PDA

View Full Version : My strange bulking results... wtf?

intensity
06-22-2005, 08:51 AM
I seem to put on way too much fat, and way too little muscle when I bulk... and I have no idea why. Let me explain.

This most recent bulk was barely a full bulk. I went from 158lbs to 173lbs right now. I've been getting 1.5 grams of protein per pound. 28% of my daily calorie intake is from good fat (nuts, olive oil) and the rest is carbs (whole wheat bread, brown rice, potatoes). Sounds pretty good right?

So that's a 15lb weight gain with a pretty solid diet. And I did it really slow too. Actually, too slow. But anyway, here's the thing...

During this bulk I have gained almost 3 AND A HALF INCHES on my waist.

3 and a half inches for an extremely slow 15 pound bulk? How is that possible? Why so much fat for such a strict and slow bulk?

I've also gained almost a half inch on my arms, a little over 1 inch on my legs, and a little over half an inch on my calves. And, of course, 3 and a half inches on my waist. I've read some of the journals on here where some of you bulk 40lbs and still don't put 3 and a half inches on your waist.

What's up with this?

drew
06-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Do you know what your BF% was before and what it is now? That seems very strange.

intensity
06-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Do you know what your BF% was before and what it is now? That seems very strange.

Nope, no idea. I wasn't super lean or anything. I had about a 32 inch waist... and I'm about 35.5 now.

MM
06-22-2005, 09:52 AM
I've lost two and a half pounds on my slow bulk. Pretty sweet. :(

I don't know how to explain your results; some people are more prone to putting weight on around their waist, and perhaps you're one of them. What was your routine like during your bulk?

bigsethmeister
06-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Intensity I was going to post a similar thread actually...

I've got the same problem as you. Bulking seems to really be a hassle because my body just wants to make as much fat as it can. :cry: !%$#!^%$#

I started my bulk at 10.4% bf and 175lbs and I'm only up to 180 now and already can see fat on my waist. ^%#!$#

ryuage
06-22-2005, 10:29 AM
so what do you consider slow when gaining 15 lbs?

intensity
06-22-2005, 10:47 AM
so what do you consider slow when gaining 15 lbs?
Really slow. Like, 1-2 pounds a month. My goal was to do it slow enough so I would gain the least amount of fat possible. It somehow did the opposite.

What was your routine like during your bulk?
monday: chest/triceps
flat bench
incline dumbbell press
flyes
weighted dips
pressdowns

tuesday: legs
squats
leg press or leg extensions
SLDL
leg curls
standing calve raises

wednesday: off

thursday: shoulders/traps/abs
dumbbell press
lateral raises
shrugs
weighted crunches/leg raises

friday: back/biceps
weighted pullups
bent over row
cable row
EZ bar curls
seated dumbbell curls

saturday/sunday: off

smalls
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Where you improving strengthwise through the duration of this bulk. I have always put on lots of fat when I bulk. And my waist is the first to see it. What kind of cheat meals etc where implemented throughout.

intensity
06-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Where you improving strengthwise through the duration of this bulk. I have always put on lots of fat when I bulk. And my waist is the first to see it. What kind of cheat meals etc where implemented throughout.

All of my lifts improved at least a little, but maybe not as much as they should have.

And about cheat meals, there were none. Not one. I also don't drink. My diet was as strict as it could have possibly been. Every meal was the way it was supposed to be.

That's why I'm so confused... the most strict diet possible, a super slow bulk, a workout focusing on all the big compound lifts... and I still somehow gained 3 and a half inches on my waist for a 15lb weight gain. Crazy...

TOBART
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Did you take these waist measurements at roughly the same time of day? I know I can put around 3" on my waist within a day (just from all the food in me).

intensity
06-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Did you take these waist measurements at roughly the same time of day? I know I can put around 3" on my waist within a day (just from all the food in me).
Yup, same time. Even the same day.

And plus, even without the measurement, it's pretty easy to see the 3 and a half inch gain.

(And by the end of the day, I too put on about 2-3 inches just from all the food/water I've eaten/drank during the day. So yeah... that's about 38 inches before bed... which is insane.)

YungLifter
06-22-2005, 01:18 PM
you didnt drink? Not even water....?

intensity
06-22-2005, 01:23 PM
you didnt drink? Not even water....?
I figure there is a .001% chance that this is a serious question, so I'll answer it just in case.

