PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys manage -- seriously?

eps
06-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Ever since I started weight lifting, I find myself hungry ALL the time ... how do you eat several meals/take supplements while leading a normal life? I eat so much that my friends tease me about it (not that I care, but I wanted to mention it)

Every two hours I need to eat a meal! Do you prepare all your meals ahead of time or something?

What do you do when you're not at home? I'm an active student and so I tend to be at the university throughout the day (between 9 am to 5 pm). Last semester I lost 15 pounds because I didn't successfully manage my diet -- it sucked, it really did ... I made great gains only to have them dissappear.

I've just gained back the weight (and my sanity) this summer, I'd hate for that to happen again, I want to stay consistent in my gains.

Anyone who leads a busy life in here can feel my pain ... I'd like to hear any tips/advice from you. It would be most helpful.

Thanks a bunch,

-Eps

Zygote
06-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Skim Milk Powder - 200g is 722 Calories 70.4g protein, 2.4g fat, 106g Carb

Its super cheap compared to protein supplements, easy to mix into a couple of 1k Calorie shakes, doesn't taste bad and easy to drink between classes.

Theres a lot of carbs, but also lots of protein and almost no fat.

Zygote

ddegroff
06-19-2005, 09:19 PM
I go through the same thing while im at school. I usually take a sandwhich with me or go to subway or something close by. My friends give me **** about all the food i eat. Also i pack a shaker with some whey and a natty pb and honey.

Hoobastank
06-19-2005, 09:23 PM
During school, I cook chicken breasts (about six) and throw a couple in my backpack. In between every couple classes, eat them.

NicH.

TOBART
06-19-2005, 09:51 PM
I've noticed eatting and preparing food pretty much dominates my life right now. A typical day involves working (eat 3 times during work), supper as soon as I get home from work then straight to the gym. Now its a post workout meal and a bit of relaxing, then I prepare all the food to eat at work the next day. A bit of a break then I have another meal, right after this meal I have a weightgainer shake and I'm on the verge of exploding so I go to sleep.

Weekends are different since I have a lot more free time and I can stay up later. The only advice I can really offer is to drink most of your meals. Without meal replacement drinks I would disappear into nothing.

BG5150
06-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Here is one of the best tips I ever got:

Go to a wholesale club (such as Costco or Sams) and buy a big tray of chicken breasts (you can probably get 15 of them for about $12-13).

Even with a George Foreman Grill (one of the best inventions ever! imho), you can cook all of them in about an hour./ Put two apiece in a zip lock. Use each as you see fit. for example, you can use them in a grilled chicken salad. Or can heat them up and have w/ some pasta. beuaty part about chicken, is it's tasty cold. You can bring it with you and just chow down.

Bottom line: 2 chicken breasts a day, $13/week, 1 hour prep time.

TOBART
06-19-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm going to have to agree with BG5150, the george foreman grill is one of the best investments I've made. I've been eating a steak a day almost every day since I bought the thing a few months ago.

WBBIRL
06-20-2005, 01:54 AM
Heh, I have quite the other problem.... cant seem to stay away from the stuff. I only eat like once every 5-7 hours and still find myself slowly loseing. I watch my diet, eat only good foods and an average of 2k cals a day. Im cutting so yea but its going slow... and I dont eat alot. You guys have the problem I wish I could have lmao.

BG5150
06-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Heh, I have quite the other problem.... cant seem to stay away from the stuff. I only eat like once every 5-7 hours and still find myself slowly loseing. I watch my diet, eat only good foods and an average of 2k cals a day. Im cutting so yea but its going slow... and I dont eat alot. You guys have the problem I wish I could have lmao.

"can't seem to stay away from the stuff."
"I only eat like once every 5-5 hours..."

seems contradictory

doing some cardio will get the metabolism going. Try to eat small meals throughout the day instead of two or three big meals.

MasterOfPuppets
06-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Do you prepare all your meals ahead of time or something?

