PDA

View Full Version : Healthiest Ethnic Food?

Asylum
06-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Here's the deal, I've been wondering this lately and can't seem to find definitive info on it. What type of ethnic food is the healthiest? Rather, perhaps I should ask if anyone has info or can provide links to articles on what ethnicity eats the healthiest diet. I've heard Japanese, I've heard Mediterranean. What do you guys hear? I love eating ethnic foods but want to eat healthy ethnic foods, not the stuff that will fatten you up and kill you like Chinese food. Also, if you know of any healthy ethnic recipes, please link or post here. I'll be your best friend.....

Shao-LiN
06-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Chinese food will fatten you up if you eat excessive amounts of it. As will any other excessive amount of any "ethnic" food. The key is calorie intake. As far as portions go, Japanese eat lots of sushi, which is essentially a high protein method of dieting. You can eat any ethnic food if you know how to control the calories.

APE.
06-26-2005, 10:44 AM
I'd think every ethinicity has it's ups an downs when it comes to dieting.
Except mine;..lol..it's all down hill.
Everything is smoked (There is even a "Smoked Meat Festival" this weekend)
Or Gumbo are sauce which technically is greasy fat & salt w/ tomato sauce.

Asylum
06-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Chinese food will fatten you up if you eat excessive amounts of it. As will any other excessive amount of any "ethnic" food. The key is calorie intake. As far as portions go, Japanese eat lots of sushi, which is essentially a high protein method of dieting. You can eat any ethnic food if you know how to control the calories.

Agreed Shao, but you can keep your caloric intake down and still be eating ethnic food that is high in fat or cholesterol or MSG's. My question is more about healthful content of the diet rather than how many calories are in it.

Bruise Brubaker
06-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Just eat the best of the foods, wherever it comes from.

ReelBigFish
06-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I think we have the worst foods here in the south. Everything is deep fried and covered with gravy or served with some mayo-based sauce...And people wonder why Mississippi has the 2nd highest obesity rate in the country.

ddegroff
06-27-2005, 10:11 AM
:withstupi no one wonders why trust me. but eat the best you can tell by whats in it if its bad or good for you

galileo
06-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Why do people title their posts so ****ing poorly?

Anyhow, Japanese food is typically the least processed. Traditional Chinese food is not deep-fried as we've come to know in America - it's actually quite bland and is mostly healthy.

getfit
06-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Vietnamese is quite good!

ryuage
06-27-2005, 01:01 PM
I was actually in a book store and stumbled across a book that lists "healthy" alternatives when eating out and listed every region of the world and what foods are the best and worst in terms of "healthy"

bigsethmeister
06-27-2005, 01:16 PM
There is even a "Smoked Meat Festival" this weekend

I think I'd like it there. :drooling:

Also I LOVE thai, japanese, vietnamese, filipino, indian... nevermind i just realized i like everything.

thajeepster
06-27-2005, 01:16 PM
im partial to thai myself, just stay away from anything cooked in tons of coconut milk.

waynis
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Anyhow, Japanese food is typically the least processed. Traditional Chinese food is not deep-fried as we've come to know in America - it's actually quite bland and is mostly healthy.

yeah it's a shame they ruin it here in america.

shansen008
06-27-2005, 03:15 PM
im partial to thai myself, just stay away from anything cooked in tons of coconut milk.

A second vote for thai food, though i dont mind the coconut milk. Actually, it is the reason i vote for Thai.

Rice, meat, veggies, and good fats. You also cant beat the flavor and aroma of the food, it is delicious.

2 saturated fats i dont shy away from in my diet come from cows milk and coconut milk. They are both A+ in my book.

YungLifter
06-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Im half prtugese and half brazilian. My parents cook alot and from what I can see that they use it looks healthy. Beans, Rice, Potatos, ALOT of fish and pork, theirs also alot of chicken and red meat, alot of veggies(salads mostly) and fruits, and my parents always have soup made, and we use olive oil alot when preparing meals. The seasoning that my parents use im not to sure about but I will ask them. I will ask them for some recipes.

getfit
06-27-2005, 03:47 PM
mmmmmmmm beans and rice i cook everything with olive oil but hey i'm greek ;)

APE.
06-27-2005, 04:37 PM
http://www.oldwayspt.org/pyramids/

A website that gives examples of a cpl of different ethnic food pyramids.

eastbaylifter
06-27-2005, 04:44 PM
I've been successfully cutting for 6 months now, (started at 5'9", 230 and down to 178 now) and I love spicy/ethnic food, so I only eat ethnic food once a week on my "cheat" day. Like others said, stay away from Chinese though. I've found that Korean is very clean and healthy and I don't count that as a cheat day.

Asylum
06-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Why do people title their posts so ****ing poorly?

What is poor about the title "Healthiest Ethnic Food?" ????

Did it trick you into thinking it was about protein powder or something?

Asylum
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
I was actually in a book store and stumbled across a book that lists "healthy" alternatives when eating out and listed every region of the world and what foods are the best and worst in terms of "healthy"

Do you happen to remember the title or author Ryuage?

Beast
06-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Mediterranean, hands down.

Actually, diets with lots of fish (traditional Chinese, Japanese) are great, too.

galileo
06-28-2005, 06:18 AM
What is poor about the title "Healthiest Ethnic Food?" ????

Did it trick you into thinking it was about protein powder or something?

It was changed, *******. Your original title was "BIG Question." I can see that because when I click on my little button called "Edit Thread" I get to see all changes made. Fun, huh?

dissipate
06-28-2005, 07:49 AM
i reckon every type of ethnic food has its good and bad dishes, and actually it mostly boils down to who's doing the cooking. over here i eat chinese food all the time and it's healthy - steamed fish, lots of leafy green veg and the like. unfortunately lots of chinese food you find in western countries have been changed to suit western tastes.

Asylum
06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
It was changed, *******. Your original title was "BIG Question." I can see that because when I click on my little button called "Edit Thread" I get to see all changes made. Fun, huh?

Oh whoops. Yeah I guess that is a crappy thread title. My bad.