PDA

View Full Version : substitute egg whites for eggs in recipe?

Chizniz16
07-02-2005, 02:46 PM
My egg whites come in a carton from the store. The egg whites are thinner than regular eggs after they have been mixed because of the yolks. Do you think I would be able to use store bought egg whites in a recipe that calls for eggs or would it loose it's consistancy. I dont want all the fat and cholesterol from regular eggs, and egg whites have more protein in them.

getfit
07-02-2005, 02:52 PM
i don't see the problem at all go for it!

Chizniz16
07-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Alright thanks, I will use this method for everything that envolves eggs now. I alwayz thaught that it was the yolk that was important, but guess not.

getfit
07-02-2005, 02:57 PM
what excatly are you making? if your receipe involves to add the yolk as well then do it!

yolks are a good source of fats!

Chizniz16
07-02-2005, 03:01 PM
well it will be spread on chicken breasts and then I will put bread crumbs on.
I'm cutting so I was worried about the fats.

getfit
07-02-2005, 03:05 PM
i think that does require a yolk or two!

if it balances out in your daily caloric intake i don't see the problem! :)

Chizniz16
07-02-2005, 03:07 PM
alright that will work.

ReelBigFish
07-02-2005, 10:36 PM
replacing whole eggs with whites in recipes like that is ok. But when it comes to things that baked goods and doughs is where it gets tricky because protein causes the product to be much drier.

Shao-LiN
07-03-2005, 12:42 AM
well it will be spread on chicken breasts and then I will put bread crumbs on.
I'm cutting so I was worried about the fats.

As long as you fit those fats into your caloric goals, there shouldn't be a problem.

Ricochet_kid
07-06-2005, 07:33 PM
If you're just looking for an egg-replacement and arent specifically concerned with getting the protein from your egg-whites then you can use flax seeds and water in many cases. A quick google yielded this link:
http://home.teleport.com/~noelvn/vegan/egg_replacers.html#flax

The flax also has omega3 oils. :)

I like to cook, and have had to cook for a vegan audience on more than one occasion so I've had to do some research.

If you're just looking to bread some chicken, I think you might also be able to use some flour and water to make a thin base for a batter. (add a bit of salt too)