No, I mean I didn't drink any alcohol. I do in fact drink a little more than a gallon and a half of water a day.

slp566
06-23-2005, 01:43 AM
I have to agree with MM you might be prone to wait around the waist. Definately stay away from the beer!.

galileo
06-23-2005, 06:18 AM
During this bulk I have gained almost 3 AND A HALF INCHES on my waist.

Have you ever considered that you've merely added a lot of food-mass to your intestines? I can expand and contract my waist by 3" in the matter of a week based on my diet. I have never felt that inches mean anything when it comes to bodyfat.

Buy yourself a pair of calipers and keep track that way.

heatwave345
06-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Hey I was about to start a post on the same subject as I am seeing the same results as you are.

I've been trying to bulk as well and been following the 5-6 meals a day plan with P+C and P+F meal combinations. I have also chose foods on the "What a body builder eats list" with only a few cheat days (had ribs last night and B&J's last week :))

I have gained about 5 lbs during the past week, but it seems that my stomach is much bigger (didn't do measurements or anything). One thing during this bulk that I have cut out is cardio as i'm only doing it sparingly now, maybe that might be the reason. Should I incorporate it back in?

Also, i don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I've been known to have a really slow metabolism throughout my life. When a buddy who weighs about the same as I do and I go on the stationary bikes, his HR would go up to 140 in a few mins and mine would hover around 100. Could that be another reason i've been gaining so much fat?

Here's a sample diet of mine:

Bfast - 1/2 cup CC, 1 egg, 4 oz smoked trout (400 cals)

Lunch - Chipotle rice and beans burrito w/ salsa and sour cream (800 cals)

Snack - half a bagel (100 cals)

Dinner - Chinese Beef Noodle Soup, BJ's sorbet (800 Cals)

Snack - 3 slices turkey, 1/2 cup CC, 1 can diet soft drink (150 cals)

water throughout the day. i also usually eat more fruit and veggies, but didn't do so during this day cause I ate out for lunch and dinner.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

CarlP
06-23-2005, 06:40 AM
Eating ribs isn't cheating, that's protein.

heatwave345
06-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Eating ribs isn't cheating, that's protein.

oh no lol, it wasn't just a few ribs.... haha.

i had the all you can eat riblets thing at applebees

2 servings of ribs, fries, and mashed potatoes baby! my buddy had 4 O_O! he didn't eat the sides tho.

hmmm maybe that's why i've gained a belly :(. But seriously, I noticed it happening before I cheat.

YungLifter
06-23-2005, 06:53 AM
usually people on a bulk look like their pregnant by the end of the day, so its normal to have a bely at the end of the day lol.

SpecialK
06-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Hey I was about to start a post on the same subject as I am seeing the same results as you are.

I've been trying to bulk as well and been following the 5-6 meals a day plan with P+C and P+F meal combinations. I have also chose foods on the "What a body builder eats list" with only a few cheat days (had ribs last night and B&J's last week :))

I have gained about 5 lbs during the past week, but it seems that my stomach is much bigger (didn't do measurements or anything). One thing during this bulk that I have cut out is cardio as i'm only doing it sparingly now, maybe that might be the reason. Should I incorporate it back in?

Also, i don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I've been known to have a really slow metabolism throughout my life. When a buddy who weighs about the same as I do and I go on the stationary bikes, his HR would go up to 140 in a few mins and mine would hover around 100. Could that be another reason i've been gaining so much fat?

Here's a sample diet of mine:

Bfast - 1/2 cup CC, 1 egg, 4 oz smoked trout (400 cals)

Lunch - Chipotle rice and beans burrito w/ salsa and sour cream (800 cals)

Snack - half a bagel (100 cals)

Dinner - Chinese Beef Noodle Soup, BJ's sorbet (800 Cals)

Snack - 3 slices turkey, 1/2 cup CC, 1 can diet soft drink (150 cals)

water throughout the day. i also usually eat more fruit and veggies, but didn't do so during this day cause I ate out for lunch and dinner.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

I don't think your heart rate has anything to do with your metabolism. If anything it should be a good sign that your heart rate doesn't go up as much. I read that Lance Armstrong's heart beats once every other second at rest, and I don't think anyone would ever claim he has a slow metabolism.