm: carbfree yogurt
6pm: 2 turkey sausages (150cal,9g fat,16 gram protien each) grilled with some onions/garlic (ummm.yes with butter-used when grilling) and 2 small french fries and i actually quit!!!! it was so hard to see my wife and kids eating them! but i did it!

Had a good day but i was sore all day. My tri's are sore also -guess from the bench presses- other than that it feels good to be on my way!

Built
06-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Do yourself a favour and start keeping track of your food on www.fitday.com

It'll be interesting to see what your macros are.

Rygel
06-14-2005, 06:24 PM
LOL- you are fast! i decided to do this today and just got done! Its not good as it shows my cals only at 1218 for the day--not to include the sneaking in of 2 small fries.
cals:1218
fat: 43
carbs: 38
pro: 161

This will all get better as i figure what to buy! I think i may just take alook at your diet and go from there. With my job and going to the gym im sure my cals should be higher but..... with me wanting to lose weight as #1 its tough for me to want to add more. Is it true if i dont add anymore that my metabolism will shut down and store everything i eat and burn my muscle? As in this is the first time i've ever been intrested in building along with losing fat! ack- i forgot to add the fish oil also.
i really want to do this right its just so hard to have to eat more when i feel i've done so good at not cheating! What would be best for my night meal being i am tryin to lose?

Built
06-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Cottage cheese - I eat cc at bedtime every night, with a little natty PB and a chunk of apple.

Built
06-14-2005, 06:31 PM
PS your cals are FAR too low. I'd aim for no lower than 2000, (2000 is hypocaloric even for ME, and I weigh a buck thirty four!)

Rygel
06-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey i weighed 134 once--think i was 5! LOL. Thanks for the help!

Geeper
06-15-2005, 04:54 PM
PS your cals are FAR too low. I'd aim for no lower than 2000, (2000 is hypocaloric even for ME, and I weigh a buck thirty four!)

WAY TO LOW!

I have the slowest metabolism you can imagine (no thyroid at all) and I eat 1700-1800 while cutting, 1200 would kill even me! Eat at least 2000!!! You're a healthy man, you are just going to slow your system down to adapt to the low cals and then you won't be able to build muscle and your body will panic and try to store as much fat as it can. Eat more than 1200!!!!

I'd be interested in what Built aims for, but I aim for roughly 40% Protein, 40% carbs and about 20% fat.

Rygel
06-16-2005, 04:43 PM
OK yesterday i did legs- got the full routine in and felt good! I hate doing my legs cause i been fat for so long they are already decent size. but im sticking with this plan! I ate a few more calories but at teh expense of hitting up DQ with my brother. I mean come on it was over 100deg today and and......BAH no excuse! anyway my calories were alittle over 2000 as i adjusted my night eating to the good reese's cup blizzard. (i did go small with it!)

Rygel
06-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Ok . Had a good day. My legs werent as sore as my shoulders and tri's were after the first workout but heck they been carring 278lbs around forever! have bi's and tri's tomorrow i believe.
my food so far is around 1145 cal,24 fat,107 carbs(eep), 129 protein.
suprized me as i ate grapenuts with skim milk this morning.
6am:1c grapenuts, 1/2 cup skim milk.
9am: natty pb
11am: chicken breast
12:45: can chicken,turkey brat
6pm: chicken leg/thigh (baked) ,1/2c broccoli, 1c squash
this is before night snack and didnt add the PB in the cal yet as i cant find natural PB on fitday.so im sure its over 1500 and will be.
my schedule was all messed up today . still need to get over 2000 but im just not hungry. Guess a nighttime snack sounds good tonight----maybe some of those oatmeal cookies i saw in the recipie section! (gonna have to watch how high my carb intake is though!)

Rygel
06-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Worked day 3 of WBB#1 - went good. Really feel i could of worked my bi's alillte harder. No soreness at all this morn.Tri's are alittle sore. Gonna hopefully post some pics soon. could of had this routine done fast if this guy wouldnt of been talking so much. But he's cool cause he helped me find some machines.
4:45: proshake/ 1/2c oatmeal
workout
7am: med chicken breast
10am: turkey brat (leftovers)
12:30: half cup brocolli, carb yogurt, 3 egg whites,1 whole egg.
3: proshake
6: 1/2c stewed deer meat , 1/2 c corn, 1/2c lima beans.
and i ate afew of the oatmeal cookies they show in the recipe section

didnt even go much over 2000cal again. I wont be eating all thet in my upcoming diet as i ran out of alot of stuff and am tryin to get rid of some of the stuff in the cabinets.
all around good day and am really starting to get where this could be a new lifestyle for me!

Geeper
06-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Chichen breast at 7am... that's hardcore, it took me about a year of lifting before I was 1/2 that serious! Great day man!

Rygel
06-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Well to tell the truth my job kinda dictates when i get to sneak a small meal in. Id like my times to look more even as in 6,9,12,3,6,9 but sometimes we get to a point where we cant stop for another 45 min or so. and it messes my complete cycle up. Cause maybe we only get a 5min break or so. guess i need to write my meals down and atleast eat what i have for that meal. So maybe i can do my carbs thing before and after workout then lower them during the day. right now i just look in my box and get what i feel i want to go ahead and eat.

