PDA

View Full Version : If you are squeamish, donít look. But HELP!

rcbrymer
06-12-2005, 04:45 PM
This is me today. :help: This will NOT be me in 12 weeks. My kitchen is clean of all the bad foods. There is a Nicotine patch on my arm. I have my routine on paper for next week. Sorry for the pic, but this is my commitment to get healthier and look better. I havenít taken my shirt off in public in years because of the man breast.

With that said, can anyone suggest how to build my arms and chest while losing 10 years of beer from my midsection? Also, the gym I just joined has personal trainers. How do you know if they know what they are talking about? Are there certifications or can anyone throw on a shirt that says ďtrainerĒ? Thanks.

Built
06-12-2005, 05:21 PM
What is your planned diet like?

KiwiBuilder
06-12-2005, 05:39 PM
This is me today. :help: This will NOT be me in 12 weeks. My kitchen is clean of all the bad foods. There is a Nicotine patch on my arm. I have my routine on paper for next week. Sorry for the pic, but this is my commitment to get healthier and look better. I havenít taken my shirt off in public in years because of the man breast.

With that said, can anyone suggest how to build my arms and chest while losing 10 years of beer from my midsection? Also, the gym I just joined has personal trainers. How do you know if they know what they are talking about? Are there certifications or can anyone throw on a shirt that says ďtrainerĒ? Thanks.

Crikey! Good luck mang.

Unholy
06-12-2005, 05:49 PM
goood luck bro.

getfit
06-12-2005, 05:51 PM
good luck with everything concentrate on your diet! :)

rcbrymer
06-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Tomorrow is:

Breakfast:
1 fat free Yoplait Yogurt
.5 cup fat free cottage chees
8 oz V-8 (I'm addicted to this stuff)

Snack:
1 EAS Bar

Lunch:
Spinach Salad w/Walnuts with 1 tablespoon olive oil and lime juice
6 oz grilled chicken breast

Snack
1/4 cup peanuts

Dinner:
Grilled Salmon with dill sause made from plain fat free yogurt
1 small backed sweet potatoe

128 oz of water

I usually do not eat after 6 pm. Never have. If I do, I find it hard to sleep.

I am reserving Friday nights for a 7oz Sirloin with a plain baked potato and ceceaser salad, minus croutons. Plus one martini w/two olives.

Any suggestions?

Built
06-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Suggestions - yes.

Ditch the EAS bar and the fat free yoplait.

Don't snack - eat. 6 meals a day, protein-centred. Think of peanuts as a fat source, not a protein source.

I always eat my last meal just before I sleep. Everybody is different.

Looks like not enough food, not enough fat.

Go to www.fitday.com and enter these foods. Post up the macros.

boxingtigger
06-13-2005, 09:31 AM
I would have to agree with Built, get rid of the EAS bar. Also, it may be hard, get rid of the V-8. This stuff is loaded with sodium. It will make you retain water like crazy. Even if you go with low sodium V-8 it is still to much. By retaining water, it will make you think you are not losing weight. Drop the yogurt as well. Go with high protein solid meals. They will help you out more. It may sound crazy, but try to get in some oatmeal, plain - not instant, and work in some sweet potato. Also, increase your chicken to about 9oz. in weight after cooking.

drew
06-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Listen to Built. Wait... first, LOOK at Built. Then understand why you should listen to her.

Make sure to lift. And work your legs. Use trainers with caution. Most of them know nothing. If you have a question about anything, ask here. There is more experience on this board than any of those trainers have. (with exceptions to the real trainers, who don't typically work in commercial gyms).

Good luck!

boxingtigger
06-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Also, if you are going to spend the money on a trainer I would first put my money toward sitting down with someone and haveing them work out a meal plan for you. Hold off on the trainer for at least a month or two. Just till you get adjusted to working out and going on a regular basis. I would strongly suggest that you do your workouts first thing in the morning with maybe just a 12oz. zero carb whey protein. This will help you burn the fat the fastest. Don't workout in the evenings, do it in the mornings. I use the Isopure Zero Carb. whey protein and I love it. It has everything you need. There are cheaper ones, but I found that this product is well worth the money.

