PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan's Journal

MalteseAnimal
07-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey all,

I got my gym membership last night. Tonight at 5pm I am going in for a fit test, and I will post my results when I get them.

I also bought Creatine, Protein, and Multi-Vitamins yesterday. My diet is finally coming into check as well. I want to shed some fat before I start bulking. I'm 23 years old, about 6'1 and 200lbs. I want to shed at least 20lbs of fat first. I'm going to be using the WBB #1.

Thanks for all the help from everyone so far! (getfit, XxH0LyWaRsxX, built, etc) :)

Going for my fit test in 3.5 hours! Starting routines tomorrow!

See ya!
-Jonathan

getfit
07-05-2005, 11:29 AM
welcome to journal land! GOOD LUCK! :)

Unholy
07-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Good luck with all of your goals, if you have questions MSN me.

MalteseAnimal
07-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys :)

MalteseAnimal
07-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Okayyyyyyy I just got back from my fit test.......and

I got OWNED!

They basically said I'm TERRIBLY out of shape for my age. My body fat % was so high, he thought the computer had messed up. lol. My BF% is abnormally high at 37%! But he's like "you don't LOOK like you have that much body fat". And, it's true, I don't. I'm 6'1 204lbs. He said I don't have a lot of Lean Body Mass.

Man, I was so motivated this morning. I'm sorta bummed about my results. I'm below average in every single excerise we did. Basically I should get like 2000 Calories a day, if I want to lose 2lbs a week. He said I can get about 40lbs of fat off my body. I'm not really sure how I'm going to accomplish that just yet, but ..we'll see. 2000 calories a day.. I don't even know how to design a diet like that.

Anyways, I got some reading to do. Any suggestions are appreciated guys..

Talk to you later :(

Jonathan :(

debussy
07-05-2005, 04:17 PM
hey man post pics so peple on this forum can tell you your bf%. i wouldnt trust the fit test. they just want to make some $$$ off you.

MalteseAnimal
07-05-2005, 04:24 PM
It was a free fit test. I think it's almost accurate though. I have been out of shape since I quit smoking 6 months ago. It's odd that I was way more in shape when I still smoked! lol.

getfit
07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
It was a free fit test. I think it's almost accurate though. I have been out of shape since I quit smoking 6 months ago. It's odd that I was way more in shape when I still smoked! lol.
time to get in shape ;) all in good time concentrate on your diet and training everything will fall into place! :)

Unholy
07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
I agree with getfit, Post up some pics, those electronic testers are ussually rubish.

MalteseAnimal
07-05-2005, 07:24 PM
I gotta try to get a Digital Camera. But I do weigh 204. Which is pretty heavy considering I was skinny like a year ago.

MalteseAnimal
07-05-2005, 07:25 PM
It all seemed to go downhill once I quit smoking.

getfit
07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
It all seemed to go downhill once I quit smoking.
keep your head up high son! all in good time :)

MalteseAnimal
07-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the support. I must admit, I was really down after I got the results. But after a couple hours, I feel great again and highly motivated to shed all the fat I can :)

Unholy
07-05-2005, 07:43 PM
I started at 244 3 months ago, so dont worry.

MalteseAnimal
07-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Today I woke up and made some juice with the juicer. I juiced 3 sticks of celery, 3 carrots, and 1 apple to make about 500ml of juice! Then I mixed 2 scoops of protein with 500ml of water. Then I had some oatmeal cereal with 2% milk.

Around 10am, I had a snack.. an apple.

At 12:30pm, I had a Mr. Sub turkey submarine. I'm not too sure how many calories it had. But I got a 12" on whole wheat bread. Toppings were one slice of cheese, lettuce, green peppers, onions, turkey and one thin line of Mayo. Is this too much? I'm trying not to consume too many calories.

Anyone have any advice about MR. SUB submarines?

Gonnna have a snack around 3pm (Banana). Hit the Gym at 5:30pm, get home.. Eat dinner. (not sure what I'm going to eat yet).

