PDA

View Full Version : Supplements for a Healthy Lifestyle

MM
06-29-2005, 07:42 PM
My question is fairly basic: which supplements are essential for a healthy lifestyle, and more specifically, what should be taken that one is unlikely to get from food sources?

My current supplements are:

Fish Oil
Flaxseed Oil
Green Tea Caps
Multivitamin
Creatine
Whey Protein

I'm interested in anything that has cancer preventive aspects, helps strengthen the heart, etc. I think I have my bases covered well, but I want to know if there's anything I'm missing. I certaintly have enough calcium in my diet.

Thanks,

MM

Unholy
06-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Glucosamine keeps your joints healthy.

ddegroff
06-29-2005, 08:04 PM
All of them are good. Any anti-oxidents will be cancer preventing. I took all of those and still take a few. Right now im trying to get all my nutrients from natural or whole food. Just tryin to see if it helps my gains.

sorry ill try to answer the rest of your question:
I would say whey and creatine as far as unlikely to get from food. Granted red meat has creatine but its trace amounts. Also i know whey comes from the by product of making cheese.

Built
06-29-2005, 08:55 PM
A pound of fish or red meat has about a gram of creatine. More than trace, but not quite as high as many of us take at supplemental levels.

You might add selenium to this mix.

I prefer fish oil to flax, I don't think there's any need for both. I take a small amount of vitamin E to help my body use the omega 3s (I think that's why I take it ... ;) )

MSM works really well with glucosamine.

ddegroff
06-29-2005, 09:52 PM
A pound of fish or red meat has about a gram of creatine. More than trace, but not quite as high as many of us take at supplemental levels.

I agree but to get from taking creatine monohydrate or something like that you would need to eat like 5lbs of red meat. Thats a lot compared to a tbs of creatine powder. Thats why i said a "trace". I never knew fish had that much creatine, thanks built.

Built
06-29-2005, 10:22 PM
I didn't know fish had that much either. I knew about the red meat. I'm curious if it varies from fish to fish.

Meh. Who cares? Creatine's cheap.

:)

ddegroff
06-29-2005, 10:45 PM
yeah way cheap and it lasts a long time.

MM
06-30-2005, 06:56 AM
Glucosamine and MSM for joints and muscle pain.

Thanks.

Unholy
06-30-2005, 07:13 AM
Werd, I actually felt a difference with the glucosamine. Your joints almost feel lubed after a few weeks, and it think it helped my shoulder problems a bit.

ryuage
06-30-2005, 07:15 AM
selenium offers some cancer preventing measures as well as thyroid support.

MM
06-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks Ryu, I had never actually heard of selenium. However, this table at the ODS would seem to indicate that I'm getting enough selenium from food sources. It also is suggesting that too much selenium is a bad thing, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium.asp