Relentless
06-13-2005, 09:52 AM
most important tip:

do NOT let one slip/cheat/bad meal kick you off the wagon. There's a really good article on here at WBB somewhere by John Berardi where he talks about hitting his target for 95% of his meals in a week or something like that. That sort of approach will help you with your diet planning greatly... it sounds a bit to me like you've 'got religion' about eating and living healthy now and the trick will be to make it a lifestyle change and not just something you've decided to try for a couple of weeks.

Guido
06-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Good advice from just about everyone here. I should just add, working your entire body is important. Do not ignore the two largest muscle groups in your body, your back and legs! You will gain the most muscle mass that way, helping you to have a higher basal metabolism (i.e. how many calories you burn naturally, not including activities or exercise). You want to keep in mind that the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in! Fitday.com is a great way to track this and make sure you are staying within your goals. Shoot for 500 calories/day LESS than maintenance. You can get a rough estimate of your maintenance calories by taking your current body weight x 15. You can also figure it on Fitday. You want to lose fat while maintaining or building as much muscle mass as you can.

Finally, try to shoot for foods with a high amount of protein, some fat (just not saturated fat), and complex carbs, not simple carbs like sugars. Read the thread entitled "What a Bodybuilder Eats" under the Nutrition forum to get an idea of the kinds of foods that will benefit you.

Good luck! :thumbup:

rcbrymer
06-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Two questions: (1) what does a small meal consist of? I have found conflicting information against Bill Phillipsí protein and carb and John Beradi's protein and vegetable (if I read him correctly) (2) should I drink a protein shake before weight training in the mornings? Iím still under the assumption that I can jump out of bed and do a cario workout without eating.

Thank you. Thank all of you for you positive feedback, a HUGE thanks to Built. Who in the heck would think you are a man? Built, I tossed the EAS bars, reclassified the peanuts as fat (OH, love dry roasted peanuts) and reworking the diet tonight. Iím going to try the fitday site. This is a little more difficult than I thought.

I tossed the Yoplait because of the high frutose corn syrup. I preach against this stuff all the time at work (Menís Health Mag). However, I kept the plain non-fat yogurt. I see nothing bad it except a mystery ingredient ďmodified gelatinĒ. I googling this when Iím finished here.

Drew, if Built told me to dance naked in the streets I would. If she told me to eat asparagus, the only vegetable I hate, I would try.

Boxingtigger, I have a Juiceman. I guess Iíll have to concoct my own V-8 juice. It was low sodium, by the way. Iím off to GNC tomorrow to find the Isopure Zero Crab whey protein. And I have Quaker Old Fashion Oats in the panty. I use it instead of bead crumbs in meatloaf, 98% lean. J

Callahan, I grew up Southern Baptist and on a dairy farm. I know about backsliding J. Iíll keep getting back up this horse. After I learn how to eat, I should have a problem with the diet. The belly you see is from beer and fast food because I havenít taken time to cook and think about what is going in my mouth. I didnít have a cigarette today!

Guido, J Iím following the Bill Phillipís routine for the first 12 weeks. Like the diet, changeable if needed. The legs and back will get weights also. In addition, my kitchen is full of ďWhat a Body Builder EatsĒ. I threw out all of the refined sugar and starches I could find yesterday. I may need to tweak a little more.

Iím going to start the online journal sometime this week. The hardest thing about the workout today was trying to discover what I could lift and when. The 15lb db was light to start with, but after 8 reps (which I didnít complete) became pretty heavy. Itís the science of discovery. I felt like a wussÖ.but a determined wuss.

I worked out at lunch today instead of after work. Iíll set the alarm to get up in the morning. Work out change # 1.

Once againÖthank you all. This is the best website I have found. I canít wait to post a follow up pic in twelve weeks. Bless you all.

Built
06-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Two questions: (1) what does a small meal consist of?
I split my daily protein ration into 6 portions. One of these portions forms the basis of a meal. I don't snack.

The meal will consist of EITHER that protein with fat, OR that protein with starchy carb. I generally keep fats and starches away from each other. I target my carbs to coincide with my lifts, so these meals I want to go into me faster, and the fats slow things down. The rest of my meals, I WANT the food to get delivered to my cells slower so I don't get so hungry.

