PDA

View Full Version : A Few Cardio Questions

Shobe
06-12-2005, 08:08 AM
I"m currently on a cutting diet, but I have a few questions regarding cardio.

1. Should I do cardio first thing in the morning on a empty stomach, or eat some egg whites and oatmeal then do my cardio like an 1 hr later?

2. Should I take a protein shake after running, and if so how long after I"m done my running?

3. How many days and how long each week would be ok to do cardio without losing muscle?

Thanks.

KevinStarke
06-12-2005, 08:55 AM
I can answer these in personal opinion but dont take what i say as "the thing to do". For question one i like to do cardio first thing in the morning when i wake up. I take in alot of protein before bed and im never that hungry in the morning so i run right when i wake up before i get hungry then come home and monge. I drink several protein shakes a day but i dont know if i'd take one right after i ran. I would drink plenty of water and get some food in for the day. I continue to work out if you dont wanna lose muscle thats what you should continue to do. Again this is just me, best of luck on the cutting diet.

Unreal
06-12-2005, 08:58 AM
1. I would eat before. I find it hard to do long cardio sessions on an empty stomach, yet power through them after some food. If you take 500 calories before and do 500 calories of cardio, I don't think it matters before or after.

2. Depends on type of running. For HIIT the people here suggest treating it as a weight session and feeding it with protein. For a extended cardio session I would say no need for protein shake because your not going into an anabolic zone like after weight lifting.

You can do cardio 3 hours daily if you want, as long as you have enough calories and right calories.

MixmasterNash
06-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Calories in and out trumps everything else. Stop being so fiddly about timing of food intake versus cardio. I'm guessing it simply doesn't matter for 95% of trainees. If you want to burn more calories, exercise more.

I think Unreal is correct: eat enough at the right time so you can perform the exercise.

Built
06-12-2005, 11:28 AM
I disagree. You aren't only trying to lose WEIGHT, you're trying to lose FAT and preserve MUSCLE.

AM empty steady-state cardio, but feed HIIT like lifting.