PDA

View Full Version : Spotters who "spot" you too much!

jostrichm
06-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Long story short I asked a guy to spot me on bench, to give me a lift-off then WATCH me in case I couldn't get my last one or two. I was doing 225 which I normally get for 8, but wanted to try 10...so I wanted someone there just to be safe. The guy goes "going for your one rep max huh?" "Uhhh, no. I usually get this for 8." He just chuckles like he doesn't believe me. He helps me off and keeps his hands on the bar the entire time, basically squatting behind me and following my movement. He wasn't really lifting any weight, just moving with me! WTF. I wanted to scream "DON'T TOUCH THE BAR!" but I really hate talking during a set because it screws up my concentration. Although having him standing there also screwed me up...I racked the weight after 6 and walked away pissed. He goes "wow, I didn't think you'd get more than 3." F&*# you!

Wannabelean
06-14-2005, 07:46 AM
hahahahaahhaa, that's funny man.. Yeah, that sounds annoying as ****. I don't like when people spot touching the bar the whole time. I also don't like when they just yank the weight up as soon as I struggle a little bit.

drew
06-14-2005, 07:49 AM
I'm very particular about who I'll ask to spot. I always instruct them to not touch the bar at all unless I give them a signal to do so (nod the head or just say something).

KevinStarke
06-14-2005, 07:50 AM
exactly, i tell them the safety word is "Sh*T".

HardToSquat
06-14-2005, 09:47 AM
I never use a spotter for some of the reasons mentioned. Also, one dude was spotting me on the bench once time and he was standing right over my head and I almost got teabagged inthe forehead. Talk about loosing your concentration. I now use dumbbells for my benching so there is no need yet for a spotter until I get into the 100+lb dumbbells.

Max-Mex
06-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Long story short I asked a guy to spot me on bench, to give me a lift-off then WATCH me in case I couldn't get my last one or two. I was doing 225 which I normally get for 8, but wanted to try 10...so I wanted someone there just to be safe. The guy goes "going for your one rep max huh?" "Uhhh, no. I usually get this for 8." He just chuckles like he doesn't believe me. He helps me off and keeps his hands on the bar the entire time, basically squatting behind me and following my movement. He wasn't really lifting any weight, just moving with me! WTF. I wanted to scream "DON'T TOUCH THE BAR!" but I really hate talking during a set because it screws up my concentration. Although having him standing there also screwed me up...I racked the weight after 6 and walked away pissed. He goes "wow, I didn't think you'd get more than 3." F&*# you!

If you don't give them SPECIFIC instructions, then it's your fault. If I ever get a spotter, I tell them EXACTLY what to do. 99% of the time, they follow it to a T.

Drai's
06-14-2005, 09:53 AM
The guy goes "going for your one rep max huh?" "Uhhh, no. I usually get this for 8." He just chuckles like he doesn't believe me.

That means you're not big enough :D.

He helps me off and keeps his hands on the bar the entire time, basically squatting behind me and following my movement. He wasn't really lifting any weight, just moving with me! WTF. I wanted to scream "DON'T TOUCH THE BAR!" but I really hate talking during a set because it screws up my concentration.

When getting someone new to spot you a) select one of the more "credible" looking guys in the gym, b) instruct him on exactly how you want to be spotted, and c) pray he's not a dumbass and actually listens to your instructions. Half the time the guy will still mess things up, but doing a) and b) improve your chances of getting a decent spot.

Gutz981
06-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Lol kevin yeah dude The safty word is usually Shi t or Fuc k!

WBBIRL
06-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Same here, I was guitly of this once and the guys like hey you gotta let me fight with it dont just yank it up when I have trouble. The next time I spotted him I was like ok, just say whenever your done if you dont get it.

KevinStarke
06-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Communication people communication

SW
06-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Just another arrogant ****. I'm blessed with good spotters :)

D Breyer
06-14-2005, 01:33 PM
when you give the spotters instructions... what do you tell them?

drew
06-14-2005, 01:45 PM
I tell a spotter what I'm doing first off, how many reps, and if and when I want him to touch the bar.

Drai's
06-14-2005, 01:59 PM

that would depend on what you want, now wouldn't it? ;)

Sensei
06-14-2005, 02:38 PM

Before you start, tell them:
1)when you want them to jump in ("Don't help unless I ask." "If the bar stops moving...", "If the bar speed slows significantly...", etc.)

2)How you want them to spot - for example, if they are spotting on DB presses, do you want them to grab your wrists, or spot at the elbows?

3)How much you want them to help - just enough to get through? enough to maintain momentum? help as much as possible?

Unholy
06-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Yup, a lifting partner solves all of these problems :D

manowar669
06-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Lifting partners/spotters are like dogs. In your lifetime, you get one really good one, the rest aren't worth a damn.

MnM
06-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Dam what a dick saying you couldn't lift the weight!