PDA

View Full Version : Boards???

WBBIRL
06-23-2005, 06:19 PM
How are they used, is it as simple as getting a few hunks of lumber and useing them. Is the purpose of a board to make the bottom of your rep higher off your chest??? Im kinda lost here so I figured that I would ask, I was goana post this in CR's Journal but didnt wana spam it up (since he does board work).

Anthony
06-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Get a few 2x6 boards (12-14" in length is good), duct tape them together, tie them around your chest or have someone hold them, then bench as normal. The purpose is to help your lockout, so you'd be smart to set the height of the boards close to your sticking point.

WBBIRL
06-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Ok, thanks.

Guido
06-24-2005, 12:49 PM
When getting ready for a meet and getting used to a new bench shirt, it's good to usually start with a higher number of boards (like a 3-board), and then move it down a week till you can do a full press with the least amount of weight you can touch with in the shirt but still be able to press up. That should then be your starting point weight at the meet.

It helps to have one board longer than the others to use as a "handle" for the person holding them on your chest.

Yes it's good for lockouts and getting your muscles and CNS used to overload.

WBBIRL
06-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Well im sure you guys know what negatives are, so would doing them with the boards be better or worse??? Im thinking that a fuller ROM would be better for negatives... as far as lockout work, thats my strong point. If anything Im weak off the bottom.

Anthony
06-24-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't see the point in doing negatives with boards, but who knows.

Set the boards to correspond with your sticking point. You can vary it, but the main purpose is to make you stronger in the area where you usually get stuck.

pfc3rex
07-05-2005, 12:17 AM
wbbirl, you are pretty much on target about the boards. I've heard from a couple of people that they give phenomenal results. I hope to use them in the near future!

ryuage
07-05-2005, 12:21 AM
so if I get stuck right off the chest should I use 1 board :D

Anthony
07-05-2005, 04:11 AM
If you get stuck right off the chest, the bar is too heavy. :p But I'm pretty sure I've used 1 board before. :D