Yes. That does help a lot. ;) If I know I'm going somewhere, I'll make a crapload of turkey sandwiches in advance, and bring some peanuts or whatever. It's all about planning ahead. If you can't get good meals in, one suggestion I could make is to go on a dirty bulk. Again, this is a last resort, is hazardous to your health, and could very well make you look bad. :)

Have a nice day/ night/ morning, (don't know where you're from)

MOP

Anthony
06-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Prepare your meals in advance and bring them with you. Problem solved.

RussianRocket
06-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Prepare your meals in advance and bring them with you. Problem solved.

:withstupi

I usually prepare my lunch and snaks for the next day at night. My routine is something like this wake up eat, go to work, first break at 9 - have a snack, 11:30 - lunch, 2:00 snack. Get home at about 5, eat, do something, eat 2nd dinner at 8, than a snack at 9:30 - 10pm before bed time.

Unholy
06-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Cardio is for cardio bunnies

Shao-LiN
06-20-2005, 07:55 PM
And for those who want an extra push in their fat loss goals...and for those who would like a healthier cardiovascular system.

Rygel
06-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm the other way around- im on the "tryin to lose fat" right now (but have found lifting weigths alot of fun!) I have been preparing my meals 3-7 days out depending on what size container (as in 6 pieces chicken= cook 6) i put them in ziplocks and freeze all but for the next 2 days. when i get one out of fridge i pull one out of freezer. doing this with all my meals. Egg whites have been a diff story. there a pain in the arse so i was just taking them whole then peeling at work. finding out that takes to long when on break so now i peel enough for one day the nigtht before. I sure wish i had a problem where i could just eat all the time! but heck thats what got me where i am now!

Unholy
06-20-2005, 09:06 PM
And for those who want an extra push in their fat loss goals...and for those who would like a healthier cardiovascular system.

"cardio" in its truest meaning has little to do with "fat loss"

WBBIRL
06-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Diet is key, and I have a huge apetite.

Beholder
06-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Yet you only take in 2k calories a day.

WBBIRL
06-20-2005, 10:43 PM
its an extreme display of will power, I could easily eat 3 or 4 1K+ meals a day and think nothing of it. I would too if I wasnt tired of being a fatass.

AllUp
06-21-2005, 01:33 PM
how do you eat several meals/take supplements while leading a normal life?
You don't.. you will find yourself in a shady corner pounding food into your face.. :P

Seriously though, I'd grab a calorie-dense protein shake made at home and chip away at it thru the day, or you could always use Peanutbutter (Calorie dense as all hell). :)

Prep meals the night before.

RussianRocket
06-21-2005, 05:40 PM
can you liquify penut butter? lol, if you can that would be awesome.

getfit
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
can you liquify penut butter? lol, if you can that would be awesome.
my mother does when she makes some thai dishes!

dunno how she does it but i would guess she warms it up never tried it myself!

SpecialK
06-21-2005, 06:50 PM
my mother does when she makes some thai dishes!

dunno how she does it but i would guess she warms it up never tried it myself!

Natty PB has the consistency of a thick liquid thanks to all that oil that's in there.

kpd
06-21-2005, 08:46 PM
I am in the exact situation as you. I am on campus 10-12 hours a day. I just wake up an extra half hour early ( go to bed a half hour earlier at night) and just make all my food for the day. Ziplock bags, a shaker, and some tupperware containers should be your friend. And to answer your question, you dont lead a normal life. Look where a normal life like everyone else leads you. Its not good. Just suck it up and take the time, its the only way. People stare at me while I'm on the bus to school because my backpack is full of food for the day.... you'll get used to it.... On a side note, I was on the bus a couple of weeks ago, and this Homeless guy was staring at my backpack ( full of food ) and he looked at me, and then stared at my food, and right then I knew my obsession with eating good food and tons of it was where I wanted it to be because the first thought that ran through my head when I saw him look at my food was " I am prepared to break this guys face if he touches my precious nourishment "..... :ninja:

HahnB
06-21-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm going to have to agree with BG5150, the george foreman grill is one of the best investments I've made. I've been eating a steak a day almost every day since I bought the thing a few months ago.

