PDA

View Full Version : Outside influence on your cut/bulk

Junin
06-16-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm sitting here at work. It's 10:30. I've already been lectured by four different people to stop losing weight. "You're too skinny already.", "You're obsessed. You're a fitness fanatic." They think I'm sticking my foot into that quicksand called anorexia.

I have fat on me. Got a little pouch of fat on my belly. Got a little fat on my chest. To me, I'm nowhere close to being done cutting.

I blew it off when they first started telling me to stop 10 lbs ago. They are getting insistent, almost angry at me. I don't force my diet or my opinions on them, so what should they care?

Where do you stop your cut? Where is "lean enough"? I ask this every time I sit down to my can of Starkist.

Edit for my stats:
6ft tall
167 lbs
32in waist
I really don't know what my bodyfat % is. The online ones that compute it using your waist size and weight say 12%, but that's bull****. Other than that, I'm pretty sure its less than 20%.

For Drai: I am not a scrawny looking guy. My wrists are pretty small, though. They might get the impression that I'm smaller than I am because I'm wearing a dress shirt with a tie every day.

pinky8713
06-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Just curious, what's your height/weight/bodyfat?

Drai's
06-16-2005, 09:58 AM
1) Co-workers don't like to see you dieting because it reminds them that they probably should be.

2) It's possible that you don't have very much muscle on you (I don't know), which would make you look quite skinny in clothes even if you have a bit of a belly.

3) "Lean enough" varies with the individual. I think the leaner you are naturally, the leaner this becomes. A lot of my former skinny friends (who now workout and have some pretty good size on them) say they're getting "messy" when they're probably leaner than I'd be at the end of a cut.

Unreal
06-16-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm getting the same thing. People telling me that I've lost enough weight, and need to start eating again. I went from 285 to 205lb now. I still see myself as fat, but maybe its mental. I'm 6'2". No idea on BF%, how to measure, or where to go to get it measured. I still have a gut, even though I'm fairly muscular. My original goal was 220, now its 200, but odds are I won't stop at 200. 190 is sounding good, but I'll just have to see what I look like at that point.

Drai's
06-16-2005, 11:31 AM
For both of you guys the biggest thing is that people at work see you in clothes (or at least I hope so ;) ). There's a difference between being skinny and being lean. Co-workers only focus on size, not bodyfat.

Unreal
06-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Whats funny is I just started a new job and they never saw me while I was fat. They just see me now eating my salad/tuna for lunch as they pack down pizza and microwave burritos and keep bugging me asking me why I eat like this, and why I'm trying to lose weight.

Drai's
06-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Whats funny is I just started a new job and they never saw me while I was fat. They just see me now eating my salad/tuna for lunch as they pack down pizza and microwave burritos and keep bugging me asking me why I eat like this, and why I'm trying to lose weight.

Don't worry, happens to all of us. It doesn't take much to keep me focused though. I look around the office I'm working at for the summer and I'm easily the most muscular guy AND leanest too (and the lean part is NOT saying much for everyone else, lol).

ryuage
06-16-2005, 12:20 PM
you stop cutting when you want to stop cutting

Drai's
06-16-2005, 12:33 PM
For Drai: I am not a scrawny looking guy. My wrists are pretty small, though. They might get the impression that I'm smaller than I am because I'm wearing a dress shirt with a tie every day.

By no means do I mean this to be offensive, but I don't see any possible way you wouldn't look skinny at 6' 167lbs...even if you were like 4% bodyfat.

I'm an inch shorter and outweigh you by about 55-60 lbs. I don't look skinny in a dress shirt and tie, but I don't look "big" either.

Lurch
06-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Jealousy!

I have people constantly doing this to me as well. They just don't understand for the most part. A lot of them will try to "diet" but will fail, I think they hate to see someone else succeed in a way. Either that or its a poorly worded compliment.

Drai's
06-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Jealousy!

I have people constantly doing this to me as well. They just don't understand for the most part. A lot of them will try to "diet" but will fail, I think they hate to see someone else succeed in a way.

Exactly. People also don't like seeing you eat all those healthy things because they'd like to keep the dream alive that they can build a body as impressive as yours by eating all the $#@% they like to.

Guido
06-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Exactly. People also don't like seeing you eat all those healthy things because they'd like to keep the dream alive that they can build a body as impressive as yours by eating all the $#@% they like to.Agreed. People just f*cking LOVE denial.

J450n
06-16-2005, 02:38 PM
I gave up a long time ago, trying to explain to people around me (friends, family, esp work) why i eat so much turkey/chicken/eggs etc day-in day out. But I don't preach. I don't 'put upon' people.

Explaining the purpose of eating said foods, at certain times, certain amounts, on certain days, what the purpose of a magical protein drink was, why i don't eat cetain foods, why 'so much' water, why the multi-vits and other 'pill's, it just gets boring and 'they' never get it, it never goes in. It's a pointless waste of time trying.

Plus i don't particularly care whether they understand or not, be it ignorance or just stupidity.

YungLifter
06-16-2005, 03:11 PM
It's not to hard for me because alot of times when I go out to eat with friends its usually to like blimpie and that's not a bad place to eat at compared to other places. The thing is dairy queen is right next door lol.

Bruise Brubaker
06-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Tell them you're cutting so much so you can gain even more weight after.

Woodward
06-16-2005, 03:23 PM
This thread sounds exactly like my life. Same B.S. at work, 'Tuna again?' Good I'm not the only wierdo obsessed like this.

Stupendous
06-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I was eating tuna from a can and a co-worker asked if I was eating catfood haha.

WBBIRL
06-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Heh, Well you should bulk once you get your fat to where you feel it should be. And then in about a year and a half, ask them to go swimming and watch their mouths drop.

I just found out about a week ago that I will be going to cancun the summer of 2007. I weigh right now about 300lbs, with a fair ammount of muscle. I plan on dropping down to about 230lbs and then bulking back up to about 240 by then.

wrestlemaniac
06-16-2005, 10:45 PM
I get this a ****ing lot. All my fat out of shape beer drinking friends offer me advice on "how to get big" (because I lift weights so thats obviously my goal). No matter how many times I explain what a "cut cycle" is they just don't understand and tell me I need to "stop eating healthy". It's gotten so bad that I've actually straight up said that they were stupid to their face (because I've told them time and time again that I'm not bulking right now and they still CONTINUE to try to force me to drink beer and eat fast food and be like them and despence their "expert" advice on whats wrong with my body and what I should do to improve it). Then I tell them again that I'm cutting and they or I'm trying to lose weight and they say "well, eating a little pizza and beer will help you put on some mass". This is about where I start using words like "stupid" or "not sinking in".

WBBIRL
06-17-2005, 12:02 AM
All I have to say is that results dont lie.