PDA

View Full Version : How much canola oil should i be putting into my shakes?

J_weik
07-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Says its 120 calories (from fat) per tablespoon. Seems like a lot of fat..and it only adds 120 calories

getfit
07-02-2005, 05:54 PM
do you prefer canola oil to olive oil?

J_weik
07-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Its just was bought for me. Is there a difference?

getfit
07-02-2005, 06:07 PM
canola oil is more of an industrial oil like vegetable oil!

i would go with olive oil and flax oil much healthier!

J_weik
07-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Well I have canola oil lol. Can't help it. Just need to know how much i should be dumping into my shakes.

getfit
07-02-2005, 06:25 PM
dunno i personally wouldn't add canola oil to my shakes!

can you get olive oil at all or is it a problem for you?

J_weik
07-02-2005, 06:27 PM
my mom is the one who bought it. She said it costs too much.

There can't be much of a difference...

getfit
07-02-2005, 06:29 PM
ok then! i'd add some natty pb instead!

TheGimp
07-02-2005, 06:40 PM
None?

Unholy
07-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Canola oil is not good for you at all.

J_weik
07-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Noones answered yet lol. Whats the different between olive and Canola oil?

Paul Stagg
07-02-2005, 09:02 PM
One is made out of olives.

Unholy
07-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Canola oil is fake oil. The only reason it was aproved in the usa is because canada paid the food and drug administration. canola stands for canada + oil

Unholy
07-02-2005, 10:37 PM
"Canola oil from the rape seed, referred to as the Canadian oil because Canada is
mainly responsible for it being marketed in the USA. The Canadian government and
industry paid our Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) $50 million dollars
to have canola oil placed on the (GRAS) List "Generally Recognized As Safe" .
Thus a new industry was created. Laws were enacted affecting international
trade, commerce, and traditional diets. Studies with lab animals were
disastrous. Rats developed fatty degeneration of heart, kidney, adrenals, and
thyroid gland. When canola oil was withdrawn from their diets, the deposits
dissolved but scar tissue remained on all vital organs. No studies on humans
were made before money was spent to promote Canola oil in the USA."

ReelBigFish
07-02-2005, 10:47 PM

Canola is made from the rapeseed and has to be partially hydrogenated to turn it into a oil. So that means it is a source of Trans Fats, which are definately no good. Canola does contain omega 3's though but I wouldn't use it because of the adverse health effects of trans fats.

Olive Oil is made from the pressing of olives, It contains no omega 3 fats but does have some omega 6's. It is not part. hydro. and also contains mostly monosaturated fats which are good for the heart.

J_weik
07-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Dang. Mom was saying the Olive oil costs alot. I guess I'll just get it anyways. My protein shakes are only 350 calories atm, so I want to pump that up abit.

Patz
07-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Dang. Mom was saying the Olive oil costs alot. I guess I'll just get it anyways. My protein shakes are only 350 calories atm, so I want to pump that up abit.

Tell your mom to get it at Wal-Mart, or buy the store-brand. It's not expensive...

Or, pay for it out of your pimpology stipend!

Shao-LiN
07-03-2005, 12:41 AM
There can't be much of a difference...

Not really, just that one is olive oil and the other isn't.

As for how much to add to your shake...you tell us. Add in however much you feel you need to meet your calorie/macro goals for that particular meal.

Beholder
07-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Not really, just that one is olive oil and the other isn't.

As for how much to add to your shake...you tell us. Add in however much you feel you need to meet your calorie/macro goals for that particular meal.
And as long as you can stomach it. I for one cannot add a singled TBSP of any kind of oil tomy shakes as it really wrecks the taste for me.

Shao-LiN
07-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Sort of opposite for me. I don't taste it at all. The flavor of the protein tends to mask it.

TheGimp
07-03-2005, 04:17 AM

The lipid profile. Canola oil contains more polyunsaturated fat, specifically omega-6 which is generally undesirable. The ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 in one's diet is important with the ideal being around 1:1. With today's modern diets with their abundance of grains, the ratio tends to be between 30:1 and 50:1. The reason olive oil is recommended is because it is "neutral", containing mainly monounsaturated fat. It therefore can have little effect on the ratio.

TheGimp
07-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Rats developed fatty degeneration of heart, kidney, adrenals, and
thyroid gland. When canola oil was withdrawn from their diets, the deposits
dissolved but scar tissue remained on all vital organs.

Why? Because the natural diet of a rat is made up of grains, raw fruits and vegetables and is very low in fatty acids. Introduce a load of heavier fats into a critter's diet and sure all sorts of health problems might develop. Later studies demonstrated that cooking oils other than canola (specifically, sunflower seed oil) produced the same results in laboratory rats, as well as demonstrated that the digestive system of a rat is rather different from that of a human.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blcanola3.htm

Unholy
07-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Theres alot of debate about that on the internet, alot of reputable sources are going both ways. Canola oil is a big industry and they spend alot of time and money trying to get the public to believe its safe. Honestly as with any product that has that much contraversy around it I would stay away.

Shao-LiN
07-03-2005, 11:26 AM
In any event, I would take studies on rats with a grain of salt. We aren't rats.

Unholy
07-03-2005, 11:27 AM
In any event, I would take studies on rats with a grain of salt. We aren't rats.

Are you sure? Im getting hairy. Maybe its the canola oil?

BG5150
07-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Are you sure? Im getting hairy. Maybe its the canola oil?

Hairy on the palms? Then it's not the oil...lol

TheGimp
07-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Theres alot of debate about that on the internet, alot of reputable sources are going both ways. Canola oil is a big industry and they spend alot of time and money trying to get the public to believe its safe. Honestly as with any product that has that much contraversy around it I would stay away.

I'm certainly not recommending its consumption for the reasons I stated. I thought it was worth mentioning the other side of the argument however.

Patz
07-03-2005, 02:09 PM
I think we can all agree that olive oil is the better choice, and that the thread starter needs a paper route.

d'Anconia
07-03-2005, 06:36 PM
To the original poster, yeah try going with olive oil or extra virgin olive oil.

Expensive? If i really wanted something really bad I'd try again to persuade my parents or save up money or...and this is me... steal it from the store LOL. Of course I'm a low-life like that some time.

One big thing of olive oil will add tens of thousands of calories to your diet so I think it's worth it.

Anyway in my protein shakes I probably add 2-3 tbsp of it, I find that with certain protein shakes it really makes it taste a lot better.

Patz
07-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Do not steal olive oil..or anything else for that matter.