PDA

View Full Version : Cheat Days? Better on Training Days or on Off Days?

Mic Soloist
06-12-2005, 03:38 PM
I know that calories consumed on training days are more likely to go towards rebuilding rather than storing fat. So is it better to cheat on a workout day, or on an off day. I ask because today is an off day for me, and I was thinking I might have a cheat meal or two. I am currently cutting @ about 13%. Trying to see abs and be semi ripped before my next bigggg bulk.

Built
06-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I always plan my massive cheat days to coincide with my heaviest workouts, if for no other reason than that way I have a GREAT couple of workouts! (ie the workout the day of the cheat, and the workout the next day).

Mic Soloist
06-12-2005, 03:45 PM
makes sense...

Built
06-12-2005, 03:47 PM
It's at least FUN that way!

I usually do my leg day the day OF the cheat, and a heavy back workout the next day, followed by HIIT.

Mic Soloist
06-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Today I took off because I trained with weights and cardio for two days in a row and I am very tired. Tonight I was thinking of eating a little more than normal and having a couple miller lights. Followed by cardio in the morning and chest/back tomorrow evening. I may just stick to the diet...

Built
06-12-2005, 05:26 PM
If you need a refeed, do it. I just really like to train on junk food. :)

AllUp
06-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Besides, it helps justify the cheat day (what a sweet workout.. I'm hungry as f***). :)

Tony G
06-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Yeah, it can go both ways. On the day of, you feel a little less guilty and your subsequent workout will kick ass. Some people choose to do a refeed on a day off due to the lethargic feeling that some feel when ingesting so many carbs. Then again, if you plan it on a day AFTER you train, this won't matter. The key is to make sure you are relatively depleted to prevent spill-over.

Also, I would like to add, that if you just FEEL that you need a day to eat, then do it. It's your body telling you something. It's rare....but sometimes I have days where I am just hungry as hell and cannot stop eating. I just think of it as my body telling me that I need some calories. No big deal cause I know the following day I will be back on task

Drai's
06-16-2005, 08:52 AM
The key is to make sure you are relatively depleted to prevent spill-over.

Very good point. This isn't guaranteed to prevent spill-over, but it will sure help.

Optimally, I'd like to do a workout the day of (but before) the refeed as it aids in nutrient partitioning. I would then also like to workout the following day because my strength should be quite high. The best of both worlds I guess.

YungLifter
06-16-2005, 08:55 AM
what's spill over?

Drai's
06-16-2005, 09:00 AM
what's spill over?

If your muscles are depleted, they usually take precedence over fat cells in terms of who gets the calories (at least in terms of carbs). Spill-over refers to some of those carbs/calories becoming fat.

This is also why I feel a cheat actually hurts you less while cutting than bulking. When bulking you really don't need those extra calories.

Rygel
06-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Well i do know that i felt so bad yesterday because i cheated that i didnt even post! MY brother hadnt eatin all day (he just started work with me) and a bud needed us to help him cut some trees but couldnt make it for about a half hour-- so he wanted me to stop. he saw a (can i say the "D" word on here?) <insert DQ here> ....well since icecream is my weakest point i failed to a kinda! i got a SMALL resse's blizzard. that being my first small one ever! this post makes me feel alittle better. But i did adjust my intake and didnt go very far over just didnt get any food last night!

twm
06-16-2005, 04:25 PM
this thread inspired me to buy a .75 lb beef tenderloin to stuff myself with tonight

Built
06-16-2005, 04:29 PM
12 ounces to STUFF yourself with?

<pffft> Amateur.

getfit
06-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Well i do know that i felt so bad yesterday because i cheated that i didnt even post! MY brother hadnt eatin all day (he just started work with me) and a bud needed us to help him cut some trees but couldnt make it for about a half hour-- so he wanted me to stop. he saw a (can i say the "D" word on here?) <insert DQ here> ....well since icecream is my weakest point i failed to a kinda! i got a SMALL resse's blizzard. that being my first small one ever! this post makes me feel alittle better. But i did adjust my intake and didnt go very far over just didnt get any food last night!
did you enjoy it? a little cheat here and there no biggie!!

twm
06-16-2005, 04:57 PM
12 ounces to STUFF yourself with?

<pffft> Amateur.
well.. I'm already kind of full from my early afternoon meal :P

Rygel
06-16-2005, 04:59 PM
did you enjoy it? a little cheat here and there no biggie!!

OMG.. it was almost as close to having sex! its been over 3 weeks since i ate anything like that! I sat and enjoyed it slowly in the airconditioning after working outside all day in over 100deg heat!

getfit
06-16-2005, 04:59 PM
OMG.. it was almost as close to having sex! its been over 3 weeks since i ate anything like that! I sat and enjoyed it slowly in the airconditioning after working outside all day in over 100deg heat!
sweet :)