Oh and as of 1pm, I've drank about 2L of water.

Unholy
07-06-2005, 11:16 AM
check the sub website for nutrition info, Try to include some healthy fat and protein snacks. the fruit are allrighty but you need more protein and less fast sugars.

MalteseAnimal
07-06-2005, 11:24 AM
What are some good protein snacks I could buy? Just little snacks..

Unholy
07-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Peanuts would knock down two birds with one stone, string cheese, some turkey slices with cottage cheese and tomato, other kinds of nuts like almonds.

MalteseAnimal
07-06-2005, 11:28 AM
FitDay says 1 cup of almonds is like 800 calories. woah. heh.. I want to try to keep my calories around 2000 a day.

Anthony
07-06-2005, 11:37 AM
37% @ 6'1, 204lbs? I HIGHLY doubt it. My guess is they used a bioelectrical impedance device which is almost never accurate. Either way, you have to start some where, so don't let the "fit test" discourage you. If anything, it should motivate you to make some changes. Good luck!!

MalteseAnimal
07-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks Anthony. Yes, I was down right after the test. But after I kept looking at the paper (results), I got motivated again. lol. Yes, I was surprised by 37% too. It could be wrong, but it doesn't matter - you're right I have to start somewhere.

Anthony
07-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Well, I'm not surprised because most gyms use bioelectrical impedance and it's very sensitive to hydration, food intake, and skin temperature. Basically it's the most inaccurate way to measure body fat. So if that's what they used, I really doubt you are 37%. Get some calipers or pay for a hydrostatic weighing from a local university if you are curious about a more accurate number.

Anthony
07-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I also think 2000 calories is low to be starting out with. Figure out what you are eating now and then slowly reduce.

MalteseAnimal
07-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Well cutting out ****ty foods from my diet should be a big cut all by itself. Fast food, junk food, etc.. lol

Anthony
07-06-2005, 11:59 AM
True, but if you're currently eating 4000 calories and you drop it to 2000, there's a good chance your metabolism will come to a screeching halt and your weight loss could very well be muscle instead of fat. If you do some reading around the site you'll notice that most people gradually reduce calories so this doesn't happen. ;)

MalteseAnimal
07-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey guys,

Just got back from my first day at the gym. I started WBB #1. But I started Day 3 Legs" today. Friday will be Day 5, Mondays Day 1, etc. This way I have the weekends off :P

Anyways, I hit it pretty hard. 2 sets of hard 6-8 reps per machine. The only thing I used the barbell for was Straight Legged Deadlifts, and Hack Squats. For the rest of the leg exercises, I used the machines. For sqauts, I used the machine where you sit and push the plate away from your body.

Should I be doing this? Or should I be using the barbell for as many exercises as I can?

Anyways, I just got home, took my protein and creatine. Am going to eat some brown rice and chicken in about 30 mins.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Thanks.

-Jonathan

SW
07-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Peanuts would knock down two birds with one stone, string cheese, some turkey slices with cottage cheese and tomato, other kinds of nuts like almonds.

+ tuna. Never forget tuna. Also skinless chicken rocks. Good journal so far man. Good luck, you seem to be serious about this.

getfit
07-06-2005, 03:47 PM
if it fits in your daily caloric intake maybe have a little steamed broccoli or green beans like a cup full!

also before bed some cottage cheese with an apple just a thought! :)

MalteseAnimal
07-06-2005, 04:02 PM
+ tuna. Never forget tuna. Also skinless chicken rocks. Good journal so far man. Good luck, you seem to be serious about this.

Thanks, Nick - I am serious! :) And Tuna is a great idea. Maybe tuna on whole wheat bread for a mid day snack?

