PDA

View Full Version : almost there...

kad
06-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Welcome to my cutting journal. If you want a little bit more background info, check out my thread in the new member's section. I'll get right down to business here.

current stats
height: 5'10"
weight: 181 lbs
body fat: ~15%

current fat weight: 27.15 lbs
current lean weight: 153.85 lbs

goals
goal body fat: 8%

goal fat weight: 13.378 lbs
goal lean weight: 153.85 lbs
goal total weight: 167 lbs

27.15 lbs - 13.38 lbs = 13.77 lbs

At a fat loss rate of 2 lbs a week, this puts me at my goal by Saturday, July 30, 2005.

My bodybuilding goals are not mass, but strength and speed.

nutrition
The idea here is a completely clean 2000 calorie 40/40/20 p/c/f cutting diet. I only allow myself one cheat meal a week on Saturdays. Here's what my daily diet looks like:

meal 1: 1 cup egg beaters, 1 cup old fashioned oats, 8oz OJ, 12g kent nutrition glutamine peptide powder
meal 2: 8 oz chicken breast, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 10 mini pretzels
meal 3: 6 oz can starkist tuna, 1 oz jack link's beef jerky, 1 oz almonds
meal 4: 8 oz chicken breast, 1/4 cup brown rice, 2-3 cups vegetables
meal 5: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 tbsp natty pb, 2 slices whole wheat bread

totals: 1986 cals, 44g fat, 196g carbs, 203g protein
protein: 40.80% carbs: 39.49% fat: 19.72%

I like to spread my nutrients throughout the whole day so my body has a constant supply of energy. The only difference on lifting days is a post workout shake consisting of 46g dex (don't buy AST dex, big ripoff) and 24g whey protein (All The Whey).

supplements
AST MultiPro 32x multivitamin
vitamin C capsules
AtLarge Nutrition ETS
AllTheWhey chocolate whey isolate

edit: forgot to list ATW initially, and I stopped taking fiber

Feel free to pick apart my diet if anything's obviously wrong with it. I'll get into detail with my lifting routine in my next post.

kad
06-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Lately I've been frustrated with my lifting routine and progress. I was looking into all these different routines and advanced programs (such as Max-OT), but I realized that I need to just get back to the basics and use as many basic, compound exercises with free weights as possible. So, I browsed around ExRx.net and came up with the following workout.

The idea here is a 3 day split:
Monday: pull exercises (back/biceps/medial delts)
Tuesday: fasted cardio, 45 minutes (stationary bike)
Wednesday: legs/abs
Thursday: fasted cardio, 45 minutes (stationary bike)
Friday: push exercises (chest/triceps/anterior delts)
Saturday: fasted cardio, 45 mintues (stationary bike)
Sunday: core exercises using swiss ball

pull workout
chin-ups (2 x failure)
front close grip pull-downs (2 x 8-10)
db bent over rows (2 x 8-10)
bb shrugs (2 x 8-10)
bb upright rows (curl bar) (2 x 8-10)
bb curls (curl bar) (2 x 8-10)
db hammer curls (2 x 8-10)

push workout
bb flat bench press (2 x 8-10)
db incline bench press (2 x 8-10)
chest dips (2 x failure)
bb close grip bench press (2 x 8-10)
cable push-downs (2 x 8-10)
seated bb military press (2 x 8-10)
db side lateral raises (2 x 8-10)

legs & ab workout
squats (2 x 8-10)
45 degree leg press (2 x 8-10)
stiff leg deadlifts (2 x 8-10)
standing calf raises (2 x 8-10)
seated calf raises (2 x 8-10)
cable rope crunches (2 x 10-12)
weighted incline crunches (2 x 10-12)

Warming up consists of running a lap around the track and stretching for 5-10 minutes.