You're missing out if you cook steak on a foreman grill. There's nothing that can replace the taste of flame broiled meat. When you go to a fine restaurant and order a filet, you can be sure they aren't cooking it on a foreman:) Great for a dorm room, not great if you have somewhere to put a real grill.

WBBIRL
06-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Id like to know how YOU guys manage.... yesterday and the day before I overshot my goal cals by 300-500 and I was still hungry. I swear I could eat 5k cals on a normal day, for how hungry I am and how much I can eat in one sitting.... I can eat a TON of food.

Wierz
06-22-2005, 01:51 PM
"cardio" in its truest meaning has little to do with "fat loss"

That's too general of a statement for me to agree with. How many calories you burn vs. how many you take in is the key. If cardio bumps up the number of calories you burn so that you're in the negative for caloric balance, then cardio has everything to do with fat loss. It's just different ways to acheive the same thing, but it's all about calories burned vs. calories eaten I guess (if that's what you're getting at, then sorry, I misunderstood you).

Anyway, so I don't go off on a tangent too badly, I find MRP shakes to be a lifesaver for me. I bring a shaker and some weight gain powder with me. I buy milk when I'm out and mix it there and drink it wherever I am. An easy way to add some good protein, and about 600-900 cals.

WBBIRL
06-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Cardio is all to often taken as an end all be all weight loss wonder. I could run 10 miles every day and still manage to gain weight (of course I would collapse after about the first 3 but thats besideds the point). If little jimmie goes and runs the football field for an hour and comes home and eats everything in site, hes done himself no good. I tend not to do cardio because for some reason I get really hungry afterwards... so for me its best just not to do it and watch the cals.

Shroud
06-24-2005, 06:43 PM
If little jimmie goes and runs the football field for an hour and comes home and eats everything in site, hes done himself no good.
Actually that isn't entirely true. Little Jimmy would be alot better off doing that and actually GETTING some exercise when compared to some sloth who doesn't eat and simply is a couch potato. Exercising regularly is going to provide benefits regardless of diet while being a sloth is all around unhealthy.

getfit
06-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Actually that isn't entirely true. Little Jimmy would be alot better off doing that and actually GETTING some exercise when compared to some sloth who doesn't eat and simply is a couch potato. Exercising regularly is going to provide benefits regardless of diet while being a sloth is all around unhealthy.
yes but diet benefits a whole lot!

Atomical
06-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Before I got injured I'd eat every hour after working out. Usually some yogurt or some blueberry/raspberry/blackberry combo.

WBBIRL
06-24-2005, 08:16 PM

Im about as lazy as they come (except for in the gym) and I can tell you your plain out wrong. If I were to workout now like I did in football camp, I would not lose anyweight if my diet wasn't as good as it is now. In fact I usually put weight on during football camp and I excersized like a mad man for those two weeks. Cardio does expend calories but its not going to do you any good if you only expend 1500 and eat 4500.

Atomical
06-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Running burns fat. Just less than walking. However, if I run 8 miles and you walk 6, I think I've got you beat.

WBBIRL
06-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Sure your do, but If you eat 5k cals that day and I eat my normal 2k cals whos going to lose weight.

APE.
06-25-2005, 12:27 PM
I mainly cook ahead of times an tupperware it a cpl days ahead of time an just keep the shakes handy an ready to mix w/ water.

U.L.? Hello neighbor. :windup:

ZDrax
06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
I cook everything on Sundays, throw it in a big tupperware container. If I'm hungry, grab 1 meat from Tupperware A, 1 veggie from tupperware B, throw on olive oil, maybe some PB on the side, + fish oil = Happy, healthy, and ripped :) I only really cook 3 times a day, I have 2 or 3 shakes ~ 40g of protein + Omega-3s at other times of the day.

pfc3rex
06-29-2005, 01:28 AM
Prep your meals before hand, and do the same with your shakes. It will make your life less stressful. Like said before ziplock bags, and tubberware will become your next best friend!