PDA

View Full Version : How to increase caloric intake during a clean bulk

ianack4life
06-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Background info; 19 year old male, height - 5'8, weight ~150lbs ... bulked up to 165 but put on almost entirely fat, lifting 3-4 years seriously, watches diet but isn't currently counting calories. Seriously lifts 3x + a week on a basic chest/tri, back/bi, legs workout split.

In my current state, I've tried to cut back volume because I'm a serious hardgainer. I have a difficult time increasing weights week after week AND eating a large amount of clean food. i.e., I can eat a ton of food but for some reason 1 chicken breast fills me up quickly and takes quite awhile to eat (I'm the slowest eater ever :zipit: )

As you see in the background info I was up to 165lbs during a bulk that I went on before but during that bulk I put on far too much fat. I figure I didn't handle the carbs well especially not the starchy carbs like wheat pasta that I was eating. (refer to my fitday calories logged in my journal in my signature). I have a blockly physique - 42inch chest, 14 1/2in arms, 33in. waist. The last thing I want to do is fill out my stomach more, genetically I have a wide waist for my narrow shoulders and I really want to keep a T figure, or I should say want to obtain more of a T figure.

Long story short, right now I'm trying the whole "eggs, tuna, chicken, peanut butter, steel cut oatmeal, lowfat plain yogurt, granola, veggies, fruit, milk, isopure shakes and wheat bread" staple diet. I don't think I'm getting nearly enough calories now, infact I know I'm not because I'm down to 150lbs or so. I want to increase my calories without becoming a fat ass.

Fat comes easily in my family, muscle does not.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time.

Maki Riddington
06-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Post a typical day. Maybe I can give you some meal suggestions.

ianack4life
06-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Post a typical day. Maybe I can give you some meal suggestions.

http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=59393

That has fitday calorie logs from the last bulk that didn't go over to well. I was out of town much of the time at my girlfriend's college where I couldn't cook and I had just started up a new position at my job.

Typical day for me, now, looks more like this;

2-3 Servings Oatmeal w/ Fatfree milk or 3-4 Egg + cheese Oatmeal
1/2 Isopure protein shake w/ Fat free milk (25grams protein + milk)
Any fruit if its lying around (apples, bananas, grapes)
1-2 Serving Plain lowfat yogurt + granola or premade yogurt cups
Peanut Butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat or Tuna + mayo on whole wheat
1/2 isopure shake before workout
1/2 isopure shake after workout
1 grilled chicken breast

I can't really think of anything else right now. The difference in my diet between now and when I was on the bulk is that I'm not really having all the wheat pasta I was from my work. I may have some now if I feel the urge but I really don't have it too much and also I'm no longer taking the N-large II or drinking so much milk.

***If any personal trainers or nutrionalists like yourself are willing to baby me and lay out pretty much exactly what to eat for a 19year old, 150lb individual that seems to be carb sensitive and prone to putting on fat and not muscle, I'll do whatever it takes.(with the exception of cottage cheese, I was open minded and tried once and almost upchucked.)

I've been at this game for way too long and can train everyone else but myself, i.e., everyone comes to me for help and makes awesome gains but I don't make those same awesome gains.

cphafner
06-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Looking at your diet you are not eating enough solid foods. Do you not eat red meat for a reason? You can easily increase your protein intake from tuna, chicken, and red meat. You need to learn more about pre/post-workout diets. You should have carbs at both times, post-workout is the most important time of the day to eat carbs. I suggest your read alot on diets, and especially on nutrient time. John Beradi write's good article on diet, here would be a good start.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm

ianack4life
06-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Looking at your diet you are not eating enough solid foods. Do you not eat red meat for a reason? You can easily increase your protein intake from tuna, chicken, and red meat. You need to learn more about pre/post-workout diets. You should have carbs at both times, post-workout is the most important time of the day to eat carbs. I suggest your read alot on diets, and especially on nutrient time. John Beradi write's good article on diet, here would be a good start.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm

I eat red meat, but as of late I just haven't seemed to have had it.

Also I do eat tuna and chicken on a regular basis. I think i'm gonna to start buying more chicken breast and eat 2 a day + a can of tuna and whatever else.