PDA

View Full Version : mexican restaurant salsa?

Patz
06-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know a recipe for a Mexican restaurant style salsa? My local restaurant has this VERY basic salsa. I'd be willing to bet it's nothing more than maybe crushed tomatoes, and some kind of special hot sauce. I love it. There's another one with a slightly more complex salsa, but again, it's mostly crushed tomatoes.

Does anyone know of a salsa recipe like what I'm referring to?

Unreal
06-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Salsa varies from city to city, and place. Most basic salsa recipes are tomato, onion, some sort of chili (jalapeno, etc..), and some spices (cilantro, garlic, salt, ...).

search any recipe site, www.foodtv.com , or google salsa recipes and you'll get 10000 of them.

Patz
06-26-2005, 12:52 PM
I did. I've got another feeler out on a salsa recipe. I've searched through tons of recipes, but I can't seem to find one like that generic stuff they use at the restaurant. I made some once with a recipe like you described, and it was TOO HOT. 6 jalepenos should NOT go into 4 cups of salsa. WTF are these people thinking?

This is coming froma guy who can eat raw habaneros....

adotson
06-29-2005, 08:43 AM
I make my salsa all based on feel... personally I like the kinda that look more like pico de gallo. So I dice some tomatos, some onions, drop in some lime, some salt, some ciliantro, drop in 1 or 2 serrenos, maybe a jalapeno or two and call it good.

Sometimes you should clear your sinuses, salsa has a great ability to do that.

Aaron

Spartacus
10-22-2005, 09:18 PM
it might help if you told us what went wrong with your salsa, in terms of how its different from what you want.

Asylum
12-17-2005, 11:07 AM
If you want a good store bought salsa, try Jack's Special. Usually in the deli or produce section of grocery stores. Fantastic, has a pico de gallo quality to it. Comes in hot and medium.

Nicoman
01-03-2006, 06:05 AM
I make my salsa all based on feel... personally I like the kinda that look more like pico de gallo. So I dice some tomatos, some onions, drop in some lime, some salt, some ciliantro, drop in 1 or 2 serrenos, maybe a jalapeno or two and call it good.

Sometimes you should clear your sinuses, salsa has a great ability to do that.

Aaron

Excellent recipe....one of the things that you would like to add would be a Mexican sauce called "Cholula"

It is what most taquerias instantly spice up their pico with. Even the most basic of pico would be instantaneously transformed.

Take care,
Nico