I eat green veggies with at least 3 of my daily meals. I cut up an apple and eat a third of it at a time with some of my meals. You can have a peek at my diet in my sig to see how I time things. I was fat for about 20 years, and I LOVE to eat. I really have to work hard at appetite control.

I have found conflicting information against Bill Phillipsí protein and carb and John Beradi's protein and vegetable (if I read him correctly)
Given the choice between two demons, I'd stick with Berardi. I don't like BFL's guidelines, as a rule, although it's a good enough place to start when you're new to this. Maybe you could expand on what the conflicting information is...?

(2) should I drink a protein shake before weight training in the mornings? Iím still under the assumption that I can jump out of bed and do a cario workout without eating.
Steady state cardio empty in the AM is exactly what I do (fast walk, 20 minutes). You are correct in thinking a whey shake with some carb in it would be good for pre-lifting OR pre-HIIT, which should be fed the same as a lifting workout. Try to get the whey with carb into you at least half an hour before you lift. How much? You'll have to experiment. I'd say at least one scoop protein (usually around 25g protein) with at least 25 g carb of some sort. My preference would be oats, you may prefer something faster, like dextrose. Again, you'll have to fiddle with this.

Thank you. Thank all of you for you positive feedback, a HUGE thanks to Built. Who in the heck would think you are a man? Well, since posting up my pix, not so many... ;)
Built, I tossed the EAS bars, reclassified the peanuts as fat (OH, love dry roasted peanuts) and reworking the diet tonight. Iím going to try the fitday site. This is a little more difficult than I thought.
Look around you. If it was simple, EVERYBODY would be huge and ripped.

I tossed the Yoplait because of the high frutose corn syrup. I preach against this stuff all the time at work (Menís Health Mag). However, I kept the plain non-fat yogurt. I see nothing bad it except a mystery ingredient ďmodified gelatinĒ. I googling this when Iím finished here. You're fine with the plain yogurt, so long as it fits in with your calories/macros. :)

Drew, if Built told me to dance naked in the streets I would. If she told me to eat asparagus, the only vegetable I hate, I would try. I LOVE it!

Boxingtigger, I have a Juiceman. I guess Iíll have to concoct my own V-8 juice. It was low sodium, by the way. Iím off to GNC tomorrow to find the Isopure Zero Crab whey protein. And I have Quaker Old Fashion Oats in the panty. I use it instead of bead crumbs in meatloaf, 98% lean.
I find sodium to be quite anabolic, especially during a cut. Yes, you'll hold a little WATER. But that water can help your muscle cells grow. Water isn't fat. My personal opinion is that if your V-8 fits with your calories and macros, keep it in. The only time you need to worry about the sodium thing is if you have high blood pressure, or just before a contest where you need to dry out.
My .02

Callahan, I grew up Southern Baptist and on a dairy farm. I know about backsliding J. Iíll keep getting back up this horse. After I learn how to eat, I should have a problem with the diet. The belly you see is from beer and fast food because I havenít taken time to cook and think about what is going in my mouth. I didnít have a cigarette today!

Guido, J Iím following the Bill Phillipís routine for the first 12 weeks. Like the diet, changeable if needed. The legs and back will get weights also. In addition, my kitchen is full of ďWhat a Body Builder EatsĒ. I threw out all of the refined sugar and starches I could find yesterday. I may need to tweak a little more.

Iím going to start the online journal sometime this week. The hardest thing about the workout today was trying to discover what I could lift and when. The 15lb db was light to start with, but after 8 reps (which I didnít complete) became pretty heavy. Itís the science of discovery. I felt like a wussÖ.but a determined wuss.

I worked out at lunch today instead of after work. Iíll set the alarm to get up in the morning. Work out change # 1.

Once againÖthank you all. This is the best website I have found. I canít wait to post a follow up pic in twelve weeks. Bless you all.

Best of luck.

:)

pinky8713
06-13-2005, 07:36 PM
yeah...what built said. :D

drew
06-13-2005, 08:26 PM
mmmm, asparagus. Makes your pee smell funny. That's reason enough to eat it.