PDA

View Full Version : what to eat

Rygel
06-12-2005, 08:37 AM
not sure how to start this so ill just give it outright.
If i wake up from sleep and head straight to the gym (drinking only water) (and hearing that more fat is burned on a fast) to lift weights (with no cardio) What is a good meal to eat just after? keeping in mind my main goal here is to lose over (or atleast) 50lbs. Me (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65677) Gonna use this as my starting meal for the day. on a 5-6meal a day diet.

KevinStarke
06-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Woah, you should definitelly eat some breakfast man. Get plenty of carbs in you before you lift and you definitelly want protien. My diet consists of 7-8 small meals and follows pretty much a 40-40-20 (40% Carbs, 40% protien, 20% fat). Just after you want to get plenty of protein in to and dont forget to keep eating all day. You can still eat and lose weight you just need to eat the right things.

Rygel
06-12-2005, 11:13 AM
But for a max fat burn workout eating carbs before i workout will use them as fuel. Im wanting to use my reserves as fuel so i burn what i have stored i would think? Im in no way intrested in having more muscle at this point as i am losing what fat i have around it first. If i get big and dont lose the fat i have I'll end up being bigger looking than i already am.

YungLifter
06-12-2005, 11:25 AM
More lean muscle you have the more fat you burn so you should be concerned with building some muscle. Like this you'll even be burning fat in your sleep.

Built
06-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Hmmmm... lifting isn't aerobic, it's anaerobic. You want it fed so you don't catabolize muscle tissue. For a cut, you WANT to catabolize fat, but not muscle. The weights will help convince your body to do this.

Feed your lifts, but do AM empty, steady-state cardio for fatburning.

Lots of ways to diet. You can have a peek at the link in my sig to see how I do it, and how I time my macronutrients. I like a higher-fat approach, and it's working well for me. And it's comfortable.

Rygel
06-12-2005, 12:05 PM
:omg: Just to tell you - you are a very good looking woman(Built)!
anyway :off that subject - I only have mornings to do my routine. Have my kids in the afternoons and my work requires me to have alittle rest in the afternoons. I know i dont want to combine cardio and weight training together so what do i do? if i do a split (cardio one day then weigths the next) would i fast the cardio days , then eat before workout the weight days?
Also my job has me pulling,lifting and sweating all day. So really i get in good cardio all day. and i dont think that the rule of your body getting use to "your job" can apply with mine. it reminds me of indian sprints from the army. cept i do it all day (atleast 6 hrs). its like constant hard work then sometimes it elevates for 15-20 min to the point my body is truely at complete muscle failure -of course some of the guys i work with dont work as hard but i guess im old school and they are young (and lazy).

Built
06-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Thank you! :kiss:
Your plan of alternating days sounds good.

The biggest deal for cutting (or bulking, for that matter) is diet.

Post up what you're eating. There are lots of plans - just a matter of finding one that fits you.

WBBIRL
06-12-2005, 12:41 PM
get your proteins, id say 1g per lb of target bodyweight. 200g a day will do you good. Water is VERY important, you can manipulate the scale by not drinking enough water and will lead you into a false sense of accomplishment. dont worry about eating before training, your body continues to burn calories at an elevated level some time after your done lifting. Your main targest should be WHAT you are eating and not WHEN, ill agree timing can be helpful but dont be paranoid that if you have carbs before a training session that youll only be burning off your food.

ReelBigFish
06-12-2005, 05:00 PM
You should always eat before lifting weights. Never wake up and just straight hit the weights. Cardio is fine this way but lifting with out some carbs and protien in you isn't optimal at all, cutting or not.

Shao-LiN
06-12-2005, 08:19 PM
You should always at least drink a protein shake before you lift. Thinking that you can fast before you lift and burn more fat is false.