PDA

View Full Version : Competition Coming Up

KevinStarke
06-12-2005, 03:20 PM
There is a BP / DL competition coming up on the 26th in CT that i am going to enter. I'm going in to the 148 lb weight class so i'll have to drop a few lbs. I was just wondering if anyone who has more competition experience has any tips regarding weight loss for the weigh in, what to eat after, just how to maximize my performance over all. Any help is much appreciated, also im competing raw even though bench shirts are allowed.

drew
06-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Kev, did you hear from Donna yet?

Even though I'm not benching, we should get together at the meet since we'll most likely be deadlifting in the same flight.

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Yah she e-mailed me back. Said i have to pay at the weigh in and sent me an application. I'll definitelly be there and yah i'll meet up with you there. She said i'll probably be the only one benching raw but its all good.

drew
06-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Awesome. You're gonna own that bench.

Max-Mex
06-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Where and when is the comp?

drew
06-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Norwich , CT at World Gym. June 26, Sunday. 9:15AM is rules briefing. You gonna go?

Max-Mex
06-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Jesus H christ Kevin...a 315 bench@150. Drew is right, you should own. Damn I weigh more than you and you own me on all the lifts. Rat bastard!

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Haha thanks man, i have to do it raw so all im hoping for is that theres no 148's there that have been training in a shirt because that could cause problems. I'm pretty confident i'll do ok though. Mass isnt far you should come, little short notice though i suppose.

Max-Mex
06-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Where in CT? If I have time, I might be able to do it but I need to know where.

EDIT: NM didnt even see drew's post. DOH!

Max-Mex
06-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Norwich , CT at World Gym. June 26, Sunday. 9:15AM is rules briefing. You gonna go?

It's possible. If I dont work, I'm sure I can convice the wife to lend me the car for the day. That's a big if about work though. During the summer time I almost always work on the weekend.

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Its at the World Gym in Norwich, CT. The weigh in is on the 25th between 2-4 and the competition is the morning after, benching starts at 9:30

Max-Mex
06-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Well ****, that's like a hop, skip, and a jump from Mystic (where my wife is from). As soon as I find out about work I'll PM either of you and see when I can head down.

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Sounds good man, let me know what your plans are.

drew
06-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah, Mystic is only about 15 minutes away from there. I'm going to hit up Mohegan Sun afterward. You're welcome to come along if you make the trip.

Max-Mex
06-13-2005, 01:13 PM
w0rd!

Sensei
06-13-2005, 01:15 PM
There is a BP / DL competition coming up on the 26th in CT that i am going to enter. I'm going in to the 148 lb weight class so i'll have to drop a few lbs. I was just wondering if anyone who has more competition experience has any tips regarding weight loss for the weigh in, what to eat after, just how to maximize my performance over all. Any help is much appreciated, also im competing raw even though bench shirts are allowed.

If there's an early weigh-in that you can do, do it - it makes a huge difference when you don't have to worry about your weight the morning of a competition.

If you really only have to shave 1-4lbs, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to do that. Assuming you take an early weigh-in, eat a light dinner the night before, eat a very light lunch and watch your sodium/carb/water intake the day of.

After you are done w. the weigh-in, eat normally but don't engorge yourself - one thing you don't want is stomach troubles on the day of a meet.

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Yah the weigh in is the 25th, competitions the morning after. Thanks for the advice man i'll definitelly prep for that weigh in.

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Mystic is only about 15 minutes away from there. I'm going to hit up Mohegan Sun afterward. You're welcome to come along if you make the trip.

Grrrr... well i can see R rated movies... damn...

drew
06-13-2005, 01:37 PM
I think they have an arcade there. And maybe a movie theatre. When are you 18? You can play bingo then. lol

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 01:42 PM
You bastard... Oct 4th i'll be 18.

WBBIRL
06-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Well, ive had to make weight for several of our high school football lifting meets.... 8th through 10th. Heres what helped me, start consuming a little less then normal water about 3 days before hand ( i started 7 before but I had to go from 225 down to 215 ). Heavy cardio a few days beforehand up to the weigh in morning will help. This does dehydrate your body pretty well, and unlike you I had only hours before the meet to weigh in. I just hydrated myself very well during those few hours and hit all my goal numbers. Plan a decent meal about 4 hours before the competetion and start re hydration immeditaly after weighing in.

You only need to lose 2lbs and in all reality you could drop that weight wrather then squeeze it out in water like I have done in the past. Just an idea incase you need to do some last minuet trimming.

Good luck and beat those shirted bastards.

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Haha thanks for the tips man, im 152 at the moment but i ate not to long ago, ive got plenty of time before hand and im sure it wont be a problem. In the end its just gonna be like 3-5 lbs at the most which i can piss and **** out.

Chris Rodgers
06-13-2005, 03:24 PM
I would avoid the cardio the week of. Worse case scenario a sauna and some good ole' spitting before you get on the scale will help the last couple lbs. Like someone suggested a real light dinner, perhaps with no carbs the night before weigh-ins should be good. The morning of weigh-ins, just use the bathroom first thing and don't drink or eat anything. Go right there and weigh-in and then rehydrate back up.

I'm a little less clean and scientific about it, but I like to eat some pizza w/salt on it and drink a ton of powdered gatorade, water and creatine the day before the meet. Helps me load up a bit if I've lost some water.

The main thing is that you don't want to feel weakened on meet day. That's why I think for us little guys we need to keep our weight very close to our competition weight.

Good luck! That's a real nice raw bench for your weight. I'm sure you might beat some of the guys using shirts for your weight class(my PR@ 148 in a shirt is 315, lol).

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Excellent! thanks for the advice man and coming from not only a skilled power lifter but a fellow little guy thats extremelly encouraging, i hope to one day have lifts like yours man. Thanks again!

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 03:46 PM
By the way, why the sodium intake before a comp, i've been hearing about that.

Chris Rodgers
06-13-2005, 08:24 PM
To drop weight, usually you would cut it out or at least lower sodium intake to as little as possible. To put it back on loading up can help speed the process. Just basically helps you hold more water.

KevinStarke
06-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Ah i see i see, learning new things everyday, thanks man!

Gutz981
06-17-2005, 08:12 AM
All I can say is good luck to all of you guys that are going and Be sure to take some pictures and post em up! Hit it hard!

KevinStarke
06-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Haha will do, thanks man

Max-Mex
06-30-2005, 04:40 AM
Hey guys, sorry for missing the comp. I totally forgot about it! Couldn't have gone anyway because I had to work. I hope both of you did well, and I also hope there are some vid clips or pics.

drew
06-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Max, some pics of me in my journal. Haven't seen any of Kevin's yet. I thought he had some vids.

KevinStarke
06-30-2005, 08:40 AM
I have the video of my 275 but im at sonjas house so i have no way of getting on my bro's site though, but he's making me a site so i can upload my own stuff hopefully today.