PDA

View Full Version : Cardio when trying to bulk?

MassMan06
07-04-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm trying to bulk up this summer and I've been getting mixed answers as to whether I should be doing cardio. It seems odd that I would burn calories while trying to consume more at the same time. Should I do no cardio, a little bit, or a lot? I work out 6 days/week so I was thinking 15 minutes a day would be fine. Any advice?

Unholy
07-04-2005, 10:54 PM
I wouldnt do it, just lift hard and heavy.

MixmasterNash
07-04-2005, 10:57 PM
15 minutes a day is pointless if you're trying to bulk.

1-2 somewhat longer sessions a week to maintain cardiovascular fitness is a better plan. Spend the other time lifting and eating.

zimbo
07-04-2005, 10:59 PM
I think it depends on your overall fitness goals. If being big is your primary goal then extended cardio works against that. However, unless you have already spent lots of time in the weight room (i.e. years) my opinion is that you can improve your cardiovascular fitness AND muscular fitness at the same time provided you eat enough.

If you're already working out 6 days a week (I'm assuming you don't mean LIFTING six days a week because that's way too much for most people) that's probably more than necessary.

Again, it depends on your goals. If you wanna be a hulk then the advice to avoid cardio is probably good. If you want to be a triathlete or whatever with a cut physique then you're going to need to do lots of cardio and EAT A LOT as part of your fitness routine.

--Steve

Unholy
07-04-2005, 10:59 PM
It is a fact that lifting is just as good for cardio vascular fitness as cardio, keeps your heartrate up, as long as you dont take long breaks between ses you should be holding a sweat and have an elevated heartrate throughout your workout, hence even while on a cut many choose to stay away from it.

ryuage
07-05-2005, 12:16 AM
and most people who say what you just stated are obviously also cardiovascularly out of shape as yourself :D

pfc3rex
07-05-2005, 12:26 AM
and most people who say what you just stated are obviously also cardiovascularly out of shape as yourself :D

pwned!

I would devote one day for cardio, something such as HIIT would be beneficial (sp?)

body
07-05-2005, 02:54 AM
15 minutes a day is pointless if you're trying to bulk.

why? esepcially if he trains very hard for those 15 minutes?

Unholy
07-05-2005, 07:22 AM

Played Lacrosse for two years and I longboard on a very regular basis, Believe me cardiovascularlyI am in shape. Also It was on this site that I read that High intensity weightlifting has all of the benefits of cardio. I also read this on the site with the 3 day carb cycling diet, And I think (but dont quote me on it) In lyle's book.

MixmasterNash
07-05-2005, 08:22 AM
why? esepcially if he trains very hard for those 15 minutes?

That's even worse!!!

15 minutes a day is fine if he's trying to lose weight, but pointless if he's trying to bulk. A small number of sessions a week is fine for maintaining cardio fitness, whether simple cardio, HIIT, whatever. No need to do it all of the time.

Pasha
07-05-2005, 09:44 AM
I'd do no more than 2wice a week of10-15 minutes spread .. Just to keep the excess fat off and the arteries clean.

body
07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
That's even worse!!!

15 minutes a day is fine if he's trying to lose weight, but pointless if he's trying to bulk. A small number of sessions a week is fine for maintaining cardio fitness, whether simple cardio, HIIT, whatever. No need to do it all of the time.

ok 6 time 15 minutes may be a little to much. but a good ahrd 15 minutes can be a better way than 2 longer suggestions to keep up general health levels.