PDA

View Full Version : is my diet in check?

kad
06-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Hey all. In case you haven't been reading my journal, I've hit a plateau in my cut, and I've kinda been slacking off for the last couple of weeks. I'm trying to reorganize myself and get more serious about things, and I'd like to know what you all think about my diet plan. I'm 5'10, 181 lbs, and BMR calculations yield roughly 3000 cals as my maintenance limit. The plan is 2400 cals a day with a 40%/40%/20% macronutrient split. Let me know what you think.

Meals (in order from 1-6):
P+C P+F P+C P+F P+C P+F

meal 1: 1c oats, 1c egg beaters, 2pc WW bread
meal 2: 1/2c cottage cheese, 1T natty pb
meal 3: 8oz chicken breast, 1/2c brown rice
meal 4: 7oz tuna packet, 1oz almonds
meal 5: 8oz chicken breast, 1/2c brown rice
meal 6: 2 scoops whey, 1.5T natty pb

The above in my spreadsheet comes to 2394 cals, 54g fat, 238g carbs, and 240g protein. That's 20.21% fat, 39.69% carbs, 40.10% protein, nearly a perfect target. I'm not counting proteins from grains or vegetables (I don't even count vegetables in the total at all) since I've heard they're unused by the body (correct me if I'm wrong), or from the almonds (but I do count PB).

On lifting days, I will be training between meals 2 and 3, or between meals 4 and 5. In either case, meal 3 or 5 (whichever follows workout) will be replaced by a protein shake of 2:1 dex:whey (timed immediately PWO) with roughly equivalent macros to the meal they replace. On cardio days, I plan on doing fasted cardio before meal 1. Thanks for your suggestions.

Stray
06-16-2005, 06:32 PM
You're diet is on point dude - maybe just drop cals by 100-200 per week until you see the weightloss you're aiming for.

Cutting is a bitch and you will hit plateaus - just keep at it.

Any thermogenics involved? If not have ya thought about introducing some?

kad
06-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the response, it's good to know I'm finally getting back in the groove here. I haven't really thought of thermogenics, and haven't researched them much. I don't really know anything about them other than they make your body burn calories when it wouldn't normally be, or something along those lines. What would be the best place to start there?

Edit: I just read this (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=52110) thread about Thermocin and ThermoRexin. I think I might give thermocin a try when I get some spare cash.

Built
06-16-2005, 06:54 PM
My personal opinion is that for a cut, you might do better with your fats higher and your carbs lower. I find it too damned hard to control my appetite on higher carbs and lower fat, although some are perfectly fine with this approach.

You can have a look at my diet if you like. More than one way to do this. Mine's working great for me, for now anyway.

kad
06-16-2005, 07:01 PM
My personal opinion is that for a cut, you might do better with your fats higher and your carbs lower. I find it too damned hard to control my appetite on higher carbs and lower fat, although some are perfectly fine with this approach.

You can have a look at my diet if you like. More than one way to do this. Mine's working great for me, for now anyway.

I've been fine with the 40/40/20 approach since march. I just drink lots of water between meals to calm my appetite. :)

Built
06-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Cool. But you're stalled. And there's no particular reason why 40/40/20 is optimal. It's not an approach I would consider for myself. Fats are good for endocrine function. Carbs stimulate insulin, a storage hormone. Just something to consider.

kad
06-16-2005, 07:33 PM
Cool. But you're stalled. And there's no particular reason why 40/40/20 is optimal. It's not an approach I would consider for myself. Fats are good for endocrine function. Carbs stimulate insulin, a storage hormone. Just something to consider.
I didn't mean that 40/40/20 was optimal. I just meant that it's worked for me so far, and it's easier for me to manage my macros based on that particular target. I'm confident that I'll start seeing results now that I'm more serious about this. The biggest reason I've been stalled was I didn't go to the gym at all for 3 or so weeks at the end of april and first part of may, and my workouts were very inconsistant since then and I couldn't stick with a particular routine. I was being too relaxed with my diet also, but as I said, I'm a ton more serious and confident I can pull this off now. I will consider it though.

WBBIRL
06-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Diet seems pretty nice, now you just have to count them cals.

kad
06-17-2005, 07:11 AM
Well after thinking about it, I'm going with what Built said. It makes sense. It might be what I need to get past this plateau combined with my training. I'll make some changes and rework things around a 40/30/30 p/c/f split and see if that works for next week. Would alternating between 40/35/25 and 40/30/30 have any kind of an effect? (edit: on a weekly basis, not daily)

Thanks Built. :)

Built
06-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Well after thinking about it, I'm going with what Built said. It makes sense. It might be what I need to get past this plateau combined with my training. I'll make some changes and rework things around a 40/30/30 p/c/f split and see if that works for next week. Would alternating between 40/35/25 and 40/30/30 have any kind of an effect? (edit: on a weekly basis, not daily)

Thanks Built. :)

The alteration you suggest is not significant.

There is nothing worth paying attention to with the ratios.

The things that matter, in order, are as follow:

1. Set the calories you wish to consume, based on maintenance cals and the deficit you intend to run
2. Set the protein you wish to consume - anywhere from 1g/lb to 1.5+g/lb bodyweight if you're near goal (if you're really fat, use goal weight).
3. You may find it easier to control your appetite by targeting your starchy carbs to the meal right before and the meals after you lift
4. Use fats as a caloric ballast to make up the rest of your desired calories. I don't like them under 30% (for personal comfort - lower, and I'm too hungry), some folks seem to be fine with around 20%, but there's no upper limit to your good fat consumption. Among other reasons, fats are good for proper endocrine function and also for controlling appetite.

I generally make all my meals protein and fat, with the exception of the pre and post lifting meals, which are protein and starchy carb with very little fat to slow it down - it's the one time in my day when I'm happy about the fast insulin response.

My non-lifting days, I keep my cals as low as I can comfortably manage. I let the calories creep up as I increase the carbs on my lifting days. Protein and fat stay pretty much the same on all days - I pretty much use the carbs to cycle my calories up and down.

The ratios that this comes out to will vary from person to person. They're meaningless. Ignore them.