PDA

View Full Version : Point of diminishing returns (protein)

BG5150
06-19-2005, 09:15 PM
It seems like the prevalent theory is more protein = more mass. Common relations seem to say at least 1g protein per # of body weight (bw) to 1.5g per # of bw. I've seen people suggesting 2g per # per bw for big growth.

What is the point of dimishing returns on this curve? If it's 1g. No, 1.5g. No, 2g. Why not 2.5g? Or 3g? Why not 10? I'd be huge! Where does the curve start to dip significantly?

TheGimp
06-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Not at all

Sure you need at least 1g / lb of body weight in protein a day but the limiting factor is going to be CALORIE intake

Adam
06-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Only one way to find out.
TRY!

I know that for ME the more protein i can put into myself the better the results. My highest recorded intake was 400+Grams a day @ ~180lbs ~11%BF.

bigsethmeister
06-20-2005, 05:02 PM
well it depends a lot on you. i'd end up getting fat, personally. my body just loves to make fat. sigh.

ddegroff
06-20-2005, 05:46 PM
I was searching around about this subject earlier. Heres what i found:

This was a conversation between Robert M. Russell, M.D., and Carmen Castanada Sceppa, M.D., Ph.D.

Carmen Castanada Sceppa wrote:
When people start consuming too much protein (over 2.0 g/kg/d), the extra protein can become a stressful stimulus for the kidney. This is even more of a concern as we get older and our organs are less efficient and effective.

Very high levels of dietary protein have also been correlated with increased urinary calcium excretion. The loss of calcium through urine could potentially be harmful for bone turnover, with the added risk of osteoporosis. Finally, protein requires vitamin B6 in order to be metabolized and ultimately utilized in the body. Very high levels of dietary protein increase the requirement for this B vitamin.

heres the site if you want to check it out:
http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/articles/nutrition/protein_2/

Of course you can eat as much protein as you like but i figured i would just bring this up, because you can damage yourself with to much protein.

Holto
06-20-2005, 08:31 PM
here is my logic (possibly demented)

g's of protein for bodily function ie: hemoglobin production

+

g's of protein required for tissue repair (maintenance)

+

g's of protein required to create *new* tissue

= total requirements to increase LBM

IMO going 1 gram over that is basically the point of diminishing returns

more scattered thoughts:

how many grams of protein in 1 lb of muscle if it's 70% water?

448 * 0.3 = 134 grams

The body is incredibly efficient and I would estimate the grams of protein required to synthesize 1 lb of muscle would be extremely close to 134

(It's too bad this is something that only concerns bb's or we might know this for sure)

So in other words we need to meet our daily requirements, repair what we damage during training (this is significant) and then get an extra 134g's to gain 1 lean lb

now how long does it take to gain 1 lb of muscle ?

if the average *advanced* trainer puts on 5-10lbs/year then we have a month or two to get that extra 134 grams of protein

It's a disgustingly low number to think about and I'm posting this merely for perspective

jack_of_all
06-21-2005, 03:14 PM
i get 125 grams if im lucky and i gained ~18 lbs of muscle (and 7 lbs of fat :( ) this year, so i obviously get more protein than i NEED, i can see how eating more protein could be optimal though.

Golb0016
06-21-2005, 03:59 PM
I believe all you need is 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Carbs will actually help you gain more size (2g per bw)