There's my routine. Let me know what you think.

kad
06-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Week 1 of 7
5-13-05

workout log
front cable pulldowns: 80x15, 80x15, 80x15, 120x10, 130x8
close grip pulldowns: 110x10, 110x8
seated cable rows: 80x12, 100x10, 120x8
bb shrugs: 95x12, 105x10, 115x8
bb upright rows: 45x12, 65x10, 70x8 (used straight bar)
bb curls: 45x12, 55x5, 55x5 (used straight bar)

nutrition
meal 1: 1c oats, 1c egg beaters, 2pc WW bread, 8oz OJ, 12g glutamine
meal 2: 8oz skim milk, 1 scoop whey
pwo shake: 46g dex, 24g whey
meal 3: chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice
meal 4: 6oz can tuna, 1 oz almonds
meal 5: chicken breast, 2 cups broccoli
meal 6: 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1.5 tbsp natty pb

water: 5 liters

sleep: 5.5 hours

notes
Worked the morning shift at the fitness center from 6am-10am, and worked out immediately after. I was pretty exhausted from lack of sleep last night. My body is not used to going to bed before 11pm yet. Luckily I only work the 6-10 shift once a week (usually on Mondays). The meal plan was slightly off today beacuse I changed a few things before I posted it in the previous post. The rest of the week it will be consisted with what's posted there. I'm going to try to get at least 7 hours of sleep tonight so I don't fall off the bike in the morning.

Built
06-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey there

Your calories look very low for a man your size - I'm cutting on what you're cutting on, and I'm a middle-aged woman whom you outweigh by almost 50 lbs.

Why are you trying to drop so fast? 2 lbs a week is a lot.

Also, you might find you do better on slightly higher fats and slightly lower carbs for a cut, although everyone seems to be different in this regard. I would suggest dropping the OJ for a cutter no matter which way you choose to go - if you want to eat fruit, eat fruit. OJ is a very concentrated source of sugar, in particular fructose, something that may interfere with your fat loss goals at this point.

If you do decide to increase your fats a bit, I might suggest starting with fish oil for the omega 3. I take 10 g daily, a man your size may even do well with more. Healthy fats can actually help you drop fat; they are satisfying, and help with endocrine (read: testosterone production, saturated fat helps in this regard) and immune function.

Best of luck with your continuing success. :)

kad
06-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Hey there

Your calories look very low for a man your size - I'm cutting on what you're cutting on, and I'm a middle-aged woman whom you outweigh by almost 50 lbs.

Why are you trying to drop so fast? 2 lbs a week is a lot.
I agree with you, I guess I'll bump my calories up to 2200. I'll probably burn it off with all the cardio I'm doing anyway.

Also, you might find you do better on slightly higher fats and slightly lower carbs for a cut, although everyone seems to be different in this regard. I would suggest dropping the OJ for a cutter no matter which way you choose to go - if you want to eat fruit, eat fruit. OJ is a very concentrated source of sugar, in particular fructose, something that may interfere with your fat loss goals at this point.
I will drop the OJ for the rest of my cut. The only reason I was drinking it was because I had some left over from slacking off a bit in June and I've been taking the glutamine powder with it (that stuff is nasty). I guess I'll shelve the glutamine for the remainder of my cut as well in that case. I'm also going to swap the cottage cheese for a scoop of whey (same amount of protein, 24g), because I don't need a sugar spike that late in the day to impede my fat loss.

If you do decide to increase your fats a bit, I might suggest starting with fish oil for the omega 3. I take 10 g daily, a man your size may even do well with more. Healthy fats can actually help you drop fat; they are satisfying, and help with endocrine (read: testosterone production, saturated fat helps in this regard) and immune function.
I totally agree with you here, and try to get as much of my fat as possible from healthy fats. Since I'm increasing my fat intake by going to 2200 cals a day, I'll supplement with the flax oil I already have.

Best of luck with your continuing success. :)
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to make some changes in my diet, and try to move all my carbs to the morning and early afternoon and just have protein+fat meals the rest of the day. I've read that this is optimal for fat loss - correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to concentrate my diet around protein - get at least 1.2x my body weight in protein, or about 220g per day. I will keep the carbs low, and try to get no more than my body weight in carbs (about 180g). I'll also increase the fat to about 50-55g per day and make up for the difference with flax oil. I'll post again later today when I update my log for today.

Built
06-14-2005, 06:18 PM
What time of day do you train?

Cottage cheese at bedtime is ideal - nice slow protein, and a better choice for bedtime than the fast protein whey IMHO. I have cottage cheese before I go to bed every night.

kad
06-14-2005, 07:41 PM
What time of day do you train?

Cottage cheese at bedtime is ideal - nice slow protein, and a better choice for bedtime than the fast protein whey IMHO. I have cottage cheese before I go to bed every night.
I've done a little work on my diet.