Getfit, yes Cottage cheese is also a good idea. I'm gonna go buy some :P

Unholy
07-06-2005, 07:41 PM
yup yup, also bro, personally I would use freeweights for the excersizes in WBB1, you cannot replace squats with legpress, Even though it seems like the same thing its it not believe me, you use your entire body to squat, squating also stimulates your whole body to grow. Next time dont woryr about how much weight you use with free weights, take your time, nail the form down, and you will thank me in a month ;)

Canadian Crippler
07-06-2005, 08:53 PM
All these new lifters getting the form down on SLDL, meanwhile I'm stuck breaking my back with them. BAH. ;)

Use BB for your squats and SLDL... I personally would use the hack squat machine (or leg press) for the hack squats but thats up to you.

MalteseAnimal
07-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey guys,

Woke up this morning made my protein and creatine shake. Also juiced Vegetables again for a 500ml glass of goodness :) Then ate some oatmeal cereal.

Had a banana for a snack. Been drinking a lot water.

Lunch, I just had a steak sandwich on Rye Bread.

MalteseAnimal
07-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Just got back from dinner. I had a Chicken Schwarma. It's sort of like a Pita. It had chicken, lettuce, and onions on it.

You guys think my meals for today were decent? I'm going to have a couple pieces of fruit in an hour or so with my protein shake.

Focused70
07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
You need to EAT more.

MANGIA!!! MANGIA!!! Take a lesson from all those hefty Italian-American grandmothers and shovel the food in.

I'd post some food pr0n but you're not worthy yet. :)

Stash

MalteseAnimal
07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm not bulking, I'm cutting. Trying to keep my calories low, and protein high. Also, since I take these protein and creatine shakes...plus all the water I drink: I feel bloated all the time. lol.

But seriously, this isn't enough for cutting?

Unholy
07-07-2005, 06:16 PM
www.fitday.com

track them cals.

MalteseAnimal
07-07-2005, 06:17 PM
I admit I'm having a hard time tracking my cals. How do you do it guys. Like today I had a pita for dinner. I'm not sure how much chicken they put on it... and for lunch, I'm not sure how much steak and stuff... know what I mean?

Unholy
07-07-2005, 06:45 PM
guestimate

MalteseAnimal
07-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey,

Did my usual breakfast routine. For lunch I had Chicken Teryaki with rice and vege's from this Japanese place near my work.. It was pretty good :)

Going to the gym tongiht, I'l update further then~

MalteseAnimal
07-08-2005, 07:07 PM
The gym tonight was great. Did shoulders, bi's and tri's. They feel really good right now. I especially like the Military Press exercise... it kicked my ass! lol.

Got home took my protein and creatine. A bit later had a steak and one potato.

Going to a bar now, not gonna drink though. But if I did want to drink, what could I get that is not too unhealthy? Beer is out of the question, and anything with Pop. Maybe jin and tonic? Not sure. Tonight I'll be drinking water at the bar though.. maybe a diet coke.

See ya, for whoever's reading :)

-Jonathan

MalteseAnimal
07-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey all, my weekend was quiet and low key. I'm following WBB1 so I get weekends off :P I've been eating pretty well I think too.

Anyways, back in the gym tomorrow!

MalteseAnimal
07-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Hey,

What a workout I did last night lol. Well first of all I got home from work, went straight to the gym. Right after that I went to my hockey game. Man was I tired when I got home.

I worked out chest and back yesterday. I had huge problems with "deadlifts". It felt like it was hurting my lower back (to the bone). I'm gonna have to try it again next time, but I skipped that exercise because all I felt was pain to the bone.

Anyways, hope I have better luck next time heh

Unholy
07-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Yeah good luck, its most likely a form issue. Im sure you will nail em down.

MalteseAnimal
07-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey guys,

The gym has been going good. Yesterday I did legs, and I'm beat! Legs are very sore today, but not to an extreme point (which is good I guess). I gained 2 lbs.-4 lbs. since I started working out.

getfit
07-14-2005, 11:24 AM
don't worry about soreness it's not an indicator that your not progressing! :)