PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning inputting foods eaten into FitDay and other online food journals.

fixationdarknes
06-28-2005, 02:07 PM
I've tried various online food journals (including FitDay) and many times I will input a food that I've eaten (along with the serving size and amount) and I'll come up with many more or less calories than I actually ate. I tested this by calculating the calories and nutrients by hand (calculator and pencil) and it was less than what the online food journal said it was.

So, my question is: how can I be sure that FitDay (or whatever I use) is accurately keeping track of my diet? Should I just calculate everything by manually by hand?

EJFan
06-28-2005, 02:19 PM
personally, if i can't find a reasonably close figure with a preexisting food in fitday, i create a custom food... i did this for natty pb, whey, oatmeal and many other things. no problems, no worries.

besides... it's just an estimate. a few calories one way or the other isn't going to make a huge difference.

fixationdarknes
06-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Oh...you can customize. I guess Fitday IS pretty cool. I see. So, when things are relatively close to calories and grams of carbs, protein, and fat, you just leave it the way it is?

fixationdarknes
06-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Another question: I now know that you can customize pre-existing foods on Fitday, but can you create foods? When I say create foods, I mean name the food and customize it from there, because what if I eat something that's not on the list of foods?

EJFan
06-28-2005, 02:28 PM
for me, personally, if a listed food is close i don't bother with a custom entry unless it's something i eat OFTEN. if it's off by a few cals (like spreadable fruit is off by 4 calories) i don't bother. why would i care if my daily total is off by 5 or 10 cals out of 2500?

YungLifter
06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
yep i did that for ALL my foods that I eat. I put in for example Oatmeal put serving size and write in the nutritional facts

Jorge Sanchez
06-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Fitday is usually off on most of the things that I eat, but I don't really worry about it unless its way off. I figure that it all balances out in the end since some are overestimates and others underestimates. And I eat pretty much the same things everyday with a slight variation so as long as the calculations are consistent you can accurately guage whether you should increase of decrease calories based on weight gains/loss.

fixationdarknes
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
See well that's the thing, I know it doesn't matter if it's off by a bit, but when I inputted that I ate like half a cup of peanuts, it was off by a couple hundred cals. That's what I was concerned about. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

YungLifter
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
wow half a cup of peanut off by a couple hundred cal? 1/2 cup of peanuts is lik 150cals how can it be off by a couple hundred maybe you had the serving size wrong.

fixationdarknes
06-28-2005, 04:03 PM
I dunno, maybe so. But I customized the peanuts so now it's fine. Oh, and another question:

What do you guys put in your FitDay for your whey protein shakes? I searched for 'whey' and didn't really find what I was looking for.

Jorge Sanchez
06-28-2005, 04:48 PM
I get all my protein from whole foods, but my guess is you'd have to customize that one.

fixationdarknes
06-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Ah, thanks. I customized it. :) Btw, does anyone know how to uncustomize a food?

dw06wu
06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Ah, thanks. I customized it. :) Btw, does anyone know how to uncustomize a food?
I just customize everything. It doesn't take long to do.

I think when you customize a food it generates a new object in the list. You should always be able to access the regular object from the fitday database if you look it up again. An easy way to check this would be to rename all your custom foods. I haven't used fitday in a while, so not much help here.

fixationdarknes
06-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Oh thanks. I sort of tested your theory by just permanently deleting my custom food and I once again found the food in the FitDay list. :)

Hockey66
06-28-2005, 06:36 PM
wow half a cup of peanut off by a couple hundred cal? 1/2 cup of peanuts is lik 150cals how can it be off by a couple hundred maybe you had the serving size wrong.

Thats what he means I guess.. FitDay says 424 for 1/2 cup. I guess I've been eating less calories than I thought :(

fixationdarknes
06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I find quite a few things off by calories...I just customize most things now...and it's really not hard to do. It takes like 30 seconds. The only things I don't customize are the dinners my mom cooks for me...(food without wrappers that have nutrition information on them).

fixationdarknes
06-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Okay, I just went to a swim party...and I had:

-2 slices of a large alfredo chicken pizza
-2 slices of a large pepperoni and sausage pizza
-1 slice of a large pepperoni pizza
-1 slice of a large hawaiian pizza

What do I put for that in FitDay?...I searched and all I could find was a bunch of full pizzas...I want to input slices, not whole pizzas. And I can't customize it because it was from Papa Johns so I don't know what the nutrition facts are.

--edit: Oh wait, I'm an idiot...I just found nutrition facts on Papa Johns website.