Here's what it looks like for non lifting (cardio) days:

meal 1: 1c egg beaters, 24g whey, 2T natty pb, 1c oats, 2pc ww bread
meal 2: 8oz chicken breast, 1/2c long grain brown rice
meal 3: 7oz tuna packet, 1oz almonds
meal 4: 8oz chicken breast, 1T flax oil, 2-3 cups vegetables
meal 5: 24g whey, 2T natty pb

I do my lifting about an hour after meal 1 and have a pwo shake of 46g dex + 24g whey immediately after, so I really get 6 meals on lifting days. I wait about an hour after that for meal 2, then space meals 3 hours apart for the rest of the day. I concentrated my diet around protein, making sure I get a constant flow of protein all day long. I centered carbs in the morning hours around my workouts, and spaced fat intake evenly through the day as well (except immediately after workout). I'm still perfecting the diet, and I'm by no means an expert, so continue to critique it where necessary.

totals (non lifting days): 2236 cals, 78g fat, 162g carbs, 222g protein
percent: 31.30% fat, 28.98% carbs, 39.72% protein

totals (lifting days): 2520 cals, 78g fat, 209g carbs, 246g protein
percent: 27.77% fat, 33.18% carbs, 39.05% protein

2200 and 2500 cals are still a caloric deficit (my maintenance is 3000 cals), so I'm going to be burning fat either way. I'm considering switching to HIIT cardio on cardio days, which means I'll move my cardio sessions after breakfast instead of first thing in the morning. More on that later when I decide what to do.

Built
06-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Sounds like you're finding your groove. Cals are still quite low, but I think you'll be fine so long as you toss in a refeed meal once a week or a refeed day every couple/three weeks. I aim for an extra 1000 or so calories on a refeed day - no real upper limit.

Good luck. :)

kad
06-15-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm going to try to get more sleep tonight, and hit the HIIT cardio really hard tomorrow morning about an hour after breakfast. I've done HIIT a couple of times before, so I know I can handle it. I think I'm going to start doing sprints tomorrow. Something like a warmup jog for a minute, stretch, then start doing 30 second jog/sprint intervals for as long as I can keep it up, then a few minutes of cool down jogging and stretching afterwards. I'll report back after my first sprint session tomorrow. :thumbup:

kad
06-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Hmm... I'll be out of ETS at the end of the week, and I don't have the funds to buy any more right now, which sucks. I've got a little less than half this 5lb container of ATW whey left, and about half the container of AST dextrose left. When I run out of whey I'm going to get some Nitrean, and when I run out of the AST dex I'm going to buy a 10lb bag of dex from Kent Nutrition for about $10. The AST dex was a huge ripoff. Their products are a little too pricey anyway IMO. I'll probably switch back to AtLarge's MultiPlus when I run out of the MultiPro 32x. You hear that Chris? I might be making another purchase soon. ;)

ZDrax
06-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey! We all have practically the same goal date :). We'll have to compare results. You should check out my journal (it's in my sig.) I like seeing you've bumped up your caloric intake. I'm a firm believer in body adaptation induced by a proper synergism of resistance training, cardio, and nutrition. I don't understand how some individuals can go into insanely hypocaloric diets - I hate feeling "weak" in the gym and would much rather up my energy expenditure and keep my metabolic rate high.

A couple of refinements that you may want to make. On non-lifting days, try limiting your carb sources to whole foods (fruits + veggies). I find this really helps expedite fat loss. And while this is anecdotal, it seems to me that processed (even if it is whole grain) carb sources tend to slow the overall cutting regime.

kad
06-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey, cool. I'll definitely post pics and stats when I'm done with my cut. I agree with you on limiting carb sources on non lifting days, and yes, I certainly try to eliminate processed carbs out of my diet, which is why I use the non-instant brown rice, old fashioned oats, and whole wheat bread. I'm going to add cottage cheese back in the diet for some slower protein in the evenings, and some in the mornings as well, and see if that has a positive effect.

ZDrax
06-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Nice. I've found such things are in fact okay in your diet so long as they don't provide the majority of your carbs in a day. Even rice, oats, and bread are highly acidic - vegetables and fruits provide an excellent "basic" counterbalance to the acidity found in meats. Keeping your diet akaline will stave off some of the negative effects of low grade acidosis (muscle wasting, bone loss, and altered hormonal profile that induces quasi hypothyrodic effects). I figure when cutting, I want all of the odds stacked in my favor.

