PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the extra buck?

YungLifter
06-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Normally I buy regular gallon of skim milk which is about $2.50-$3.00. Sometimes I buy Hoods carbcountdown milk which is a little over $3 for half a gallon. Heres the difference in nutrition info

Regular Skim milk - 1cup(8oz)
Cals:90/Fat:0g/Carbs:13g/Pro:9g

Hoods Carbcountdown Skim Milk - 1cup(8oz)
Cals:70/Fat:0g/Carbs3g/Pro:12g

Is it worth the extra buck?

Bruise Brubaker
06-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Well, it looks like a damn good protein source. All the goodness of milk with about no fat and very little carbs.

It depends of you at the end, but lactose is a sugar and is hard to digest for many people. This alone could be worth the difference.

Personally I recently began to "pre-digest" my milk with kefir grains, very healthy.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Bruise Brubaker
06-17-2005, 05:45 PM
I read too fast, that's more than twice the price!

Drink milk in moderation and eat lowfat cottage cheese instead.

smalls
06-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah, twice as much money for what purpose? Do you have a problem digesting lactose, are you on a very low calorie carb restricted diet? If not then save a ****load of money and drink regular milk. I drink 1.5 gallons a day when bulking and have no problems. The carbs are half the reason I drink it, why would you want to cut them out if you trying to add muscle/strength.

YungLifter
06-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Arn't you suppose to get most of your carbs in your prewo meal and postwo meal? I will be bulking so should I be getting carbs through out whole day? I didn't know if the carbs from milk were so good because they all come from sugar. I will be buying just regular milk thought.

pinky8713
06-17-2005, 07:42 PM
I dunno but i'm bulking and i completely live off of vitamin d milk. :) Like 15 glasses a day. lol

D Breyer
06-17-2005, 07:48 PM
its only three bucks differance dude... i don't think that small of a differance in price makes enough of a differance to stop buying the better stuff.

YungLifter
06-17-2005, 07:52 PM
3 bucks can really start to add up when you drink good amount of milk hehe. If you look at it thought it's only 3 more grams of protein and 10 carbs or so difference not to much of a difference.

D Breyer
06-17-2005, 07:53 PM
you'd have to drink a TON of milk for 3 bucks to start adding up...

YungLifter
06-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Well lets say you drink 2gallons a WEEK.

Over just a 1year period of time...

Hood's carbcountdown milk would add up to $576 a year

Regular milk yould cost you about $280 a year

That's close to $300 difference.

D Breyer
06-17-2005, 08:05 PM
im sorry, you've proven your point.

YungLifter
06-17-2005, 08:08 PM
You are paying more but I guess you are getting more to you know. But you can use that money for something else that you might need.

pinky8713
06-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Yung, what's so bad about the 10 or however many extra carbs in the cheaper milk? It's not like you really need to worry about that...

I drink a gallon of milk a day, 7 a week. Add up what the difference of that would be haha

YungLifter
06-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Not really the carbs im worried about I just like getting more protein=)

pinky8713
06-17-2005, 08:23 PM
If i were you, i'd just go with the cheaper one. How much more protein is it again? Like 4grams or something? To me that's not a big deal...just chug more of the other milk. lol it'll give you more calories too

Shao-LiN
06-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Unless you are cutting utilizing a low carb'ish approach, then you could probably consider it. That way you get your dairy calcium source (which has been shown to help aid in fat loss), good amount of protein, and all the milk goodness =).

smalls
06-17-2005, 11:51 PM
its only three bucks differance dude... i don't think that small of a differance in price makes enough of a differance to stop buying the better stuff.

What makes it better?

I think the main problem with young guys lifting and trying to put on weight is they buy into the "eat clean, lots of protein and you get hyoooge" bull****. I have to eat 6000+ cals to gain weight and when I weight 170-200 I had to get in 4800+. Many of you are in the same category, get your carbs in, get your fat in. EAT there is no other way to grow.

pinky8713
06-18-2005, 12:22 AM
What makes it better?

I think the main problem with young guys lifting and trying to put on weight is they buy into the "eat clean, lots of protein and you get hyoooge" bull****. I have to eat 6000+ cals to gain weight and when I weight 170-200 I had to get in 4800+. Many of you are in the same category, get your carbs in, get your fat in. EAT there is no other way to grow.

