PDA

View Full Version : Excess Tuna

Gyno Rhino
12-10-2001, 09:36 PM
Would having alot of tuna (3 out of 7 meals tops) (totaling less than 20oz a day) be detrimental in any way? It's convenient, tastes good... Bad idea, good idea??

syntekz
12-10-2001, 09:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Just don't be surprised if you don't like how you start to smell. ;)

Gyno Rhino
12-10-2001, 09:42 PM
How bout excess bananas?

Big Show
12-10-2001, 09:43 PM
I would say good and bad idea.Good because tuna is an excellent source of protein and it's cheap.Bad because I did that once ate alot of tuna and let me tell you,tuna not matter how you dress it up can get real boring real fast

Big Show
12-10-2001, 09:44 PM
Don't eat to many bananas because they are high GI carbs and will spike your insulin levels,its best to leave bananas till after your workout

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-11-2001, 04:52 AM
Big show that isn't true.

Gyno, the only concern really about eating too much tuna is the mercury content. On some days i eat three cans too, so if you're gonna die i'll be in the hospital bed right next to ya.

syntekz
12-11-2001, 06:24 AM
The tuna contains the mercury?

Tryska
12-11-2001, 06:35 AM
fresh tuna, from the sea and other large ocean-going predatorial fish contain mercury.

the tuna in cans is farm-raised..no mercury worries there.

ericg
12-11-2001, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
fresh tuna, from the sea and other large ocean-growing predatorial fish contain mercury.

the tuna in cans is farm-raised..no mercury worries there.

I have never seen tuna on farms up here in Miane?? Maybe I could look around and get some at wholesale:D

Tryska
12-11-2001, 07:06 AM
*lol*

i have no idea where they raise them...i just know it's farm-raised. can you imagine if all the tuna in all the cans in the world were wild-fished??

tuna would be extinct by now.

hemants
12-11-2001, 07:15 AM
Hmm, if most tuna is farm raised, I wonder why they make a big deal about dolphin friendly tuna?

Are there dolphins on the same farms? LOL

Tryska
12-11-2001, 07:18 AM
not sure......perhaps that's why it's dolphin-safe.

syntekz
12-11-2001, 07:44 AM
you sure you know what you're talking about tryska? :D

Tryska
12-11-2001, 07:48 AM
yeah....i read about the mercury thing a few months back, in Natrual Health magazine i think? or perhaps it was Alternative Medicine, although that's more of a journal....but the mercury warning was specificially about fresh tuna caught at sea. The stuff in cans, is farm raised, but with all the save the dolphins hoopla, it makes sense to put a disclaimer on the product. marketing mumbo jumbo, as best i can tell.

Tryska
12-11-2001, 08:01 AM
okay...after doing more research...not all of the canned tuna is farm-raised...just a percentage of it...but here's what the Canadian government has to say about it....(this is a little more detailed then the FDAs official message):

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/corpaffr/foodfacts/mercurye.shtml

Reinier
12-11-2001, 08:51 AM
"Canadian government "

*remembers that scene from South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut
"aboot"*

Jane
12-11-2001, 03:25 PM
the only thing wrong with having that much tuna is you might get sick of it. "no" you say " i will not, i like tuna, its easy and cheap, i have no probs sticking to my goals, etc". Thats what I said for a year when I ate the same freaking food every day. Then recently for a month i couldnt even look at a vegetable. You can imagine what that did to all my hardearned goals. Maybe im weak, but i think theres an element of human nature there. I just wouldnt want you to get so sick of tuna that you wouldnt be able to use its cheap, easy, quality protein because the sight (and smell) of it makes you gag.

Gyno Rhino
12-11-2001, 04:55 PM
Heheh.. I ate tuna every day for three straight months. I look at food as fuel and fuel alone. I've never had trouble sticking to a diet. :)

Jane
12-11-2001, 05:47 PM
impressive rhino, impressive. wanna teach me how to do that?

PowerManDL
12-11-2001, 05:58 PM
Mix it with spices and some cottage cheese. Makes the stuff taste halfway decent.

My favorite is a little garlic pepper and some Zatarain's.

12-11-2001, 06:26 PM
where the heck do you guys buy your tuna that you hate so dearly?
if your in canada just get president's choice (the best), or clover leaf. That stuff is nearly as tasty as chicken. Ya can't get sick of it.

Jane
12-11-2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Jane
impressive rhino, impressive. wanna teach me how to do that?

besides the tuna love affair, i also meant how to treat food as fuel only 100% of the time. what about birthday cake? :cry:

Jane
12-11-2001, 06:40 PM
oh wait, i got it. if you work out before your birthday party, you can use the cake as postworkout high-GI carbs!
of course, it would have to be angel food, so theres not so much fat...

enough of this nonsense. back to tuna.

the doc
12-11-2001, 08:27 PM
food is fuel
not every meal is for pleasure
when i eat tuna and peanut butter i know it is not the greatest tasting thing but it is giving me protein for muscle and good fat for energy and tissue building@!!

Gyno Rhino
12-11-2001, 09:22 PM
I weigh 230 at 5'10" with a higher bodyfat than I like. My bodyfat has gotten os high because I just keep on trying to bulk. I've gotten purty darn big, so I figure it's time to lean out for a while.

Anyone here ever dieted and lost muscle mass on 3500 cal?? I'm just nervous about losing muscle. I've had to work my ass off to get this big, don't wanna end up like a twig someday. I only wanna get to aroudn 12% or so (which has me losing 15lbs or so [quick math]). Just need to lean out some.

So is 3500 gonna put me at risk for muscle loss??

Delphi
12-17-2001, 05:31 PM
So if they farm-raise the tuna they put in cans, why don't they sell farm-raised tuna fresh, too? They could quit fishing for tuna completely. I smell a tuna here.

upstate dogie
12-17-2001, 05:47 PM
Yep, that article does not say anything about farm raised tuna. I have seen tuna fishing on ESPN and think they would be impossible to farm, they are too big and need too much room.

Sinep
12-17-2001, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
...tastes good...
what! *pukes*