Rygel
06-20-2005, 07:26 PM
crap-doublepost!

Rygel
06-20-2005, 07:31 PM
OK.... My night sucked so bad (i got poison ivy all over) I didnt sleep hardly any so i decided to just sleep in till work time and go the gym this afternoon. When i got to the gym finally it was less packed then i thought in the afternoon. I went on with my WBB#1 routine day #1. back/chest.... I SMOKED MY ARSE! I feel pumped and its 4 hrs later! I cant believe how much im enjoying all this ! I know i wont be able to move in the morning but right now i feel great! I'm going to take some kinda sleep aid tonight (guess just tylenol PM) so i dont wake up itching all night again! also was my first time taking creatine. maybe has somin to do with the way i feel?
anyway my diet was around 2000 cal. way to many carbs again but im learning. Im gonna start posting what i lifted again but i feel so durn weak! also i noticed i should be able to blast my old (highschool) max out of the water on bench as i lifted 5lbs less 5 times before i realized what i had on the bar after lifting my first set already! Cant wait till after my first 6 weeks cause im going to try a max!

Rygel
06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Diet going good (is hard to keep it that way--very hard) going to the gym on my days on starting to learn what i need to do and i feel awesome afterwards. Just feel dumb that im lifting and not losing weight. My goals are not to gain they are to lose- im thinking of going to an all cardio based routine for a bit...maybe i will finish out my first 6 week WBB#1 and then just do cardio. I'm not sure yet.

Geeper
06-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Don't get discouraged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or I'll come over there and kick your a$$!)

Cardio helped my weight loss a lot at one point, so I would never advise against it (even though after I dropped below a certain bf% it didn't do much for me at all) but keep lifting! You want to keep as much muscle mass on your body as possible.

Personally, I found the trick to successful with cardio was to do "real life" cardio. I used to work out with a few boxers and they shunned the elliptical machines, the stationary bikes, the stair climbers ect, When they need to loose weight they hit the streets (or treadmill) and did "roadwork" or skipped rope, and personally, at one point I did an hour a day on an ellipitcal machine with little results, but when I switched to the treadmill I saw a huge difference.

Whatever you decide, keep lifting or when the fat is gone you'll be regretting you didn't maintaining as much muscle as you could have.

MonkeyDust
06-23-2005, 05:12 PM
wow, cals is at wat i call at an"eeeeeeek".

i just made that up now btw

anyways, you sound really determined and if u dont only sound it but actually keep to it, then the pounds will just fly off, in 6 months youl step on the scale and be like " W00t, i-r 1337,"

Rygel
06-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Yeah - im just gonna add the cardio in on my off days during the week i guess. I really want to keep lifting (you'll see why when i finally post pics, I'm kinda on a muscular build with alot of fat around it) but i just seem to not be going anywhere with it- I'm not giving up !

Rygel
06-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Had a good day. lots of cardio all day. workout went good.Already seeing my limits going up! diet is on track! Think im going to add cardio in now for sure on my off days and maybe this weekend!

Rygel
06-27-2005, 05:27 PM
just did a big post and i hit backspace and its all gone. Basically i had a great day other than it being hot as crap. I had a fun day at the gym! i feel like i ate my arse off but am still not meeting my 2000 cal bottom! Im only at around 1300 for the day and am gonna add a few more when i eat some cottage cheese and maybe some natty PB. If i find at the end of the day i havent meet the 2000 cal bottom should i feed my face?

Geeper
06-27-2005, 05:33 PM
just did a big post and i hit backspace and its all gone. Basically i had a great day other than it being hot as crap. I had a fun day at the gym! i feel like i ate my arse off but am still not meeting my 2000 cal bottom! Im only at around 1300 for the day and am gonna add a few more when i eat some cottage cheese and maybe some natty PB. If i find at the end of the day i havent meet the 2000 cal bottom should i feed my face?

For me "making up cals" while trying to loose weight was a big mistake. FOR ME, it was always best to just spread the 2000 throughout the day... and yes this can take some planning, but it can be done, and knowing you've eaten chicken breasts at 7am I think if you put your mind to it you can do it. It's planning, but you can do it.

Rygel
07-05-2005, 08:18 PM
So far so good! i got my first complimate (im drunk so spelling is gonna be srcrewed!) i also saw the veins in my forearms at the gym! Im getting stoked that i've stayed with the program so well! i cant wait for my next 6 weeks! Im gonna add alot to it and try to get big! (while losing the weight!) will do my pics and measurements soon as i really feel someone may step up and help me!

Rygel
07-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Havent been keeping up with my journal like i wanted but i am going to the gym without missing a day (cept 4th). Seeing good improvements and getting complimants. Havent been all that straight with my diet but I'm doing ok. I do really good at work and when I'm not just sitting around the house. I can hear the the icecream calling my name now from the store!
This week will be my 6th so I'm going to start a new cycle and really try to get my diet straight! Will be doing my pics now that i feel atleast i have something for peeps to critique! (liposuction answers will not be accepted unless you are paying!)

BossHawg02
08-23-2005, 08:01 PM
throw a little honey in it