Worrying about eating clean too much is a problem in lots of the scrawny kids i know. I have a 6 foot 3 inch friend who weighs 160lbs. He looks like he's dying or something and he is always making comments about how things are bad for you and will make him fat or something. It's rediculous.

I just wanna tell him that he looks like sh*t and to stfu and shove a pizza down his throat or something. lol

Luckily, i learned early, when i was a skinny bastard, to eat everything in sight and not care how much fat or carbs or whatever went in. If you're that skinny/tiny then you shouldn't worry about anything but eating everything that you can.

wrestlemaniac
06-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Normally I buy regular gallon of skim milk which is about $2.50-$3.00. Sometimes I buy Hoods carbcountdown milk which is a little over $3 for half a gallon. Heres the difference in nutrition info

Regular Skim milk - 1cup(8oz)
Cals:90/Fat:0g/Carbs:13g/Pro:9g

Hoods Carbcountdown Skim Milk - 1cup(8oz)
Cals:70/Fat:0g/Carbs3g/Pro:12g

Is it worth the extra buck?

1 (cup) * 16 (16 cups in a gallon) * 9(g of protien) / 3(dollars) = 48

1 (cup) * 8 (cups in half a gallon) * 12(g of protien) / 3(dollars) = 32

So there you have it. The Milk you're buying now gives you 48 grams of protien on the dollar and added carbs where as the other one gives you 32 grams of protien on the dollar and less carbs. If you're looking for less carbs go for the second but in terms of pure protien the one you have now is better (if you're bulking you shouldn't be looking to cut out carbs anyway, plus you said you don't care about the carbs you just wanted the extra protien from the other one - which I just proved it does not have).

Edit : oh, and you said the cheaper one is sometimes less than 3 dollars and the expensive one is more than 3 dollars so that should just push the margin of difference between them even further.

YungLifter
06-18-2005, 04:19 AM
Yeah Im going to stick with just regular one. I have another question on a bulk you should eat carbs through out the whole day or mostly around your workout?

smalls
06-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah Im going to stick with just regular one. I have another question on a bulk you should eat carbs through out the whole day or mostly around your workout?

It depends on how you react to carbs and your total caloric intake. I get carbs in pretty much every meal when bulking, my highest carb meals are usually around my workout though. But most other meals still have almost 100g of carbs.

Dedicated
06-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, twice as much money for what purpose? Do you have a problem digesting lactose, are you on a very low calorie carb restricted diet? If not then save a ****load of money and drink regular milk. I drink 1.5 gallons a day when bulking and have no problems. The carbs are half the reason I drink it, why would you want to cut them out if you trying to add muscle/strength.

I agree. I would just drink regular milk. If it was a choice between whole wheat or white bread then yea I think it makes a difference.

Dedicated
06-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Also drinking whole milk is better I think than skim milk. Milk has CLA in it, very little CLA, but it's better than none.

Milk's CLA content varies and can range from 2.5 up to 18 milligrams per gram of fat. The usual range is 4.5 to 5.5 mg (0.45 to 0.55 per cent). So, if milk is 3.5 per cent fat, then its CLA content is between 0.01 and 0.025 per cent.

Not to mention the benefits of the fats found in milk. Even saturated fat helps. I dunno, it just seems more natural to drink whole milk.

Bruise Brubaker
06-18-2005, 04:49 PM
The best would be fresh raw whole milk, straight from the goat!

YungLifter
06-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Hm never had goat milk. But when I go to portugal or brazil to visit my family, some of my family members have like cows and they take them to get milked everyday at some little milking factory type thing and bring home some fresh warm milk its yummy.

thetopdog
06-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Here's a simple solution, save your money and buy some whey with it, drink an extra protein shake a day and you'll be ahead of the game

YungLifter
06-18-2005, 06:59 PM
yeah I'll be able to buy some Nitrean with that extra money.

spencerjrus
06-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I dunno but i'm bulking and i completely live off of vitamin d milk. :) Like 15 glasses a day. lol

Milk makes you big.

Optimum08
06-19-2005, 08:33 PM
skim milk>vit d milk by far...but i would stay with the reg milk unless u are on a restricted carb diet etc...i don't think the "added benefits" are great enough to justify the added cost...

BG5150
06-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Simply: can you afford it?

AllUp
06-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Do you have a problem digesting lactose, are you on a very low calorie carb restricted diet? If not then save a ****load of money and drink regular milk..
Took the words right out of my mouth.. :D

AllUp
06-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Around the workout For-The-Win IMHO, most of them prior.