PS - Obviously PWO the fruit/veggies thing isn't of great concern.

kad
06-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been slacking off on my veggie intake this week, but I'm going to try to add as much as I can back in... broccoli with dinner, salad with lunch, etc. I read John Berardi's article on the acidity of the food you eat in the Essential Berardi article collection a while back, and it all made sense, I just haven't really tried to do much about it yet. I'm working on it though. I'm still reading and learning tons every day.

kad
06-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Just got back from doing sprints at the football field track. Holy crap, I'm exhausted. More so than if I just got through running a mile or two. I didn't have a stopwatch, so I just jogged a warmup lap and started on the goal line and did 100 yard sprints. I sprinted 100 yards, turned around and jogged back to where I started, rested a few seconds to catch my breath, and did it again. I got through 3 all out sprints, and I was gasping for air by the end of the third one, like I had been under water for too long. I seriously thought I was going to hyperventilate or something, but I was ok. I was trying to push myself to go for 5 sprints, but I was completely spent after 4. I'm trying to work myself up to 10 full out 100 yard sprints this way. Then I'm going to start doing sprints on the stadium steps with the same goal. This should be fun.

kad
06-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Ok... I have been feeling like crap all day today. Apparently I haven't been drinking enough water the last couple of days, so my kidneys were sore today, probably because they're overworked. It's like they're saying 'We hate you, don't eat 220g of protein without giving us enough water you fool'. I've somewhat fixed that by having nearly a gallon of water so far today, but my stomach is a wreck. I've been on the toilet all freaking day long and my stomach hurts like crap. My last cheat day sucked (food wise), and so I haven't had a good refeed in a while, so i'm going to eat 3000 cals (my maintenance) at 40/40/20 p/c/f for the rest of the week and this weekend and let my body readjust itself, then I'm going to make some slight changes to my diet and slow the cut down. I'll drop down to 2800 next week, then 2600 the following week, etc. I probably won't go below 2600 for a while depending on how my progress is after that, and I'll probably keep the 40/40/20 split going. I'll get to my goal eventually.

kad
06-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Ah, another change of plans. My roommate had some Immodium AD, so I took some and I'm feeling better already. I think my stomach was messed up because I had too many P+F meals in a row yesterday, so I'm going to try something new... alternate p+f and p+c throughout the day. I don't really need to refeed on 3000 cals for the next 3 days, but I will try to jump back up to 2400 or so. Having all my carbs in the morning and then nothing past 12 noon was not very good for me. I need a more constant supply of energy than that. I've been feeling sort of frustrated for the last two weeks, switching between routines and not getting the results I wanted fast enough since I've been stuck just above 180 for what seems like forever. I'm just going to slightly increase my calorie intake, stick to my push/pull/leg routine, and switch back to the stationary bike for some 45 minute cardio sessions 3x per week. I need to just find my groove and stay in it. Now that I'm feeling better I feel more like staying in the game than I was a few hours ago. So it's back to cutting land I go.

debussy
06-16-2005, 04:36 PM
damn i agree with bult, your cals are way too low. 180lbs at 5'10"? I'm 5'8" 180lbs and I would be bulking if I were you... especially if you are looking for strength and speed gains. there are better ways to go about this. Go to drsquat.com and read up... try out their zig-zag diet... and get your routine worked out over there. your routine is way too bodybuilding for you to gain strength and speed.

kad
06-17-2005, 08:35 AM
debussy, yeah i know what you mean. i'm not trying to bulk though, just maintain my mass and strength and cut my body fat down to 8 or 9%. i have built/toned/hardened or whatever little bit of muscle, just because i'm still in the newbie phase. at any rate i'll probably stop updating this journal for now and just contribute elsewhere on the boards, because it turned out to be not much of a journal after all in the way i intended it. thanks for the suggestions guys, good luck with your goals.

ZDrax
06-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I really like upping my activity levels and eating cleaner foods rather than dropping my calories super low, except for say the last week or so. Keep up with the sprints - I find they're a godsend in achieving a cut physique. Also, good call on adding some more P+C back into your diet. Low-carb diets don't work for everyone.