PDA

View Full Version : Apf/aapf Summer Bench Press Slam!!

Lil Mendy
06-17-2005, 09:37 PM
HEY EVERYONE JUST A REMINDER! THE NEW GYM'S FIRST ANNUAL BENCH PRESS SUMMER SLAM IS IN 29DAYS!! LONG ISLAND'S NEWEST HARDCORE GYM. PLEASE GET IN YOUR MEET APPLICATIONS ASAP!!! YOU CAN DOWNLOAD ONE FROM WWW.THENEWGYM.NET OR WWW.LENTV.NET

THIS IS GOING TO BE AN AMAZING EVENT!!! HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!!

Please get your applications in soon!!

SEE YOU ALL SOON.

Sensei
06-19-2005, 03:44 PM
How did you do at the APF Nats Shawna?

Lil Mendy
06-24-2005, 06:06 PM
I have to say, I did not do that great :(

I got my opener squat 562 they called me to the floor, my second they got my rack height wrong twice, and I got timed out. My third they me rushed to get set up, the bar was like on top of my neck, and I just got stuck, and timed out. So I wound up with 562 horrible joke weight I can practically do that raw.

Bench- Opener 325 smoke show, Second 350 had problems touching. I went out of groove to touch rolled the bar back and locked it out. They red lighted me. I have no idea why. Third 365 smoke show.

Deadlift- All my fault. This is my worst lift anyway. With me opening my new gym etc, etc... I really did not have that much time to train it. I also wore breifs under my suit which I normally do not do so I got all bound up. I should have just pulled in a singlet. Opener 401 smoked, Second 450 got called for hitching, third 450 again was just ugly.

I placed second which was a joke, and I totaled 1328. 27 pounds under my best total. Oh well I learned a lot, I did not bomb, but I really should have won that meet. Hey I got a 22lb pr in my bench!!! :)

My next meet will be Nov 12th. I am doing the Candy AZZ Classic in upstate ny. I will redeem myself.

Hey is it all a learning experience. The rest of my team did really well. Thanks for asking!!!

check out my new website!!

www.thenewgym.net

Sensei
06-24-2005, 06:29 PM
That gym (and website) looked fantastic! Is it a renovated garage? Good luck w. the new business! If I'm ever in the area, I'm going there for sure!

I think you said you got married recently (?). Is your husband the blonde guy that was your handler (sorry, I never caught his name) at the APF Iowa meet?

Anyway, congratulations on the PR and the new gym!

WBBIRL
06-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Thats one hell of a nice gym, and your freak (no offense). Your about 15% stronger then I am, and Im a guy, a big guy.

KevinStarke
06-24-2005, 07:14 PM
haha her bench puts both of us to shame... awesome gym! wish i was in that area

Lil Mendy
06-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Yes, I got married in Nov. We started working on the gym in Feb/March. It has been crazy!! His name is Lenny. He is the person who is my coach and my handler he is the person who was there in Iowa. I do not know what I would do without him. He is really great!! He lifts also. You have a great memory! He does not have blonde hair any more. It is all dark now LOl!! We took an old oil refuse and made it into a gym. We put a lot of work into it. We are very happy with the out come. We have been open for 5 days!! The weirdest thing is I can train when I want to now. I am not used to that LOl!!!

Lil Mendy
06-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Thats one hell of a nice gym, and your freak (no offense). Your about 15% stronger then I am, and Im a guy, a big guy.

No offense taken!! I am a Mendy!! I was made for this sport!! HAHAHA LOl!! Thanks for the compliment!! :)

WBBIRL
06-24-2005, 07:33 PM
It is a very nice place to train, ours is ****ty but its somthing. Your very strong, espcially the legs (even though you still bench more then me). Good luck with the gym... just out of curiousty how do the prices for memberships go????

Lil Mendy
06-24-2005, 08:06 PM
I used to train a at a gym that got ****ty. I was sick of being treated like crap because I was a powerlifter. Getting put in a corner that looked like a junk yard no AC etc.. and the owners treated you like crap rude. That is why I opened my own place. I could not take it anymore.

Granted powerlifting is not how I make my living. My living comes from personal training.

I have memberships set up for the powerlifters $50 per month, or $500 per year. My gym is prestine.

Oh and by the way. Your bench will go up in time just keep on benching and tweaking what you do.

My best gym lifts are:
660 squat- Meet 573
385 Bench- Meet 365
485 Deadlift- Meet 441

That is why my performance at the nationals was not what I hoped for. But I will make it up at my next meet. Always remember two things.
1. Anyone can lose on any given Sunday!! No matter how good you are!!
2. It does not matter where you start, it is how you finish!!

My 0.02 Thanks for the response!!

