PDA

View Full Version : Forget the Diet?

WILLGETNICE
06-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I had a conversation with a trainer at the gym I go to earlier today. He was a decorated bodybuilder but is a competing power lifter now, so I take the advice I get from him with more consideration than with just anyone else. I was explaining to him just pretty general stuff like my long term goals (which are to gain about 30 lbs. with no particular date set but the sooner the better obviously).

I told him my current diet and he just shook his head. I eat really clean, low fat, no sugar, high protein, etc. He told me to stop looking at labels and JUST EAT. He told me don't go to Wendy's and order cheeseburgers, order DOUBLE CHEESEBURGERS. You see where this is going?

He said with my build and metabolism diet really isn't something I should worry about so much at this point. Can anyone else clarify this? I've always been a label reader but if just eating and eating and eating is the best bet I'll do it.

getfit
06-22-2005, 03:58 PM
why low in fat first of all?

Vapour Trails
06-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Well how tall are you and what weight?

For the ectomorphic types, it probably isn't bad advice. For me, it would be. I do think most people obsess about diet more than they need to though.

WBBIRL
06-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Depends on your body bro... know one knows it better then you. I wouldnt say gorge yourself. Id say find your maintence calories, and to do that just record the number of calories you eat every day and then lower them or raise them until your not gaining or loseing weight. Be careful of burning them too... you have to take that into account. You cant be finding your maintance in the middle of track season and then eat that way in the offseason. So take like two weeks and eat a set number of cals ( be extremely strict on tracking the numbers ) and then see if your weight goes up or down. If your lifting I would alot calories to be lost during training, maybe an extra 500 for the days you lift. Once you have a general feeling of the number of cals you need to not gain or lose weight, then increase them by 10-15% and let it ride. Now you may be thinking, screw that ill go up by 50%, thats nearly five times as fast. Well you would put weight on five times as fast, just 90% of it would be fat. It takes a good while to put muscle on, I would say that 2-3lbs every month would be a huge gain and it would probably be more like a pound to a pound and a half.

Shao-LiN
06-22-2005, 07:37 PM
If you're really skinny, the first thing most people recommend to you is just to eat everything in sight. But, to control fat gain, I would monitor what goes into your body. If that isn't much of your concern, order up and chomp away.

Neil
06-22-2005, 10:00 PM
If your metabolism is that high then I agree with him, although I wouldn't eat a bunch of fast food just because of the poor nutritional value. Try to shovel down quality foods, and drink a ton of milk.

drew
06-23-2005, 07:29 AM
It also depends on your overall goals. Most advanced powerlifters will just eat everything and anything. If you're just looking to get stronger, this isn't bad advice.

AllUp
06-23-2005, 08:24 AM
I think he's trying to tell you to consume more calories daily, and that it doesnt matter where they come from, as long as you get em. :)

AllUp
06-23-2005, 08:30 AM
If its calories, Melted PB(mix in the pb till it's a light brown swirl) in oatmeal with vanilla protein shake mixed in. If you need more cals, add more PB.

You get some quality oats, some decent fats & cals, and decent PROTEIN. :D

Yes, it's an aquired taste.. I know.. It's something I've gotten into as of late along with eggs & turkey bacon with a shot of EVOoil for breakfast. :p