PDA

View Full Version : Preworkout carbs for cardio?

cphafner
06-19-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm a newb when it comes to cutting, this is the first time I have ever attempt any type of cut. I was wondering if I should consume any carbs pre-cardio. I normally only consume carbs during breakfast and pre/postworkout. The only other carbs I take in during the day is in the form of veggies (not counting reload days). I am doing cardio at night after work, AM cardio is just not possible. I normally consume 300 cals pre-workout (26 g protein, 43g carbs). My loss is starting to slow a bit. If I normally consume 300 pre-workout, and then burn about 300 cals during cardio, it seems like a waste of time. Should I drop the carbs pre-workout? I'm assuming that I should still be consuming carbs post-cardio (just like working out). Thanks for any help, sorry about the newb question.

chops
06-19-2005, 11:54 PM
some may say it depends on the type of cardio you're doing, i.e. steady state 65-75% HR (don't eat) or HIIT (eat). personally no matter what kind of cardio i plan to do, i always have to eat a small amount of carbs (~100 cals) to help get me going in the beginning or i will start off sluggish, stay sluggish, suffer, and quit early. if i eat, once i get going, i can keep going for a longer period than if i hadn't eaten, and in the end i net more cals burned. i'd prefer to not eat, but that just doesn't work for me.

cphafner
06-20-2005, 05:16 AM
Chops: Thanks. I am doing a combo of low/higher intensity cardio. 2x's a week I am walking on an incline at a brisk pace. The other 2x's a week I am doing more intensity interval training on an eliptical stairstepper.

redcap
06-23-2005, 03:54 PM
I do a lot of cardio, I've found that if I consume enough caffinee before a workout, I can push myself very far. Energy drinks like redbull are evil in this sense.

I usually just down a protien shake (around 44 grams of protien.) and sometimes i might add a half a cup of chai tea latte (18 grams sugar, and about half the caffine of coffee.)

But when I do a protien shake + redbull a halfhour before the workout, I can run 1 hour at 10 mph on the ecliptical rider no problem whatsoever. Of course I've been doing cardio training since last fall.

A lot of people diss caffine, but if you're trying to loose weight quickly, it helps a lot, you've just got to make sure to drink plenty of fluids.

Also, you might want to look into fruits - they're a great source of carbs and energy for cardio workouts. After you get into your routene, its very important you step it up when you feel like you can keep going. I like to step things up in two week intervals, and I like to take breaks every 2 months or so for 4 or 5 days where I exit the diet and eat normally. Just keeps me from going completely insane and killing people.

But as far as dropping carbs for pre-workouts, I would. Well I do. Keep carbs to a minimum, or eat a lot of carbs for dinner the night before. This helps a lot too.

When I started doing cardio training I was doing something similar to yours, but after a few months you start to get addicted and hopefully you push yourself to go faster, harder, and more importantly longer. Now I'm up to a mimimum of 1 hour a day of cardio - half high intensity, plus my normal weight lifting exercises on the machines.

Trust me, the first few weeks are tough, but as you know, it pays off big later - you will end up having more energy, you won't have to sleep as much, and you won't have to eat as much either. Also your wastline will shrink and your legs will start to show more.

You should take your RHT (resting heart rate) first thing in the morning, and do it again a few months later. Eventually you'll train your heart to work less... keep track of your heart rate when you can to monitor your progress. Overtime your heart will get stronger and work less, which will allow you to work out longer. You've just got to condition it.

Built
06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm with redcap on the caffeine front, but I skip carbs for cardio unless it's true HIIT.

I do AM empty cardio (fast walk), and post workout cardio (either HIIT or fast incline walk).

If I was only doing cardio that day, I'd skip the post workout carbs, too.

I think it comes down to goals - if you're trying to build up your endurance, feed carbs to your cardio workouts.

If you're trying for fat burning, anything that stimulates insulin is not your friend.