PDA

View Full Version : hurry quick about to make shake, what can i substitute for milk? lactose intolerant

GMCtrk
06-26-2005, 08:12 PM
I dont want to fart my rear off tomorrow after drinking 5 cups of milk in my shake, so what can I substitute? Would ice cream work? How would that taste with ON whey? LOL thansk!

galileo
06-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Water.

Ice Cream is milk. What grade are you in?

Buy Hood's Low Carb milk. I can drink it with no discomfort.

Unholy
06-26-2005, 08:42 PM
wow

lazyman79
06-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Why do you need to mix anything with your protein shake other than water? Milk mixed with whey may be better at night to slow the digestive process so your body is continually getting protein even while you sleep, but (water) is generally the best thing to take with whey. It will get into your system a lot faster than if you take it with milk.

Shao-LiN
06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Would ice cream work?

I'll go ahead and think you were joking. How bout water?

GMCtrk
06-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Guys....only milk gives me problem, I can eat all the yogurt and ice cream I want.

GMCtrk
06-26-2005, 08:59 PM
also, I usually mix with milk becuase I take this shake before i go to sleep! I usually make about a 1500 cal shake LOL. I need caseinate!

getfit
06-26-2005, 09:01 PM
can you eat cottage cheese?

GMCtrk
06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
can you eat cottage cheese?

I don't like cottage chese, I have tried it before

galileo
06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Guys....only milk gives me problem, I can eat all the yogurt and ice cream I want.

Yogurt has bacteria which assists in digestion. Ice cream is milk, so I believe you're speaking of a matter of volume. If not, you've tricked yourself into thinking ice cream wasn't milk.

GMCtrk
06-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Yogurt has bacteria which assists in digestion. Ice cream is milk, so I believe you're speaking of a matter of volume. If not, you've tricked yourself into thinking ice cream wasn't milk.

im not a moron although i may seem like one LOL...I know ice cream is made out of milk.

But, somehow the lactose is digested in ice cream and yogurt whereas in milk it is not. I eat 3 cups of yogurt a day and I can sit and eat a gallon of ice cream NO PROBLEM. it's milk that gets me all sick.

GMCtrk
06-26-2005, 09:06 PM
oh and would you all please stop arguing with me, I know my damn body :(

I just asked what I could mix my stuff with. thanks!

galileo
06-26-2005, 09:07 PM
That's probably because of all of the yogurt you eat. The bacteria will build in your intestines and help to digest things. 3 cups of yogurt should combat most of your lactose concerns. Perhaps you need to drink less volume with your milk.

GMCtrk
06-26-2005, 09:12 PM
That's probably because of all of the yogurt you eat. The bacteria will build in your intestines and help to digest things. 3 cups of yogurt should combat most of your lactose concerns. Perhaps you need to drink less volume with your milk.

:(

I dont know man, I love milk becuase its got so many good nutrients in it, and i usually just fill the whole damn blender up with it....but gawd damn does it destroy my intestines

galileo
06-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Again I suggest low-carb milk or even Lactaid brand milk. Although the latter seems to still bother me when I drink too much.

GMCtrk
06-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Again I suggest low-carb milk or even Lactaid brand milk. Although the latter seems to still bother me when I drink too much.

well, I mean like now...considering I am about to go make the shake now LOL...I may try ice cream

ReelBigFish
06-26-2005, 11:54 PM
how about the yogurt?? cottage cheese in a shake doesn't taste bad at all if you add a little splenda to it. that and some ice and it's just like an ice cream milk shake.

Reinvented
06-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I find Milk overrated. Yes it has nutrients (i drink skim myself) but i question how safe it is to consume huge quantities of it. With all the hormones they give cows these days, and the fact that Humans are the only animal that continues to eat milk after the initial infancy stage etc....

I do try to limit how much dairy i take in, thankfully for me, i like cottage cheese (skim) and plain yogurt.

I mix just whey with water, but anytime i put oats/fruit/oliveoil/pb in my shakes i take it with milk, i can only imagine how gross it tastes with water.

I used to use juice, until i came to these boards and found out just how much crap i could avoid by not using juice and just mixing with water.....

Unreal
06-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Soy milk is tasty.

getfit
06-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Soy milk is tasty.
yep especially the vanilla and chocolate flavored ones! :D

Titanium_Jim
06-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Yep, I've replaced milk with rice dream and silk.

Unreal
06-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Yah, I get soymilk when its onsale. Otherwise its too pricey for my budget. Vanilla soymilk is awesome in a big bowl of wheaties or making shakes.

GMCtrk
06-27-2005, 09:28 PM
soymilk tastes like ****....I'd rather get diharrea drinking regular milk than drink soymilk

BG5150
06-28-2005, 12:12 AM
what flavor whey do you have? I find ON's chocolate crummy in water, but on occasion I'll have it that way.

Why not try it in the ice cream? What do you have to lose? A scoop of protein and a couple scoops of ice cream.