PDA

View Full Version : I ran out of natty pb today...

fixationdarknes
07-06-2005, 02:21 PM
...and wanted to make a pb sandwich, so I used the pb with vegetable oils and all that unhealthy stuff (and it was creamy too, I hate creamy lol) and wow I have realized how natty pb tastes SO MUCH BETTER and not to mention it's more healthy for you. I wonder sometimes how people live without natty pb.

Unholy
07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Vegetable oil is not unhealthy.

getfit
07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
oh well one sandwich won't hurt! natty is great

Unholy
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Grr I hate cutting, Me wants peanut butter, I actually like it from the fridge nice and hard :D

ElPietro
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Thank you for sharing.

The difference between them is that the oil is hydrogenated in the processed peanut butter.

getfit
07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
yep that's how i eat it! with some ice-cream though :p

EJFan
07-06-2005, 02:30 PM
... so I used the pb with vegetable oils and all that unhealthy stuff...

*gasps sharply*

lol... after eating natty pb for so long i think the "regular" stuff tastes like plastic. in the jif commercial it even LOOKS like plastic.

fixationdarknes
07-06-2005, 02:30 PM
ElPietro, yes that's what I meant...the hydrogenated crap. It gives my throat a bad aftertaste. In fact, I can still taste it now. :bang:

getfit
07-06-2005, 02:36 PM
fix i wouldn't worry about it! get yourself some natty and that's it!

fixationdarknes
07-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I know, I'm just pointing out that hydrogenated veggie oil pb tastes nasty. I wasn't saying that I can never get natty pb again or anything.

Ignoramus
07-06-2005, 05:37 PM
I just ate some natty pb for the first time, holy **** that stuff is like rubber cement, tastes good though.

Built
07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Rubber cement? Didn't you stir in the oil?

fixationdarknes
07-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Lol...rubber cement? How does it taste like rubber cement?

getfit
07-06-2005, 06:30 PM
i would guess if he dumped the oil it does look pasty and cement like!

fixationdarknes
07-06-2005, 06:52 PM
lol...don't dump the oil haha. You're supposed to eat that too.

Ignoramus
07-06-2005, 07:08 PM
I meant it was really sticky, I could barely open and close my jaw. Rubber cement dosent taste awesome either. And yeah I stirred in the oil.

fixationdarknes
07-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Hm, that's weird. Maybe you have a weak jaw lol. My jaw does fine with it.

Unholy
07-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Lol, I tried Builts little recipie today, diping pieces of apple in peanut butter, holy cow is it good. I tried it with reg though, need to pic up some natty stuff this weekend.

fixationdarknes
07-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Hehe, I do that all the time! It is pretty good.

Built
07-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Lol, I tried Builts little recipie today, diping pieces of apple in peanut butter, holy cow is it good. I tried it with reg though, need to pic up some natty stuff this weekend.

It's TOO good. It's like candy!

bradley
07-07-2005, 10:07 AM
I really don't think it is going to matter whether you eat natural pb or commercial brands (Jiff, Peter Pan, Skippy, etc.). If you prefer one over the other then go with it.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010612.htm

getfit
07-07-2005, 10:10 AM
I really don't think it is going to matter whether you eat natural pb or commercial brands (Jiff, Peter Pan, Skippy, etc.). If you prefer one over the other then go with it.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010612.htm
why would you want to consume all those plastic fats that are in those commercial brands and not use all natural pb!

bradley
07-07-2005, 10:32 AM
why would you want to consume all those plastic fats that are in those commercial brands and not use all natural pb!

Did you read the link that I posted? The amount of trans-fatty acids in regular peanut butter is not significant, which is why I recommended eating what you like.

ElPietro
07-07-2005, 11:37 AM
To me, I find virtually no difference in taste from regular or Natty PB. Other than if you get like the smooth and creamy types.

I'd generally use natural simply because it's just that, and has less processing. I never claimed anything on trans-fat, only that it contains hydrogenated fat, which to me if I don't need it, and it doesn't impact taste, I might as well go without it.

Ultimately, you could make your own PB in a blender with some of your own olive oil if you want to be super hardcore on the issue.

Ultimately, I agree with Bradely, probably not gonna make a huge difference either way, unless you are a PB freak like Getfit.

Built
07-07-2005, 11:43 AM
So you trust the USDA for information about their opinion of "insignificant" amounts of food additives?

Most of us here consume natural PB for the healthy fat. If I'm going to bother eating a fat, I would rather get it right.

:)

getfit
07-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Did you read the link that I posted? The amount of trans-fatty acids in regular peanut butter is not significant, which is why I recommended eating what you like.
my bad! no i didn't read the link!

bradley
07-07-2005, 01:56 PM
So you trust the USDA for information about their opinion of "insignificant" amounts of food additives?

I do because that is one of the few sources that actually deal with the topic. I would suppose you do to since you are trusting the nutrition facts label on the side of the jar, which is only there because of the FDA, and I am sure you know they are a government organization as well. If you have anything stating something different I would be eager to read it.

Built
07-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, put it this way.

I believe they list what's actually in the jar, because that's easy to check.

But I come to a screeching halt when it comes to believing their guidelines for proper nutrition.

I'd no more believe them when they say the amount of trans-fat in peanut butter is insignificant than I would trust them for dietary guidelines (that would have me eating about 75g of protein on my roughly 2000-calorie-a-day diet).

Besides, many of us here are eating WAY more than a "serving" of peanut butter a day. And like I said, most of us eat it as a (yummy!) healthy fat source. Kinda defeats the purpose if that fat is partially wrecked before you eat it.

fixationdarknes
07-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Well, either way, if commercial pb isn't bad for you, I still think natty tastes better.