PDA

View Full Version : Random: Cardio Machines Powering Gym

d'Anconia
06-28-2005, 12:51 AM
I was just wondering... wouldn't it be funny if somehow a gym had all the cardio machines being used powering the gym. At my gym there can be a good 50 people on cardio machines and I was thinking how funny it would be if the gym had a transformer or whatever to turn that kinetic energy into electricity. Obviously it's possible, more probable for some machines than others but how much electricity do you think that could generate?

Sorry, I don't know if this is in the right forum but whatever. Fitness is fitness.

Built
06-28-2005, 12:53 AM
I've often thought it would be interesting to run the stereo equipment on cardio power...

BG5150
06-28-2005, 01:03 AM
What if you were the first person in the gym in the morning? It'd be pretty dark and quiet. (although not that it would be a totally bad thing...)

d'Anconia
06-28-2005, 01:05 AM
What if you were the first person in the gym in the morning? It'd be pretty dark and quiet. (although not that it would be a totally bad thing...)

LOL that's true but you know what I mean, like during those times use regular electricity. I'm sure they could make a system that was effecient with it.

On another note I think i remember there being stationary bikes that are powered by the user. That's why you have to pedal before the LED screen thingy would turn on. Not positive though.

BG5150
06-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Take your idea government. You may be able to get a grant to test the feasibility. They've certainly subsidized many ideas without even half the brains of yours.

Guido
06-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Well, supposedly an average person on a stationary bike puts out about 150 watts worth of energy. Multiply that by however many are on the bikes at any one time and you can figure it out. Could work with the ellipticals, stairmasters, and nordic tracks, too. It would definitely be enough to power the lights and stereo system at the peak hours.

Pasha
06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
I was just wondering... wouldn't it be funny if somehow a gym had all the cardio machines being used powering the gym. At my gym there can be a good 50 people on cardio machines and I was thinking how funny it would be if the gym had a transformer or whatever to turn that kinetic energy into electricity. Obviously it's possible, more probable for some machines than others but how much electricity do you think that could generate?

Sorry, I don't know if this is in the right forum but whatever. Fitness is fitness.

I've thought about that many times. At my gym they have about 30-25 bikes and people are always in there. Just hook them up to one of those thingies you see on those cartoons and you have instant electricity, you could even store the electricity in cells. Seriously you could atleast use it to power the treadmills.