PDA

View Full Version : Calories -vs- Nutritional Content

fierce
06-21-2005, 07:15 PM
If losing weight is the ONLY thing you are concerned with, then should you only really be concerned with the calories you are intaking? Does even looking at the fat/carbs/protein/sugars etc mean anything if you are strictly concerned with weight loss?

I.E, If someone is only getting 200 carbs a day (lets assume this is 2000 calories) and not getting ANY protein or ANY fat.. and also assume maintenance level is 2,500.. then they will still lose weight?

Would getting 2000 calories ONLY from protein with ZERO fat ZERO carbs result in a completely different weightloss? I.E more fat loss rather than muscle loss?

And one more question.... If you are ONLY eating cottage cheese every day.. lets say 5 containers... here are the stats

Calories = = 2200
Fat = = 92
Carbs = =100 total
Protein = 260

What would be wrong with doing this, if anything??

spanky33
06-21-2005, 10:05 PM
To answer your question simply, yes, you will lose weight regardless of macro breakdown.
HOWEVER, not eating proper proportions will cause a greater LBM loss rather than fat loss.

Let me go through a few of what you mentioned:

No protein diet/low protein: this is the worst idea ever. you'll lose muscles to provide you body with the essential amino acids that you need.

Low fat: although this might be very effective in short term fat loss, your body eventually gets used to it, and increases serum lipoprotein lipase. what happens is that you start storing fat much easier. this is you body's way of 'surviving' because it's afraid of not having enough body fat in it's stores, so it saves anything it can as fat. so dont do this.

Low carb: I'm not a big fat of this either. Some people swear by it. You asked specifically if eating sipmle sugars will do anything to fat loss. Simple answer is no, you will still lose the same amount of weight. The problem is that you will be STARVING your ass off, cuz u'll digest these simple sugars very quickly, and your blood glucose levels will be all over the place. No good.

Your best bet: Keep macro breakdown pretty even (i.e. 33/33/33) or something around that. Carbs should be complex/fibrous to keep you full longer. Lotsa protein. Protein has a satiating effect, and it's the most thermogenic of all the macros. Eat your fats. Especially EFA's. They are essential for a reason. And yummy.

I can't think of anything else to say. In terms of what you asked specifically, eating only cottage cheese.

Short answer: yes, you'll lose weight just fine.
Caveat: you'll be missing out on a lot of micronutrients if u only eat one type of food.

Take care

Slim Schaedle
06-21-2005, 10:15 PM
I.E, If someone is only getting 200 carbs a day (lets assume this is 2000 calories) and not getting ANY protein or ANY fat
Let's not assume that at all b/c 200g carbohydrates is nowhere near 2000 calories. Let's assume that it's 800 calories, b/c that's what it is.

Not trying to be a jerk, and I do see the point you are making.