PDA

View Full Version : Cardio and bulking

zlip14
06-18-2005, 07:57 PM
What should I do?

I play alot of tennis but I wanna bulk up, I was told this was a problem. I play tennis atleast 3 times a week for 1-1.5 hours.

I don't wanna be big I just wanna be cut. Someone did tell me that by lifting and playing tennis I should be able to gain the muscle while keeping off the fat... any validity to this???

Jorge Sanchez
06-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Bulking up and being cut are two different things, thus the terms 'bulking' and 'cutting'. So first of all you need to decide what your goal is.

But playing tennis is not antithetical to bulking up, it just means you have to eat a little bit more.

And playing tennis to gain muscle while simultaneously losing fat is not only difficult, but it is not going to work any better than a good diet. Both fat and muscle gains are a product of caloric excess (consuming more calories than you burn). So in order to minimize fat gains you just need to have a small enough caloric excess that allows for muscle growth while limiting fat gains. But playing tennis will mean that you can, and have to, eat more calories in a day because they get burned off playing tennis.

DNL
06-18-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't think this would be a problem if you eat a few more hundreds of calories to replace the calories burnt during your tennis sessions.

zlip14
06-18-2005, 08:23 PM
OK thanks

KevinStarke
06-18-2005, 11:19 PM
I run and lift, just gotta make sure you eat plenty