Shawna Mendelson

KevinStarke
06-24-2005, 08:24 PM
grrrr i wish i lived by your gym 500 year is outstanding compared to where i live. I live in good old fairfield county where fitness edge and southport racquet club rule the land, fricken 6-700 dollars a year. Your lifts are amazing, what weight class do you compete in

Lil Mendy
06-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah we have Ny sports club, Crunch,Synergy etc.. I wanted to make the rates reasonable for the powerlifters. I also give out real towels, and we have brand new huge bathrooms, with awesome showers. Everything is extra big because I needed everything to be wheelchair accessable. We have a brand new central AC system, and great equipment!! If you are ever on long island, come and check us out!!

I lift in the 181 weight class. I usually weigh in at around 176/177. I try to maintain the same weight off season. I really try not to cut weight it always screws me up. After every meet I go back training raw for about 8 weeks. So right now I am pretty light around 168/170.

need4muscle
06-24-2005, 09:16 PM
you weigh 170 and can squat 660?!? :bow: :bow: :bow:

twm
06-24-2005, 09:36 PM
your strength is incredible. very nice gym as well :)

WBBIRL
06-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Heh our gym is small, its probably 25 yards long by about 10 yards wide. There are almost no plates there either, when I legpress heavy I have to wait until Im the only one there. 10 plates is the vast majority of what we have down there. We have two benchs, a couple of bent bars (im guessing back before i joined there were people who could acutally squat and then bent the bars squatting), a DB set that goes from 5-100 missing the 85's and 95's.. both of the 60's and one of the 70's are bent badly from people who cant use them dropping them from about shoulder height. Lets see... the cardio machines are all bad in one way, the tracks are lose on the treadmills and if im on them more then half an hour I smell smoke, and ones been outa service for a year now. The cables on the pulley machine are getting weak and bear and every bench/seat is covered in electrical tape. Two small fans are the ventalation systyem.

Um... you charge 50 a month for powerlifters??? Im curious, do you make them pay differently depending on what style of lifting they do??? Or is your gym a powerlifters gym?? Thats more then I pay but the facility is a hell of a lot nicer, I pay 32 for ****... Ill post pics if i can ever get a digital camera.

Lil Mendy
06-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Heh our gym is small, its probably 25 yards long by about 10 yards wide. There are almost no plates there either, when I legpress heavy I have to wait until Im the only one there. 10 plates is the vast majority of what we have down there. We have two benchs, a couple of bent bars (im guessing back before i joined there were people who could acutally squat and then bent the bars squatting), a DB set that goes from 5-100 missing the 85's and 95's.. both of the 60's and one of the 70's are bent badly from people who cant use them dropping them from about shoulder height. Lets see... the cardio machines are all bad in one way, the tracks are lose on the treadmills and if im on them more then half an hour I smell smoke, and ones been outa service for a year now. The cables on the pulley machine are getting weak and bear and every bench/seat is covered in electrical tape. Two small fans are the ventalation systyem.

Um... you charge 50 a month for powerlifters??? Im curious, do you make them pay differently depending on what style of lifting they do??? Or is your gym a powerlifters gym?? Thats more then I pay but the facility is a hell of a lot nicer, I pay 32 for ****... Ill post pics if i can ever get a digital camera.

No I make them all pay the same. They can also pay me $10 per session. Which ever is easier. They can squat bench, deadlift, use all of the weights etc..

we have about 4,000lbs of free weights, 5-100lbs 0f dumbells, all brand new texas powerbars, 8 station cable cross over, two brand new forza super benches, Crepinsek Monolift Rack which is the super heavy duty one this thing is rated for over 2000lbs!! Has full band attchements, and chains it is a little wider for bigger sumo squatters. He have a hack squat/ leg press machine, inner and out abductor machines, rear delt pec dec machines all new cardio, ham/glute machine. We also have a boxing segment!! Two huge 150lbs Heavy Bags, gloves, Timer, speed bag etc..we have a pretty nice set up. It is worth money!!

Lil Mendy
06-25-2005, 09:10 AM

Where do you live???

WBBIRL
06-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I live in Pennyslvania, Cambria County

Mike G
06-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Sounds very comparable to the gym I work in. Big difference is that you embrace powerlifters and others just looking to get strong. We are more beginner oriented, which it also looks like you cover. Sounds like a great gym, like one I want to own in the future. Wish I lived closer, I would apply for a job. How have your sales been? I imagine pretty good. Very impressive lifts too. Good luck.

Lil Mendy
06-27-2005, 06:56 AM
Thank you!! We are doing pretty well. Because we do so many different things we offer boxing, powerlifting, and all the rest. People seem to be pretty impressed. My clients love the boxing piece. Our sales are pretty good so far. I do a lot of one on one training. He have only been open a week, and we are doing pretty well. If you are ever in the area, please come by and check it out.

WBBIRL
06-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Heh, I always wished our gym had boxing stuff.

PowerManDL
06-27-2005, 03:13 PM
My next meet will be Nov 12th. I am doing the Candy AZZ Classic in upstate ny. I will redeem myself.

Hey Shawna, I'm doing that one myself. See ya there :D

Lil Mendy
06-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Awesome!! Make sure you introduce yourself to me! Just make sure it is either before, or after I lift. I try to keep myself in my zone. You know how it is!! LOl!!!