PDA

View Full Version : Bulking gets rid of abs?

teege
07-03-2005, 03:11 PM
I have always been lifting with what I know now as a cutting routine, and I developed some nice muscles, including some visible abs.

I havent seen too much evidence to prove this yet, but will bulking (lifting heavier/less reps, and eating a lot more) cause me to lose my visible abs?

It seems like abs will be the first to go as I will put on a little fat.

Nito
07-03-2005, 03:16 PM
If your intake is over maintaince you will gain weight. It is highly probable that during the bulking phase you will put on fat. If you are very concerned with gaining fat try to eat clean foods, and bulk slowly.

Abs aren't necessarily the first place that fat will accumulate. Where you store fat is based on genetics.

Shao-LiN
07-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Though the first place most people tend to store fat is their midsection. Others are more genetically gifted and store fat more evenly all over their body, but for the most part, midsections tend to be the first to gain and last to lose.

Patz
07-03-2005, 05:19 PM
I have always been lifting with what I know now as a cutting routine, and I developed some nice muscles, including some visible abs.

I havent seen too much evidence to prove this yet, but will bulking (lifting heavier/less reps, and eating a lot more) cause me to lose my visible abs?

It seems like abs will be the first to go as I will put on a little fat.

Unless you're an absolute genetic freak (which I'll presume you're not), your abs WILL be the first thing to go. I'm not saying that it's the first place to pick up fat, because in theory you're putting on weight all over, but different areas are gonn pick up more than others by genetics.

Abs are a direct result of diet. Lots of calories=bye bye abs. Dropping FAT (fat..not weight in general, because weight is a braod term)=seeing abs at some point, when bodyfat is low enough. That bodyfat percentage is usually under 11-12%, but varies with the individual.

Lifting heavier should actually HELP the size of the abdominal muscles, so that's a bonus for you (because you ARE working abs with regular set/rep scheme, and NOT 50 crunches, right?). If the abs get a taste of some true heavy movements, they may perk up more than you're used to, and do some growing. If your bulk is clean enough, you MIGHT even offset the FAT gain that's associated with it as far as visible abs are concerned.

You'll just have to try it and see. You sound like a guy with a metabolism that could get them back quick enough anyway.

Unholy
07-03-2005, 06:48 PM
I have no agree, stop worrying about the abs so much, bulk in the fall through the winter and cut in the spring, that is a very popular thing to do in the community.

Canadian Crippler
07-03-2005, 06:52 PM
If your intake is over maintaince you will gain weight. It is highly probable that during the bulking phase you will put on fat. If you are very concerned with gaining fat try to eat clean foods, and bulk slowly.

Abs aren't necessarily the first place that fat will accumulate. Where you store fat is based on genetics.OOOOOOOOooooooooo. "Hey guys! My name is Nito LOL! I know my stuffz kekekeke!!!"

Nito is right, in most cases in bulking you'll put on atleast some fat and that will cause for your abs to be less visible.

shootermcgavin7
07-03-2005, 08:37 PM
How high of a bf% do you plan on bulking to?

teege
07-03-2005, 08:42 PM
I dont really want to change my BF%. Ideally, I want to gain all muscle. 10-15lbs of it....

Unholy
07-03-2005, 08:44 PM
thats tough, but in theory it would lower your BF and make your abs show even more.

Built
07-03-2005, 08:44 PM
I dont really want to change my BF%. Ideally, I want to gain all muscle. 10-15lbs of it....

What a coincidence! Nobody here wants to gain bodyfat during a bulk either!

You'll fit right in.

:D

shootermcgavin7
07-03-2005, 08:56 PM

That's typically not going to work as well. I pissed away a couple of years trying to do this, and I have a relatively fast metabolism. You end up not putting on much quality weight at all.

From personal experience; I would just lift heavy and eat like crazy and see where you end up.

Yes, you'll put on some fat, but as others have mentioned, as you gain muscle mass, the denominator on the bf equation also goes up.

Shao-LiN
07-03-2005, 09:43 PM

I'll pray for you.

fixationdarknes
07-04-2005, 09:31 PM
I'll pray for you.

ROFL...same here.

Unholy
07-04-2005, 10:36 PM
:withstupi

pfc3rex
07-05-2005, 01:19 AM

You need a personal geenie to get that wish

SalahG
07-05-2005, 02:49 AM
You need a personal geenie to get that wish
Or a source for the juice. I guess they're the same thing.

dissipate
07-05-2005, 03:26 AM
bulk in the fall through the winter and cut in the spring, that is a very popular thing to do in the community.

it's tropical here all year long!! :cry:

Unholy
07-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Arg, and you are lucky!, where in Asia do you reside?

dissipate
07-05-2005, 09:53 PM
lucky?! it's way too hot for my atopic eczema'd skin! and i can't wear layers of winter clothing to cover my fatty body when i bulk!

i live in singapore :)

Unholy
07-05-2005, 09:57 PM
nice, hey atleast you dont have to own winter clothing.

dissipate
07-05-2005, 11:18 PM
eh.. i like denim jackets and boots... but it's too hot to wear them here!